If you liked the old Frasier…….

Old 11-07-2023, 07:14 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

You're making me want to get the option to watch it now! Been happy enough with roof antenna here in TV but sure would like to see his new series. I think I'm on the third time seeing the old Frasier's, but the writing, wit and acting is still worth watching over and over!
Old 11-07-2023, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpfallert View Post
If you like Corner gas, you would most likely like another Canadian show, Kim’s Convenience.
Yes, Kim’s Convenience is great too!
Old 11-08-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
If you liked the old Frasier, you probably will like the new one.

Frasier is still the same old pompous, arrogant snob he always was, but a lot of years have passed. In the interim, he has made a lot of money with a television show and now has decided to retire and return to Boston where his son Freddy lives.

The storyline will be familiar to the old fans, but with a twist — the character of Freddy is like his grandfather.

The supporting cast are all very good, including Niles and Daphne’s son.

The same format is used with the clever titles for each scene and a touch here and there of the comedy of errors style of writing.

It is streaming on Paramount Plus and is now 5 episodes in.

Boomer

PS: Every once in a while, I like to revisit one of my favorite sitcoms Corner Gas for a few episodes. It is Canadian and now on Freevee. The only way to explain it is Seinfeld meets Northern Exposure.

I love well written sitcoms. But there are not many new ones.
Thanks, we like sitcoms. I've never heard Freevee.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:15 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

You guys are right. Kim’s Convenience is funny, and the humor is in the same vein as Corner Gas.

.And! Neither show has a laugh track.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Boomer
Old 12-30-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpfallert View Post
If you like Corner gas, you would most likely like another Canadian show, Kim’s Convenience.
Just finished Kim's Convenience on the recommendations in this thread. Excellent series, very funny. The trailer didn't do it justice.

Any other similar sitcoms anyone can recommend?
Old 12-30-2023, 07:39 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
Just finished Kim's Convenience on the recommendations in this thread. Excellent series, very funny. The trailer didn't do it justice.

Pugchief, if you have not yet watched Corner Gas, discussed previously in this thread, you might want to give it a try. It’s on Freevee.

If you would like to go back to an old one, I think Third Rock from the Sun is one of the best sitcoms ever written. John Lithgow is an outstanding actor. He was fantastic as Churchill in The Crown. . But he can do brilliant comedy, as well……..

Lithgow is comic genius in this one, as the arrogant, though often befuddled “High Commander” Dick Solomon, who has landed from outer space, along with his motley crew, to study us — in Ohio of all places. (Every episode title is a play on his first name.) The show ran from 1996 to 2001. I loved it then. And I still do. Every once in a while, I pick up on a few episodes if I need a laugh. An oldie but a goodie if you want to go back to the 90s.

Oh, and speaking of Dicks……Even though I liked it enough to start this thread, I have lost interest in Kelsey Grammer and his new Frasier. It has gone downhill.

Boomer
Old 12-30-2023, 10:08 PM

I didn’t see the old Frazier but I spent a few minutes watching this one. I said a few minutes because the laugh track was thoroughly awful. I can’t stand it when something or someone tells me when I should laugh.

Interesting side note, I think the character’s name is Niles, anyway a loooong time ago I watched a British show called Butterflies and the same actor played the youngest son. If anything made me feel old this was it!
Old 12-31-2023, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Pugchief, if you have not yet watched Corner Gas, discussed previously in this thread, you might want to give it a try. It’s on Freevee.

If you would like to go back to an old one, I think Third Rock from the Sun is one of the best sitcoms ever written. John Lithgow is an outstanding actor. He was fantastic as Churchill in The Crown. . But he can do brilliant comedy, as well……..

Yes thanks, I've already seen both of those series.

I was hoping for a recommendation on a newer sitcom currently running on Netflix, Prime or even one of the other streaming services.
Old 12-31-2023, 03:58 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:

I was hoping for a recommendation on a newer sitcom currently running on Netflix, Prime or even one of the other streaming services.

In the thread about Dr. Foster, the discussion grew to include other BBC shows. If you look through that thread, you will see talk about Kate and Koji., a sitcom. We liked it, in spite of the insane laugh track. You can get the info in that thread.

Now -- I am going to throw another one out here to you. Even though it is older, started in 2006, I don't think a lot of people have seen it.........

There is a British sitcom called The IT Crowd. It is about the people in the IT department, down in the basement of a big company. Moss and Roy can get themselves into some predicaments because they are both totally clueless about anything other than computers. The humor might seem a little off-the-wall to some people, but if you have ever known guys like Moss and Roy, it's funny.

I am not sure where to find it now, but I guess it's out there somewhere. A couple of episodes might step across a line, but something tells me you will survive that.

