"Lawmen: Bass Reeves". (SPOILERS POSSIBLE)

Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2023, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts
Thumbs up "Lawmen: Bass Reeves". (SPOILERS POSSIBLE)

Lawmen: Bass Reeves - Wikipedia

Watched the first episode of this on Paramount + on Amazon Prime.

Very bloody beginning to the series with a battle from the Civil War and then the episode got more and more interesting. First two episodes are up today on Paramount +.
Old 11-06-2023, 12:21 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

Being an Oklahoma native, I was excited about this show about a local Oklahoma legend, whose exploits became the basis of the Lone Ranger comic books and tv show. I sure hope it gets better, once they get all the PC stuff and affirmative action hires out of the way. I found it particularly absurd that they used a couple of black people to play Seminole Indians. And I thought it was pretty cowardly to show Bass riding into battle for the Confederacy at the end of the war, under the less recognizable first flag of the Confederacy, rather than the later hated battle flag we're all familiar with.

Bass Reeves lived in a time of intense racism. And yet, as his story demonstrates, it was ironically easier to overcome that racism on the frontier than it is for many folks today. On the frontier, you sank or swam on your own merits, without hiring quotas and low standards. My own 6X-great-grandfather was a freed black man in Kansas, who married my white great-grandmother. We even have a picture of the family. The fact is, if you were a poor dirt farmer on the frontier, like my ancestors, you were far more likely to marry a black person than to own one. Poverty is a great equalizer.

It would be nice if this show told the story of a heroic black man succeeding on his own merits against difficult odds -- a role model for today's kids. But judging from the first episode, I suspect it will become yet another Hollyweird whine about the evil white devils, and we'll never get around to all those robbers and murderers that Bass defended my ancestors from, as a US Marshal in lawless Oklahoma.
Old 11-06-2023, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Lawmen: Bass Reeves - Wikipedia

Watched the first episode of this on Paramount + on Amazon Prime.

Very bloody beginning to the series with a battle from the Civil War and then the episode got more and more interesting. First two episodes are up today on Paramount +.
Note that Paramount Plus is not part of Amazon Prime. It is a separate streaming app that requires a subscription fee of $5.99 per month. And, you don't need to have Amazon Prime to get Paramount Plus. So, it really has nothing to do with Amazon Prime, except that you can watch the first episode of Lawman for free on Amazon Prime.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 11-06-2023 at 01:03 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
episode, lawmen, battle, series, civil

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.