Tell us about your choice of TV.(Television set)

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2012, 09:23 PM

All 3 of our tv's are Samsungs.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

There is a app for how big your TV should be for the room, it has to do with how many feet you are sitting from the picture, can't remember what we googled but thought what it said was wrong so went up a size and they were right bought too big, but it is a led samsung and has a great picture
Old 06-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Gold member

One formula (from Abt Appliance) for determining the maximum size screen for your room is:

Screen size, times 2, divided by 12 = optimal distance, in feet, for the screen size you're interested in.

We used it for a recent purchase and it worked for us. We wanted a 55" in a relatively small den and wanted to be sure it wasn't too big or the room.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Gold member

One minor nitpick on display technology. LED TVs actually are LCD TVs that use LEDs for illumination rather than flourescent (actually cold cathode flourescent) that is used for backlighting in other LCD TVs. Then, to confuse matters even more, there are various technologies for using LEDs for backlighting.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:10 PM
Gold member
Default Panasonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
We have a plasma and can see just fine from all angles in our living room. The picture is sharp and clear. Amazon.com offers reviews on most televisions and are a good resource that is free to read.
I agree, True color is best on a quality plasma and the new models run cooler and last longer.

Panasonic GT50 Model available at Best Buy gets my vots. For all that's worth.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Platinum member

GG, here's one calculator: Viewing Distance Calculator

Just Google size of television for viewing distance & you'll get many websites telling you what size TV will be good for your room.

We have an LG LCD HDTV. The picture is great, but I was disappointed at how poor the sound quality was. I understand that's a common fault with these kinds of TVs -- not only the LG brand. We bought a sound bar, and now we can hear what people say much better.

I was also surprised at how hot the TV gets. I can feel the heat when I walk past the television.

Good luck with your new TV purchase!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 06-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Just purchased one in April for our VA home. After lots of viewing, reading, checking, ended up with a 55 inch Vizio 1080p 240hz LED model that was internet and wifi ready. Synced it with our wireless system and Netflix, Hula and others are now just a click away. Instant Netflix movies when ever you want them. Instant Hula series and shows as well.

Got it at Costco which had a $200 off coupon, caught it on sale as well, so net was $899 for a $1299 TV. Probably even less now. It is very light in weight, so can be wall mounted if you want, easy to move and set up, and can be viewed in a large room. Mine is in the family room which is 22 X 16 and can be seen well from anywhere in the room.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Platinum member

Samsung HD 1080p. Pick the size that matters to you.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Gold member

We have two Vizios and one Sony. I'm a constant chanel changer , the Sony is a slow chanel changer imo. We also have two Roku boxes so can do with less chanels and have acess to tons, literally tons of other things. Like the quality of bothh Sony and Vizio.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Default 32 inch LG

Several months ago I bought a 32in LG 720p because a friend of mine had one and I found the picture quality and menus on his TV to be far better than what I had on my Sony. Also, the LG had 3 HDMI slots. I use one for cable; one for Apple TV to view my photos and video on the TV's bigger screen; and one for Roku to increase my streaming movie options. I'm thrilled with this LG TV and I consider it to be one of the best TVs I've ever owned. I sit about 15 ft from the TV and 720p works just fine for me. Only thing I would change in a future TV is to get 120HZ which makes picture seem even crisper.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Platinum member

Check out the Samsung 55 inch Smart TV. Amazing.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Veteran member
Default TV

Panasonic - plasma is my choice. Have a 46" model from 2008 and it's great. 3d and 60 - 65 Panasonic plasma is in our TV TV future.
I have 3 DVR Directv boxes so I can record 6 programs at a time and share on all three TVs we have. Just have to be careful of someone telling me a score of a sporting event.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:34 PM

We bought a 47" Samsung LED tv about 4 years ago and the picture has been great. However in the last couple of months when you turn it on, it clicks multiple times before actually powering up. It has gotten worse and now is about 15 clicks before starting. On a blog about Samsung tv's this appears to be too common a problem and they have a secret warranty program for selected models to replace the power board. Unfortunately our model is not covered even though it exhibits the same symptoms so I don't think I'd get a Samsung again, perhaps a Sharp with Quattro color. Sharp and Samsung share a production facility for the large LCD screens but each make their own electronics and LED light source/technology.
One thing about the plasmas, they are generally 600hz which makes motion much smoother to watch. Sporting events like football, basketball, motor sports really show the difference in the higher refresh rates with much smoother pictures, less jagged moves.
I used to be very concerned about glare on the shiny screens from outside light sources but the pictures are so bright there is very little effect from it.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

We have 3 TV's"
  1. Vizio LED - We bought this TV right after closing on our home so we would have a TV in where we spend most of our time... our den until we returned north two months later to plan for our move. One thing that's frequently overlooked is the sound quality. Althought the picture was fine, the sound quality s***ed! It was very tinny and drove me crazy. We moved it into our master BR where we've watched from rarely to never.
  2. Panasonic LED - We bought this TV up north shortly before we started thinking of buying in The Villages. Love it.. good picture, good sound!
  3. Panasonic Plasma - We bought this '50 TV from the sellers of our home. It has a great picture and an even greater sound system. The only negative thing about it is that it's really heavy, much more so than the LED's.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"

Last edited by skyguy79; 06-24-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:49 PM

In my survey, about 14 months ago, Vizio delivered the best feature-price ratio and up to date technology (INternet surfing, streaming, etc.). I found a good unit for a good price at Target. Vizio is an up and comer!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.