House Appraisal

Old 02-28-2024, 09:52 AM
Default House Appraisal

Looking to sell our home by owner. Would like to have the house appraised to get an asking price. Who have you used for this?
Thank you.

Last edited by Tnlady; 02-28-2024 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

I would have a market analysis done by at least two experienced licensed real estate agents. It will be free and you are under no obligation to list your house with them.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:07 PM

Besides, the appraiser that you get is likely not going to give you the same numbers as the one your buyer’s get. What you pay this appraiser would be money wasted. Better to do like ‘retiredguy’ said.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:55 AM
Veteran member

Do a google search of homes sold within the last six months in your neighborhood. Compare the homes to yours, square feet, lot size, view, enhancements, etc. Find 3 that are very similar to your own.Your asking price should be in the range of those homes sold.
Don't forget there will be closing costs that will be deducted from your sales proceeds.

Asking realtors to evaluate your home is a great idea. They can also explain the pros and cons of selling the home on your own. There will be no cost for realtors to do this. If you agree to work with them, you will sign a contract and they will be paid a commission when your home is sold.

If you decide to sell on your own, use your three comparables to negotiate with the buyers. If a home similar to yours recently sold for $500,000, you can explain why you will not accept an offer of say $450,000. The price is too low for the existing market.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:21 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnlady View Post
Looking to sell our home by owner. Would like to have the house appraised to get an asking price. Who have you used for this?
Thank you.
Just call 3 or 4 Brokers to give you a market analysis. Eventually you're going to be hiring a Broker anyways, might as well get acquainted now.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:38 AM
Veteran member

If you need a place to have a meeting for your club just go to a local restaurant and take up a few tables for a few hours. It doesn't matter that you have no intention of buying anything in the restaurant.

If you want to learn investing go to a financial planner, sit down with them, take a few hours to learn all your options. Then just leave, no need to sign on with them, you can invest yourself.

If you want to find the price of your home get 3 Realtors to come do a market analysis. It doesn't matter that they do this with the understanding that they are competing for your business. You can waste their time. They have nothing better to do than trying to make a living. They don't mind working for free, I'm sure.

(I hopefully assume I don't need the sarcasm emoji)
Old 02-29-2024, 05:45 AM
Veteran member

The Villages appraisal will be the only appraisal that will include recent sales by them, A MLS appraisal or independent appraiser only used MLS sales and they sell a fraction of preowned homes. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnlady View Post
Thank you.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
If you need a place to have a meeting for your club just go to a local restaurant and take up a few tables for a few hours. It doesn't matter that you have no intention of buying anything in the restaurant.

If you want to learn investing go to a financial planner, sit down with them, take a few hours to learn all your options. Then just leave, no need to sign on with them, you can invest yourself.

If you want to find the price of your home get 3 Realtors to come do a market analysis. It doesn't matter that they do this with the understanding that they are competing for your business. You can waste their time. They have nothing better to do than trying to make a living. They don't mind working for free, I'm sure.

(I hopefully assume I don't need the sarcasm emoji)
I totally disagree. Most real estate agents are happy to do a market analysis for free for the opportunity to introduce themselves, to educate themselves about the market, and to make a sales pitch for their services. Even if you don't sign a listing contract with them, you may refer the agent to a friend, or you may eventually decide to list your house after the FSBO effort fails. It happens all the time.
Old 02-29-2024, 06:13 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Recent Comps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
Do a google search of homes sold within the last six months in your neighborhood. Compare the homes to yours, square feet, lot size, view, enhancements, etc. Find 3 that are very similar to your own.Your asking price should be in the range of those homes sold.
Don't forget there will be closing costs that will be deducted from your sales proceeds.

Asking realtors to evaluate your home is a great idea. They can also explain the pros and cons of selling the home on your own. There will be no cost for realtors to do this. If you agree to work with them, you will sign a contract and they will be paid a commission when your home is sold.

