If you liked the old Frasier…….

Old 11-07-2023, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I think the show won awards in Canada.

I never think of it as being about people from Saskatchewan; I just see it as being about people.

Boomer
Gal friend of mine in college hailed from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. Never even knew it existed until I met her.

Great name.
Old 11-07-2023, 08:12 AM
Gold member

I watched the first episode and didn't think it was very good. Laugh track and some corny jokes. I am a fan of the old Frasier in Seattle sitcom. Perhaps it will take a few episodes for it to hit its stride.
Old 11-07-2023, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Loved Cheers and have seen every one of their episodes but probably missed a few of Frasier.
Old 11-07-2023, 08:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
Watched Frazier often and enjoyed it. Kelsey Grammer is a great actor. He is also one of the most conservative actors in Hollywood. Don't agree with the woke description.
I liked him better as Sideshow Bob.
Old 11-07-2023, 09:00 AM

The show is great!
Old 11-07-2023, 09:15 AM

If you like Corner gas, you would most likely like another Canadian show, Kim’s Convenience.
Old 11-07-2023, 09:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpfallert View Post
If you like Corner gas, you would most likely like another Canadian show, Kim’s Convenience.
Yup.
Old 11-07-2023, 09:51 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpfallert View Post
Thank you.

I will try it.

Boomer
Old 11-07-2023, 10:18 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
I watched the first episode and didn't think it was very good. Laugh track and some corny jokes. I am a fan of the old Frasier in Seattle sitcom. Perhaps it will take a few episodes for it to hit its stride.

I sure agree with you about laugh tracks. And sometimes they are startlingly loud. I can’t believe the people who decide that stuff think they work. It has always seemed to me like some kind of lameazz attempt at mind control. . .

I find laugh tracks to be not only annoying and aggravating, but also just plain insulting. Sometimes I give up on a show because of those idiotic laugh tracks. And yet, here they are, still with us, after decade upon decade of television.

Ug, don’t get me started on laugh tracks. . .but. . . looks like you did, two paragraphs worth.

Back to the show — The episode where Frasier thinks the woman in her 20s is hitting on him is funny. . .

That reminds me, I also liked the Corner Gas episode where Oscar thinks Lacey has a thing for him.

Boomer

PS: On the gossipy sign — looks like Frasier has an outstanding plastic surgeon.
Old 11-07-2023, 01:58 PM

I just don't like the new one very well. The characters around him just don't do it for me unfortunately.
Old 11-07-2023, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
I thought it was boring, woke, and a complete waste of my time.
HaHa! I can’t help but giggle at some of the comments you folks make on here. 😂
Old 11-07-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
If you liked the old Frasier, you probably will like the new one.

Frasier is still the same old pompous, arrogant snob he always was, but a lot of years have passed. In the interim, he has made a lot of money with a television show and now has decided to retire and return to Boston where his son Freddy lives.

The storyline will be familiar to the old fans, but with a twist — the character of Freddy is like his grandfather.

The supporting cast are all very good, including Niles and Daphne’s son.

The same format is used with the clever titles for each scene and a touch here and there of the comedy of errors style of writing.

It is streaming on Paramount Plus and is now 5 episodes in.

Boomer

PS: Every once in a while, I like to revisit one of my favorite sitcoms Corner Gas for a few episodes. It is Canadian and now on Freevee. The only way to explain it is Seinfeld meets Northern Exposure.

I love well written sitcoms. But there are not many new ones.
We loved the original, and we’re enjoying this one. Great description of the series. Will look for Corner Gas. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2023, 04:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
It does get better. The first episode I felt like I was watching a high school play. The acting felt forced, the jokes were like they were waiting for the laughs after the punchline. I actually gave up half way through it. But then another forum had a thread on it and I decided to give it another shot.

We have enjoyed it. But I will concede that I haven't yet taken a liking to many of the characters. My favorite is actually Frasier's colleague professor in the psych department.

They are trying to replace Niles with his son, and trying to replace Martin with Freddy. Perhaps they should have gone with different personalities instead of copying characters no longer on the show.
Old 11-07-2023, 05:29 PM

I loved Frazier and think he and Niles were amazing together.
Old 11-07-2023, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
I thought it was boring, woke, and a complete waste of my time.
I am quick to stop watching overtly woke TV and movies. I did not find Frasier to be at all woke, in spite of it taking place at Harvard. It is anything but boring. Worth the watch.

Tags
sitcoms, son, freddy, episodes, frasier

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.