Just Another Cable Provider Ripoff

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2022, 07:19 AM
Veteran member
Default My fault not the provider

I have one of these full packages from Xfinity with what I believe is 185 channels and I have very little complaints to what they have been providing me. Now what I started to realize was that I only watch a handful of channels offered. Other than local stations, maybe ever now and then HBO, HGTV, I've been spending most of my time on Netflix and Prime. My contract is coming to an end in November and have decided to cut the cord. It's not even the money, it's I'm purchasing something I don't use. As I said I have no complaints with Xfinity's service and will continue using them for my internet and mobile phone, but good-by TV.

There is endless info on cutting the cord on YouTube. You can tailor what comes into your home to match your needs without signing a contract. I've already purchased streaming devices, Roku and Chromecast and I'm more than happy with their performance.
Old 09-17-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseydog View Post
Since 2016 I subscribed to a cable package that includes home phone service with voice mail. Just noticed I was not getting voice mails. Per the cable provider this feature was dropped from my package(without notice) If I want this feature I will be charged an additional fee. I am not ready to cut the cord til I can technical assistance.
Who is that? Why is it a secret?
Old 09-17-2022, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
I have one of these full packages from Xfinity with what I believe is 185 channels and I have very little complaints to what they have been providing me. Now what I started to realize was that I only watch a handful of channels offered. Other than local stations, maybe ever now and then HBO, HGTV, I've been spending most of my time on Netflix and Prime. My contract is coming to an end in November and have decided to cut the cord. It's not even the money, it's I'm purchasing something I don't use. As I said I have no complaints with Xfinity's service and will continue using them for my internet and mobile phone, but good-by TV.

There is endless info on cutting the cord on YouTube. You can tailor what comes into your home to match your needs without signing a contract. I've already purchased streaming devices, Roku and Chromecast and I'm more than happy with their performance.
I have thought about the same thing. But, whenever I do the math, my savings would be less than $40 per month. But, that includes adding YoutubeTV for $65. I would need it for local channels, the Golf channel, and a few others.

I would suggest using the website, "suppose.tv" to calculate the cost for everything you need. Also, visit the Xfinity store about a month before your contract expires to see what Xfinity is offering, and do an apples to apples comparison.
Old 09-17-2022, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersweeney View Post
I was thinking about getting a beeper….
Hahaha! The good old electronic leash! 😂
Old 09-17-2022, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Most cable packages have a one year of two year agreement with discounts or added services. Some people do not keep track of the expiration date for the agreement. So, when the price increases or they lose a service, they think they are being ripped off, but it is because their agreement expired. I think the cable company should notify the customer in advance of the agreement expiration date, but most of them do not. But, I wouldn't call it a ripoff.
you are correct. keep an eye on the bill, if it suddenly increases, i get on the phone & the rep will direct me to another plan.
Old 09-17-2022, 10:00 AM
Veteran member
Default buy this

since you have cable - buy an OUMA.com machine and pay 4.77 ( taxes ) per month.

FREE voice phone and access your messages from anywhere..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseydog View Post
Since 2016 I subscribed to a cable package that includes home phone service with voice mail. Just noticed I was not getting voice mails. Per the cable provider this feature was dropped from my package(without notice) If I want this feature I will be charged an additional fee. I am not ready to cut the cord til I can technical assistance.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:51 AM

http://https://www.obitalk.com/info/products/obi202

I use a Google Voice unit from Obihai.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:32 PM
Veteran member
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have thought about the same thing. But, whenever I do the math, my savings would be less than $40 per month. But, that includes adding YoutubeTV for $65. I would need it for local channels, the Golf channel, and a few others.

I would suggest using the website, "suppose.tv" to calculate the cost for everything you need. Also, visit the Xfinity store about a month before your contract expires to see what Xfinity is offering, and do an apples to apples comparison.
Thanks for the info, but as I said in my posting, it has less to do with price and more to do that I need to sign a contract. I want to be able to purchase and drop things I don't want, when I want to.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
Thanks for the info, but as I said in my posting, it has less to do with price and more to do that I need to sign a contract. I want to be able to purchase and drop things I don't want, when I want to.
Note that, you can upgrade or downgrade your Xfinity services at any time without a penalty, as long as you keep one service. So, if you keep the internet service, there is no penalty for deleting channels, etc.
Old 09-18-2022, 09:34 AM
Thumbs up OOMA, the best choice. https://www.amazon.com/Ooma-Telo-Service-Amazon-Devices/dp/B0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkinsGuy View Post
Try OOMA about $5 month for basic service. Initial investment about $100.
Great reception, clarity & the best bargain - $5.61/month
Old 09-19-2022, 05:43 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

or contact me and I will give you same as cable plus more for $30/mth, saving $125-$140 per month
Old 09-19-2022, 05:46 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

or contact me and I will give you same as cable plus more for $30/mth, saving $125-$140 per month
Old 09-21-2022, 07:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Just curious are you getting unlimited DATA too? Most cable phone companies give you 2 GB.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:07 AM
Gold member

We cut the land line cord with Xfinity just yesterday. Only saved about $10.00/month, but I am now aware of just how confusing (intentional?) the bill is. Bottom line is that Xfinity says they give me internet service at a whopping 1200+ MPS and charge me $95 per month (that includes fees and taxes). Now I have to figure out how to get rid of that one too. We cut the cable cord about a month ago and now have a streaming service which works just fine.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
We cut the land line cord with Xfinity just yesterday. Only saved about $10.00/month, but I am now aware of just how confusing (intentional?) the bill is. Bottom line is that Xfinity says they give me internet service at a whopping 1200+ MPS and charge me $95 per month (that includes fees and taxes). Now I have to figure out how to get rid of that one too. We cut the cable cord about a month ago and now have a streaming service which works just fine.
If you cancel the Xfinity internet service, make sure your contract has expired. Otherwise, they will charge you an early termination fee. You can cancel some Xfinity services at any time, but if you cancel every service, you are subject to the fee.
Closed Thread

Tags
cable, voice, feature, provider, technical

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.