If you decide to sell on your own, use your three comparables to negotiate with the buyers. If a home similar to yours recently sold for $500,000, you can explain why you will not accept an offer of say $450,000. The price is too low for the existing market.
I agree. Recent comparisons will go a long way. The Villages set up make this a breeze to do because of model names and specs! If you are lanai to lanai it should be fairly simple. Look at homes selling in your area, then charge about the same or a little less per square foot. There are some programs out there worth subscribing to but Zillow has most of what you need. There is a tab in their upper section for “sold”. Click on it and it gives you what each house sold for.

Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0342.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	103111  

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning

Last edited by Normal; 02-29-2024 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:15 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
The Villages appraisal will be the only appraisal that will include recent sales by them, A MLS appraisal or independent appraiser only used MLS sales and they sell a fraction of preowned homes. Don't let anyone tell you different.
Hi Northerner,
Do you have the statistics that back up that claim? I've been looking at both sites for a while now & they seem to run pretty evenly. Meaning, if someone is looking to buy, they must use both or miss out on seeing roughly half of the houses for sale. I looked at both sites this morning & they both were offering several hundreds of used houses for sale.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
How long have you been in the real estate business?

Or maybe you've bought and sold 3 or 4 homes in your lifetime?

The OP will be using a Broker soon enough. Selling a home without a Broker is a fool's errand under almost any circumstances and in a market that's over-saturated with inventory, it's nearly impossible.

Statistics bear out that conclusion, over and over and over again. Of course, this is TV and everyone is an expert.

Last edited by BrianL99; 02-29-2024 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I totally disagree. Most real estate agents are happy to do a market analysis for free for the opportunity to introduce themselves, to educate themselves about the market, and to make a sales pitch for their services. Even if you don't sign a listing contract with them, you may refer the agent to a friend, or you may eventually decide to list your house after the FSBO effort fails. It happens all the time.
It is insulting to request a market analysis and use information a realtor provides without hiring them. You can disagree. A realtor would do it and not burn any bridges but it is still insulting. Perhaps if the FSBO seller states up front and offers to pay for the realtor’s time it would be okay. The realtor would likely do it free anyhow but be forthcoming about your intentions.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:46 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Big Noses

Quote:
It is insulting to request a market analysis and use information a realtor provides without hiring them. You can disagree. A realtor would do it and not burn any bridges but it is still insulting. Perhaps if the FSBO seller states up front and offers to pay for the realtor’s time it would be okay. The realtor would likely do it free anyhow but be forthcoming about your intentions.
Just look at realtors as those that have big noses. They start off by nosing into someone’s sale, then offer to sell all the while working in their 6% up cost for the sale. In the end, the up cost penalizes the seller and buyer because of the nosy realtor that was never needed. It wastes time and money. It takes a lot of work to sell a home for more than it is worth.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning

Last edited by Normal; 02-29-2024 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
How long have you been in the real estate business?

Or maybe you've bought and sold 3 or 4 homes in your lifetime?

The OP will be using a Broker soon enough. Selling a home without a Broker is a fool's errand under almost any circumstances and in a market that's over-saturated with inventory, it's nearly impossible.

Statistics bear out that conclusion, over and over and over again. Of course, this is TV and everyone is an expert.
I agree. I am amazed at how many people think that, by selling their house themselves they will save a 6 percent real estate commission as if the commission is just another add-on fee. A 6 percent commission on a $400K sale is $24K. I'm cheap, so there is no way that I would agree to pay an extra $24K commission unless I thought the broker was worth that amount. But, for every house I have sold, except one, I have listed it with a broker. The one house that I didn't list had 5 offers within 20 minutes because the market was extremely hot.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
I agree about being forthcoming. But, I don't agree about offering to pay for a market analysis. Most real estate agents are happy to do
the market analysis for free, even if they know that the homeowner intends to list it as a FSBO. It's all about exposure and marketing their business. A real estate agent who charges for a market analysis would not last long in a competitive business, where their income is from commissions.

Tags
house, price, appraised, appraisal, owner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.