Reacher (2022) Amazon Prime series.

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2022, 07:30 AM

TC makes great movies, I don’t care what he does on his off time……one of the greatest actors ever…..the new Reacher is good too, maybe a little too large but they shouldn’t have killed off Joe in the first episode……just sayin
Old 02-06-2022, 08:22 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersweeney View Post
TC makes great movies, I don’t care what he does on his off time……one of the greatest actors ever…..the new Reacher is good too, maybe a little too large but they shouldn’t have killed off Joe in the first episode……just sayin
As I have read most of the many Lee Child Jack Reacher books, the new Reacher is the size I imagined him to be (very large) and the book, Killing Floor story line is being followed with the "killing off Joe". Just sayin
Old 02-06-2022, 09:05 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
It came out today on Amazon Prime. Now that is how I imagined Jack Reacher but a little less like he just had a lot of weight training sessions.
I watched all eight episodes the day it came out and thought it was pretty accurate. I taught Detective Fiction at a university for 25 years and published a couple books about it. I taught perhaps six Lee Child novels. I don’t consider him an especially good detective novelist, as the level of clever crime solving isn't high, but my students always liked his novels the best.

In the world of mystery novels, there are all sorts of gimmicks authors have to catch interest. For example, Sue Grafton and Sara Paretsky wrote great books with female hard-boiled detectives. One detective was a Rabbi. One was a caterer. There are endless cat detectives and dog detectives. Many detectives are alcoholics who have given up drinking. A number are gay. Ellis Peters wrote a couple dozen novels with a detective who was a monk in the 1130s, and there’s another series with a detective who is a nun in the early 1400s. I love the “Hap and Leonard” novels available on tv on Netflix. They are best friends, but one is a red neck good ol’ boy and the other is black and gay (played by the late Michael Williams from “The Wire”. The shows are excellent.

Jack Reacher is the loner who rides a bus into town, doesn’t talk much, ends injustice, then leaves. He is much more like the archetypal mythic hero than most detectives of the past few decades. He’s taller and stronger than most people. He wins nearly every fight. He’s smart but not complicated. He is “on the side of the angels,” to quote Raymond Chandler. He can’t be bought or sold. He stands for what is right, no matter what. He doesn’t kill unless he has to, but if he does, somehow he gets away with it. When he has done good, solved the problems, rescued the innocent and punished the wicked, he leaves on a bus for anywhere or hitchhikes. He’s all-American, but not jingoistic. He has spent most of his life on Army bases, usually overseas, so his knowledge of real America is somewhat limited, but now that he has retired, he is exploring small town America with its problems (often stemming from greed). He’s a retired Army Major and M.P. who did high level military criminal investigations.

Reacher reminds me a lot of the heroes found in some westerns. Utterly brave, seldom speaks, stands on the side of good and rescues those who are bullied. He reminds me a bit of some Clint Eastwood movies, or Alan Ladd in “Shane,” or sometimes Gary Cooper. I’m also reminded of Mickey Spillane’s Mike Hammer novels (though there are more differences than similarities) and of the Travis McGee novels.

If you are the sort who loves superhero movies where cities get wiped out by comic book villains, you may not like this series. It’s very quiet. There isn’t much talking. There isn’t much music, except old blues songs Reacher likes. This fits in well with who and what Reacher is. I loved the series, though I did notice one plot hole. One dead character has diamond-shaped depressed skull fractures. The mayor carries a walking stick with a diamond-shaped crystal door knob mounted on it. But that was never mentioned again. Oh well. I can forgive that. There are some intense fire fights and fires and explosions—it’s not all quiet. I like it that the good guys tend to manage one shot, one kill even when they are shooting automatic weapons.

I think the actor who plays Reacher is well cast. I’m looking forward to many more seasons.

Last edited by MandoMan; 02-06-2022 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:11 AM
Default ?

Saw the promo looks like conan the reacher - thinking cia nerd analysts don't look like that
Old 02-06-2022, 09:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestIA View Post
Saw the promo looks like conan the reacher - thinking cia nerd analysts don't look like that
Reacher isn’t CIA, a nerd nor an analyst.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:44 AM

Don’t forget all that hard manual labor Reacher does. No sissy gyms for him!! LOL
Old 02-06-2022, 09:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Are they releasing it one at a time or weekly?

Love the books Tom Cruise terribly miscast
Whole season a once. Watched all 8 episodes Saturday, had nothing else to do. Enjoyed it and now I'm waiting for season two. Just wish a season was like it use to be, at least 26 or more episodes.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
No - the opposite. Jack Reacher is 6’5” 250 lbs, all muscle.

We binged the whole 1st season last night.
Same!
Old 02-06-2022, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneysblue View Post
Whole season a once. Watched all 8 episodes Saturday, had nothing else to do. Enjoyed it and now I'm waiting for season two. Just wish a season was like it use to be, at least 26 or more episodes.
Glad fans liked it. Have two more episodes of yellowstone and on to Reacher.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts
Default Lee Child cameo at end of Episode 8.

Lee Child has a cameo in this as he did in at least one of the Tom Cruise starring movies.

I enjoy Tom Cruise movies and also was very entertained by his Jack Reacher films. Supposedly he is a very nice man in real life. Tom Cruise filmography - Wikipedia
Old 02-06-2022, 11:06 AM
Default Reacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
It came out today on Amazon Prime. Now that is how I imagined Jack Reacher but a little less like he just had a lot of weight training sessions.
Have read all the books and looked forward to this new series with Adam Ritchson. He is the epitome of how Reacher is described in the books. Love the new series. On to episode 4.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

I am halfway through the first season and I like it. But, the plot is a little confusing to me.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,611 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestIA View Post
You’re thinking Jack Kelly from Tom Clancy novels.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

I’ve read all the books. Yesterday I binged on all eight episodes. I like the new guy a lot better than Tom Cruise. He’ll never win an Academy Award, but is really pretty true to the Jack Reacher in the books.

The new series is an ‘action flick’ for sure. But the body count is almost certainly one every couple of minutes, counting when Jack personally gets rid of seemingly dozens of bad guys in major action sequences.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
You’re thinking Jack Kelly from Tom Clancy novels.
Jack Ryan?

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
reacher, amazon, prime, training, weight

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.