Error Message

Old 12-29-2023, 03:00 PM
Default Error Message

Does anyone else get the below error msg. or know how to avoid it?

Misdirected Request

The client needs a new connection for this request as the requested host name does not match the Server Name Indication (SNI) in use for this connection.
Old 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJOHNS2654 View Post

Misdirected Request

The client needs a new connection for this request as the requested host name does not match the Server Name Indication (SNI) in use for this connection.
That might be the one I get occasionally. Reloading the page usually works. Haven't given much thought to why it occurs, I just assume it is a configuration issue on the server side.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 12-29-2023, 03:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

Misdirected Request

My good friend Mr Google informs me that:

This is caused by the following sequence of events:

1 The server and client both support and use HTTP/2.
2 The client requests a page at foo.example.com.
3 During TLS negotiation, the server presents a certificate which is valid for both foo.example.com and bar.example.com (and the client accepts it). This could be done with a wildcard certificate or a SAN certificate.
4 The client reuses the connection to make a request for bar.example.com.
5 The server is unable or unwilling to support cross-domain connection reuse (for example because you configured their SSL differently and Apache wants to force a TLS renegotiation), and serves HTTP 421.
6 The client does not automatically retry with a new connection (see for example Chrome bug #546991, now fixed). The relevant RfC says that the client MAY retry, not that it SHOULD or MUST. Failing to retry is not particularly user-friendly, but might be desirable for a debugging tool or HTTP library.

Event #6 is out of your control, but depending on the server's software, #5 may be fixable. Consult your server's HTTP/2 documentation for more information on how and when it sends HTTP 421. Alternatively, you could issue separate certificates for each domain, but that creates more administrative overhead and may not be worth it. You could also turn off HTTP/2 entirely, but that's probably overkill in most cases.
Old 12-29-2023, 04:24 PM

Huh?
Old 12-29-2023, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

I get this every once in a while, I simply wat a few seconds and repeat my request then it usually works.
Old 12-29-2023, 05:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I get this every once in a while, I simply wat a few seconds and repeat my request then it usually works.
Ditto
Old 12-29-2023, 05:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Huh?
Behind-the-scenes technical detail of what is causing the error. Both the client (browser) and the server (ToTV) software could be modified to avoid the error but it is unlikely that either will be. If the client (browser) was to be modified then what it would do is retry the request - which is exactly what happens when you hit the reload button.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 12-29-2023, 07:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

Well the search engine optimization technology has been obsolete for a few years now (it was considered Legacy in 2018). So it's most likely that the people who've chosen vBulletin for this forum never paid for the upgrade. Our browsers ARE upgraded, and are showing that attempts to redirect to current configuration is failing because - the forum doesn't have any current configuration.
Old 12-29-2023, 10:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Get this regularly. Wait then try again. If at first you don't succeed, try again. I also get a diagram that shows where the issue is and it is always the server.

Tags
error, request, connection, server, match

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.