Who is following Downton Abbey on PBS?

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2013, 07:54 AM
Sage
Default Who is following Downton Abbey on PBS?

Who is following "Downton Abbey" on PBS ??

We began recording and watching Season Three most recently, then decided we should stop and order the earlier seasons, before continuing on........they arrived quickly via amazon.com and are all the United Kingdom version, uncut. They all play on our Blu-ray......

We quickly got through Season 1 of Downton Abbey, are now on disc one of Season 2....then will view the "Christmas at Downton Abbey" before continuing on with season three which is still being broadcast on Sunday evenings.........however, I did order season 3 to complete our set here. Supposedly will arrive by January 29.

It's a great "escape" re how life was for the upper crust and the hired help back in the early 1900's into the World War One years........photography is excellent.......you actually feel you are "back in time".........again, a great escape on a snowy afternoon...............

So much of American t.v. is crime or senseless comedy.........or, our pet peeve, "the talking heads"............

We miss Ballykissangel and Monarch of the Glen.......(Ireland/Scotland).
Old 01-19-2013, 08:12 AM

Just started watching the season and thoroughly enjoying it. We are going to order the 2 previous seasons as well - while it is pretty easy to follow, there are some story lines that need to be viewed to fully understand what is happening now.

Love Maggie Smith & Shirley MacLaine in their roles !
Old 01-19-2013, 08:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbgold View Post
Just started watching the season and thoroughly enjoying it. We are going to order the 2 previous seasons as well - while it is pretty easy to follow, there are some story lines that need to be viewed to fully understand what is happening now.

Love Maggie Smith & Shirley MacLaine in their roles !
I agree. Loved Shirley MacLaine as the American "cousin".....that's when I realized we needed to STOP watching and order the first two seasons.
It was well worth the cash layout. Excellent production. Love Maggie Smith as well. Once you get the earlier seasons you will understand why Bates is in jail. We didn't "get" that part while viewing Season 3 as we had missed a few episodes in the beginning...........so we began from scratch once they arrived.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Sage

I've been watching it....think I caught it in the middle (approx) of the 2nd season. I know that Netflix has the 1st two seasons available...so will have to try to catch up. LOVE this show!!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Gold member
Default Love it

We are DVRing Season 3, got Netflix from the kids for Christmas and have watched Season 1. Season 2 next in our queue but apparently big demand, so still waiting for that. Going to call them today to make sure that is the issue.

Maggie Smith is wonderful, have seen her in stuff before, but now also ordering other Maggie Smith movies from Netflix.

Also ordered the first Upstairs, Downstairs series, have DVRd the 2nd season one (I think). Will watch after we catch up - I had watched the 1st one only sporadically.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:06 AM

We've seen the show from the beginning and love it. Much to do about not much. Beautiful set, scenery and dialog. Too bad it's on at 9pm, would be fun to organize parties, play dress up and sip sherry.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Love it... We are members of amazon prime and received the first two seasons free.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:53 AM

Found this synopsis of all the characters in Downton Abbey

List of Downton Abbey characters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Season 3 has already aired in Sept. in Great Britian, so some of the action mentioned here hasn't happened for US viewers
Old 01-19-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
We are DVRing Season 3, got Netflix from the kids for Christmas and have watched Season 1. Season 2 next in our queue but apparently big demand, so still waiting for that. Going to call them today to make sure that is the issue.

Maggie Smith is wonderful, have seen her in stuff before, but now also ordering other Maggie Smith movies from Netflix.

Also ordered the first Upstairs, Downstairs series, have DVRd the 2nd season one (I think). Will watch after we catch up - I had watched the 1st one only sporadically.
We have watched it from the beginning. Love the series and all the characters. We DVD it and can't wait for Monday night to watch it.

We have also watched upstairs downstairs when it first was on years ago. They tried to bring it back again but just isn't the same without the original cast.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Veteran member

Loving the whole series....the acting and the story lines....and the clothing. Also enjoy that I can understand what they are saying. So many tv programs today remind me that I should probably look into hearing aids.....is it just me?
Old 01-19-2013, 12:24 PM

I love love love this show. Watched first and second season and am now trying to tape it but can't figure out how it's listed. Can't find it simply listed as Downton Abbey. This is a far cry from any of our lives and especially the life of a Cajun girl but its a wonderful form of escape for me.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungirl View Post
I love love love this show. Watched first and second season and am now trying to tape it but can't figure out how it's listed. Can't find it simply listed as Downton Abbey. This is a far cry from any of our lives and especially the life of a Cajun girl but its a wonderful form of escape for me.
It's on at 9 Sunday nights on PBS. It definately is listed!!
Old 01-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Sage

Just started watching Season 3. I have been contemplating buying Season 1 and 2 on DVD. A couple of moments struck me as funny...the Earl of Grantham's valet can't get a white tie for the Earl for dinner...so that is a crisis. Britain just came through a World War and the outbreak of Spanish Flu which claimed many lives and wearing a black tie to dinner was a crisis? Then when the Crawley family possibly was going to lose Downtown Abbey because of a bad financial investment, so they went to visit their smaller house (hunting lodge) as their next home. I was expecting a two room shack in the woods. The hunting lodge was much larger than most American homes. The Irish son-in-law (former chauffeur) also commented that most people live in much smaller homes than the hunting lodge. And if they did move to the hunting lodge, they would only need 8 servants. Imagine trying to survive with only 8 servants!

But I do like the show.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Veteran member

We're addicted...there must be a 12 Step program somewhere!
Old 01-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Veteran member

We love it. Wonderful acting and period dress
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.