Boomer
Old 12-31-2023, 05:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:

There is a British sitcom called The IT Crowd. It is about the people in the IT department, down in the basement of a big company. Moss and Roy can get themselves into some predicaments because they are both totally clueless about anything other than computers. The humor might seem a little off-the-wall to some people, but if you have ever known guys like Moss and Roy, it's funny.

Ahhh... The IT Crowd. Chris O'Dowd, one of my favorites, is in it. If you have access to the following tv series, I recommend them.

The IT Crowd... click here.

Moone Boy... click here.

Get Shorty... click here.
Old 01-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:

Okey, Dokey, but this one comes with a WARNING: It has a whole lot of use of the eff-word, but that's how some people talk now on these shows, so I guess my ears are little numb to it.....

That, though, is not my reason for issuing a WARNING! The warning is because of about 4 very short scenes where the characters talk about some disgusting, offensive experiences. I almost turned it off with the first one. That kind of writing could easily have been edited out, but I guess some writers think their audiences like to be shocked. Nearly grossed me out. They were just talking about the stuff, not doing it, but still gross -- mercifully short talking though and I am glad we did not turn it off.....But just don't forget I WARNED you.....

So anyway, the show is Loudermilk. Loudermilk is a recovering alcoholic who runs a counseling group for alcohol and drug-addicted people who are trying to stay sober. The characters are interesting, and the writing is sharp-witted and darkly funny -- except for the few gross paragraphs of dialogue I could have done without.

Loudermilk, the main character, says things like we have probably all wished we could say. There is some excellent satire on various, annoying character-types we often meet in real life that is woven into the script. Loudermilk lets them know what he thinks of them. (And I almost always agreed with him.)

The priest in the church where the group meets is as interesting to see as the characters in the group.

So, if you are not a delicate flower, you might like Loudermilk. I debated about recommending it due to a few really offensive lines, but I decided I could do that here. I have friends in real life though that I know would be horrified.

But as far as the parts that offended me are concerned, I am very glad that I did not throw out the baby with bathwater.

Boomer

(I think it was either Amazon or Netflix.)
Old 01-22-2024, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Okey, Dokey, but this one comes with a WARNING: It has a whole lot of use of the eff-word, but that's how some people talk now on these shows, so I guess my ears are little numb to it.....

That, though, is not my reason for issuing a WARNING! The warning is because of about 4 very short scenes where the characters talk about some disgusting, offensive experiences. I almost turned it off with the first one. That kind of writing could easily have been edited out, but I guess some writers think their audiences like to be shocked. Nearly grossed me out. They were just talking about the stuff, not doing it, but still gross -- mercifully short talking though and I am glad we did not turn it off.....But just don't forget I WARNED you.....

So anyway, the show is Loudermilk. Loudermilk is a recovering alcoholic who runs a counseling group for alcohol and drug-addicted people who are trying to stay sober. The characters are interesting, and the writing is sharp-witted and darkly funny -- except for the few gross paragraphs of dialogue I could have done without.

Loudermilk, the main character, says things like we have probably all wished we could say. There is some excellent satire on various, annoying character-types we often meet in real life that is woven into the script. Loudermilk lets them know what he thinks of them. (And I almost always agreed with him.)

The priest in the church where the group meets is as interesting to see as the characters in the group.

So, if you are not a delicate flower, you might like Loudermilk. I debated about recommending it due to a few really offensive lines, but I decided I could do that here. I have friends in real life though that I know would be horrified.

But as far as the parts that offended me are concerned, I am very glad that I did not throw out the baby with bathwater.

Boomer

(I think it was either Amazon or Netflix.)
Ha. I'm already about halfway through it. Yes, great series.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:54 PM

Quote:

Kath & Kate, Seinfeld, All in the Family, Andy Griffith, The Good Place, Mr. Bean, Derry Girls, Everybody Loves Raymond, The Durrells in Corfu, Mrs. Mabel, The Office, Fisk, Loudermilk, Tacoma PD, The Indian Detective, and Reno 911 to name a few.

Some of them my husband watched together, we always watch a comedy for our last show, right now it’s Southpark, some are ones I watch and some are what he watches, but I think you’ve got some to try.
Old 01-23-2024, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw8700@outlook.com View Post
Kath & Kate, Seinfeld, All in the Family, Andy Griffith, The Good Place, Mr. Bean, Derry Girls, Everybody Loves Raymond, The Durrells in Corfu, Mrs. Mabel, The Office, Fisk, Loudermilk, Tacoma PD, The Indian Detective, and Reno 911 to name a few.

Some of them my husband watched together, we always watch a comedy for our last show, right now it’s Southpark, some are ones I watch and some are what he watches, but I think you’ve got some to try.
Thanks!
Old 01-23-2024, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

Just watched the last of this year's Vera series.
Only three x two hour shows.
The way the last one ended, thought series were finally finished.
Not so. Evidently, will return for a 2025 series, as long as dear old Brenda stays fit!

Tags
sitcoms, son, freddy, episodes, frasier

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.