Are Vanna and Sajak overpaid?

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2023, 05:54 AM
Veteran member

Vanna should get a raise because the pay gap is quite large but at the same time, I fear she’s out a job. Ryan Seacrest is so rich, he’s not taking that job for the price Sajak made so they’ll need that extra 3 mil toward his salary. Fun Fact… before American Idol, Ryan was the afternoon DJ on my local radio station in Los Angeles. He did the afternoon time slot on 98.7. As a matter of fact, when American Idol started, it was the first time I’d seen what he looked like after listening to him for literal years on the radio. The money he made on that show alone would be enough for 3 lifetimes but add on the money from producing the Kardashians and boom. He’s worth nearly 500 million now.
Old 06-29-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlebasset View Post
If a particular person brings in say $10 million in profit to an organization per year, aren't they worth a $1 million salary? In turn, if an employee only brings in $100,000 in profit to an organization per year, I doubt that employee would make all that much.

They are getting paid what they are worth, or at least what their bosses think they are worth.
That is exactly correct. No one here or anywhere (including the OP) has any say in how much someone else earns for whatever job they perform. For an employed person, only the employer can judge their worth. The sky is the limit for those of us that are self-employed. It's basically no one's business. To presume that one can judge how much Vanna White or Pat Sajak earns, is to further presume that the OP has some say on how much anyone earns (including me). And, I find that offensive.
Old 06-29-2023, 06:31 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Has any ever watched a sporting event to listen to the announcers?
Yes...I have. I grew up in Southern California, and was always a Dodgers fan. As a young boy, I would sit with my little transistor radio, and listen to Vin Scully call the games. When I closed my eyes to listen to Mr. Scully, I could see the game in my mind's eye. He was that good.
Old 06-29-2023, 07:10 AM

Pat retiring next year and Ryan Seacrest is replacement. Yes they get pay big bucks! The shows popular for years and their pay goes with the popularity.
Old 06-29-2023, 07:27 AM

Quote:
I don’t watch the show but does anyone watch it to see White and Sajak?

I was stunned to see that Vanna makes $3 million a year and Sajak makes $15 million!

If they hired some unknown actors for $500,000 a year, would you not watch?

Vanna White lawyers up as Ryan Seacrest named 'Wheel' host
It is a free-market system. The "market" sets their worth, as it does for you and me.
Old 06-29-2023, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbug View Post
It is a free-market system. The "market" sets their worth, as it does for you and me.
Yes, and they pay a high salary to lock in a multi-year contract, which prevents the employee from leaving for a better offer.
Old 06-29-2023, 07:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,322 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
Yes...I have. I grew up in Southern California, and was always a Dodgers fan. As a young boy, I would sit with my little transistor radio, and listen to Vin Scully call the games. When I closed my eyes to listen to Mr. Scully, I could see the game in my mind's eye. He was that good.
The question was whether you watched a sporting event just because of the announcers. It sounds like you listened to it on the radio.

Is there any event - World Series, Super Bowl, Olympics, Masters, Wimbledon - that you watch only because of the announcer and would not watch if your favorite announcer was not broadcasting?
Old 06-29-2023, 07:46 AM
Veteran member

Not at all.
Old 06-29-2023, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of people don't understand or appreciate the concept of capitalism. Almost all of the taxes that our Government receives comes from profits made by private businesses. Without profitable companies, our country would have no source of income. A non-profitable company pays no taxes. Yet, some people want to tamper with the way private businesses produce a profit.
For your information, you can find the correct facts here, so you may better understand and appreciate capitalism yourself :

https://files.taxfoundation.org/2023..._rev2023_3.png
Old 06-29-2023, 08:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpalladino View Post
For your information, you can find the correct facts here, so you may better understand and appreciate capitalism yourself :

https://files.taxfoundation.org/2023..._rev2023_3.png
So, if there were no private businesses that made a profit, where would the money come from to pay those taxes?
Old 06-29-2023, 08:27 AM
Default Vanna

Quote:

I was stunned to see that Vanna makes $3 million a year and Sajak makes $15 million!

Overpaid, but they are the show. Gene Rayburn was The Match Game; Steve Harvey is Family Fued.
Old 06-29-2023, 09:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
The question was whether you watched a sporting event just because of the announcers. It sounds like you listened to it on the radio.

Is there any event - World Series, Super Bowl, Olympics, Masters, Wimbledon - that you watch only because of the announcer and would not watch if your favorite announcer was not broadcasting?
I remember many years ago that they once broadcasted a pro football game with no announcers. It didn't get a good rating from the viewers.
Old 06-29-2023, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:

I agree. Any two likable people could have what they did.
I think is a case of the show making them as opposed to them making the show.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-29-2023, 09:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,322 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorp View Post
Overpaid, but they are the show. Gene Rayburn was The Match Game; Steve Harvey is Family Fued.
Is Trebek Jeopardy? Ratings do not appear to have changed much with his replacement.

In the last season, Jeopardy had 9.1 million viewers a night and Wheel had 8.6 million viewers a night.

However, back in the 1980s, Wheel would get 40 million viewers a night. So Sajak and White have lost about 80% of the audience over the years.
Old 06-29-2023, 09:37 AM

Yes, I watch because of Pat and Vanna. I think his humor and quick quips are entertaining and a major factor for keeping the show relaxed. I like to see what Vanna will be wearing as she displays her wardrobe quite nicely. The guests on the show are tertiary and I sometimes wonder how they ever got on.
Closed Thread

Tags
sajak, watch, million, makes, vanna

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.