Direct TV and Comcast high speed Internet

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Default Direct TV and Comcast high speed Internet

We are building in Sanibel. I think we want Direct TV and Comcast Internet. Can we have both? Is the house set up to have both? There are cable connections in almost every room but are they for TV only? Does it require another connection for the Comcast? Is the house set up for computer and tv wiring? With Direct TV I think I can play programs in 4 rooms from one recorder DVR. Can that happen or can I only play two at a time? Can I hook up two recorder DVR's and play from both at any one of 4 TV's? Can you fine folks or tell me who to call to get the answers?
Old 12-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Default Partial answer

I can only tell you that it certainly is possible to have Directv and Comcast internet. We have Directv and Comcast for internet and phone. As for the other questions, we haven't been here long enough to get our final television setup completed.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We have Direct TV and Verizon for phone and for wireless internet.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Gold member
Default Gracie

Is the internet service one of Verizons small wireless hot spot devices?

How does it work out for you and Henry. Fast enough or does it stall.

I know it must work. 8k plus Posts you are the Goddess of TOTV

Thanks Herv
Old 12-20-2011, 09:03 AM

If you want both in the same room, I don't think the houses are pre-wired for both. I have both in my house, but the Directv installer had to run a separate cable for their system, since the one that was there was being used for the internet. If you want internet in a room without a tv, there should be no problem. They only charged $50 to install the cable, btw.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We have Direct TV and Verizon for phone and for wireless internet.
I want my Verizon. Called the V office last week and was told they are not yet in Buttonwood, but couldn't say when/if they will be. Stay tuned....
Old 12-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren L Miller View Post
We are building in Sanibel. I think we want Direct TV and Comcast Internet. Can we have both? Is the house set up to have both? There are cable connections in almost every room but are they for TV only? Does it require another connection for the Comcast? Is the house set up for computer and tv wiring? With Direct TV I think I can play programs in 4 rooms from one recorder DVR. Can that happen or can I only play two at a time? Can I hook up two recorder DVR's and play from both at any one of 4 TV's? Can you fine folks or tell me who to call to get the answers?
Oren, pass the popcorn, please!

You can have both. Your new home will be set up with coax cabling from a low-voltage panel in your garage going to each room. It should all be "home run" cables to each room - one cable from the box to one room, another cable for another, etc. - not chained together going from room to room. Those coaxes can be used for satellite service, cable service, or internet......but only one service to a room. Cables from outside the house will feed the signal(s) to your low-voltage panel for distribution. It's really a very flexible and cleaner set up the way the new homes are being done now - - - versus having all the cables terminating outside, all jammed into a really small box for connection.

Best thing to do for internet is to pick a room where you're not going to have television and use that room for the modem and then set up a wireless router (or get them combined as one unit - depends on what options the internet provider offers) as long as your computer(s) are all capable of connecting via wireless. No big deal to address them if they're not.

Check DirecTV's web site for how their "Whole Home DVR" set-up works:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/conten...-1&lpos=header

Hope that helps!

Bill
Old 12-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I've been a Directv customer since 2000. I just had whole house DVR installed. It cost $150 (I got it for free after discussing with a cancellation agent!)
With whole house you can watch a pre-recorded program on each TV that has a receiver.
What's also cool with Whole house is that they connect your internet so each reciver has Directv's On Demand. As the commercial goes you have 7000 programs available. ( But most are PPV and if you subscribe to say HBO then you get HBO on demand, otherwise you do not)

I happen to have 3 DVRs so I can record up to 6 programs at once and then watch on any of my TVs. Haven't checked to watch the same program on two TVs. I doubt if that could happen.

Good Luck.

PS if you have a friend with Directv you and he can get $100 each by just using his account number when ordering.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post

You can have both. Your new home will be set up with coax cabling from a low-voltage panel in your garage going to each room. It should all be "home run" cables to each room - one cable from the box to one room, another cable for another, etc. - not chained together going from room to room. Those coaxes can be used for satellite service, cable service, or internet......but only one service to a room. Cables from outside the house will feed the signal(s) to your low-voltage panel for distribution. It's really a very flexible and cleaner set up the way the new homes are being done now - - - versus having all the cables terminating outside, all jammed into a really small box for connection.

Best thing to do for internet is to pick a room where you're not going to have television and use that room for the modem and then set up a wireless router (or get them combined as one unit - depends on what options the internet provider offers) as long as your computer(s) are all capable of connecting via wireless. No big deal to address them if they're not.

Hope that helps!

Bill
Just an add on to this:

Direct tv will have to run a new cable into the house to connect to that splitter. That will leave the Comcast connection loose. If there is room you can place the modem/wireless router right there or have them run a cable to the laundry room or garage and place the internet connection there. just be sure to enable the security on the wireless
Old 12-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Default Thanks

I appreciate all of the insight here. What you are saying makes sense to me now. The link was great also. Bill you should be called the TV answer man.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Default Popcorn is passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post

Hope that helps!

Bill
Old 12-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Sage

Hee-hee! Thanks Oren!!

Bill
Old 12-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Gold member
Default I'm Lost

I'm so lost? But you all know that.

Loose wires , wireless, miltiple boxs, Direct, Comcast standard house wiring etc.

I'll just call the Geek Squad when I move in. Tom I'm with you just run Verizon Black Fibre Fios and move on.

Did they even hint it migh be possible at out end of Town?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Send a message via AIM to HelenLCSW

Quote:
We are moving into Sanibel and arranged for the Comcast wiring with Kathleen at Comcast. She was great and will be able to answer all your questions. You can have both but after you talk to Comcast you may decide to bundle with them.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:18 AM

I agree!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.