The value of life

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom
Angry The value of life

I was just enjoying my coffee this morning when I noticed on the television drag that a person who was texting and driving hit and killed a 55 year old pedestrian who we casually knew. The thing that is breaking my heart is that the moron who killed him, just got 45 days in jail as punishment.

What do you think? I sure know what I think.

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Sage

Texting and driving is deadly.

I read in the news a few days back where someone who was texting drove off a 55 foot cliff.

My condolences on the loss of your friend.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Location: Wisconsin, San Antonio, Germany, Korea, Alabama and soon The Villages

I'm so sorry about your friend and I agree, texting while driving is so dangerous. It seems like texting has taken over not only face-to-face conversation but even phone calls. Alabama just passed a law making it illegal to text and drive. I think it should be banned all across the country. Nothing is that important that can't be taken care of once you are parked.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom

I do agree with all of you, but was wondering what you thought about 45 DAYS for taking someone's life? You get that much for shoplifting. I'm sick about that.

BTW thanks for the kind wishes, but the man was just an acquaintance, but his life is as valuable as everyone else's.

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Texting and driving is deadly.

I read in the news a few days back where someone who was texting drove off a 55 foot cliff.
Problem solved.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinparadise View Post
I'm so sorry about your friend and I agree, texting while driving is so dangerous. It seems like texting has taken over not only face-to-face conversation but even phone calls. Alabama just passed a law making it illegal to text and drive. I think it should be banned all across the country. Nothing is that important that can't be taken care of once you are parked.
Have any of you noticed (not as much in TV) the amount of people out to dinner and they don't talk...they are all on their cell phones?? I've seen this so often lately....the entire table, kids and all, are totally engrossed in their phones and no one is talking or looking at each other at the table.

And texting while driving!!! OMG...totally absurd!!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Platinum member

Oh...and the 45 days....ridiculous!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaniesmom View Post
I do agree with all of you, but was wondering what you thought about 45 DAYS for taking someone's life? You get that much for shoplifting. I'm sick about that.

BTW thanks for the kind wishes, but the man was just an acquaintance, but his life is as valuable as everyone else's.
I'm not a lawyer and I'm sure the law has a certain time for first offenders but I think he should have been charged with vehicle man-slaughter.

45 days is rediculous for taking someone's life.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Gold member

In some 3d world countries life has no value, seems as though we are becoming one of those 3d world countries. 45 days and the person most likely feels as thought the law is picking on him/her.
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Home Protection Instructor
Retired Army Military Police Investigator - 20 years, 4 months, 13 days
Retired Deputy Sheriff/Corrections Officer
IDPA Safety Officer Instructor
All skill is in vain when an Angel weewees in the flintlock of your musket.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Email Reported As Spam

A woman not too long ago backed out of her driveway hitting five kids and killing her daughter.

News report after news report informs us of a parent who left their child in a car and the child died.

Ayoungster gets a hold of his father's gun and accidentally shoots himself.

A daughter got confused when her father was directing her into their garage and pinned him against the wall killing him

A driver drops hsi/her cigarette and tries to retrieve it and hits another car headon killing the other driver.

A driver has a long trip to complete and pushes it beyond and without even knowing falls asleep at the wheel crosses overe the divider hitting a car head on and kills the other driver.

A truck on an interstate looses it wheel which crashes into the windshield of a car killing the other driver

A driver decides he does not want to stop to eat and is eating a sandwich which distracts him causing him to cross over onto the oncoming lane killing the other driver.

A driver tires are caught in the snow tracks left by other drivers crosses over the line and kills another driver etc etc etc etc

These are actual cases what punsih would you give these drivers. is 45 days too much too little?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Forty-five days does sound like it is a light punishment for the death of another. However, we're talking about a truly stupid act, not a deliberate act, not an act done out of ego or hubris, not an act that was deliberately cruel or even mean; just downright stupid. We're talking about something that is legal. Stupid, wrong but totally legal in way too many states. So, I'd guess the most he could be charged with is reckless driving. Forty-five days actually is a pretty high sentence for reckless driving.

I'm sure the driver is heartsick and probably a very decent person. His punishment will be having to live the rest of his life knowing he killed another human due to his stupidity. That's a heck of a sentence. Personally, I'd rather get many years in prison than have to live with that knowledge the rest of my life.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.