Golf cart to slow

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Default Golf cart to slow

This is my first try on this type of forum. We have just moved to The Villages and our new 2008 Club Car Precedent gas model seems to be in slow motion compared to all other carts down here! I have tried calling Club Car and a local authorized dealer, and have been treated somewhat unkindly. Any tips or help in gaining some speed would be much appreciated. I'm planning on joining the golf cart club, but their next meeting is a ways off.
Thanks for any imput.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee
Red face

Sorry I can't help.......however,

Welcome to THE VILLAGES!

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 11-15-2008, 03:45 PM

Woolman44,
Was it Cart World that you had problems with? If so, I'd work past the service person you spoke with and arrange for a technician to come to your home to look at the speed problem. We just had a Tech (Kevin) from Cart World (352-753-1800) look at our 2 carts. Highly Skilled, knew his stuff, very personable. Will test drive using GPS to tell your speed. Extremely happy so far, pick up is the 18th to correct several problems. I would be cautious of any changes to your cart that would void your 4 yr warrantee. Good Luck.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Sage

I believe the speed limit in TV on the golf cart paths is 19 mph. I think most carts are "programmed" to have a maximum speed of 19. I know my Columbia Par Car is.

Perhaps the speedier carts you are noticing are "street legal". They can drive on the country roads (such as 466), and must be licensed and insured like a car.

You say you've just moved to The Villages. I find the longer I'm here, the more I relax and enjoy the scenery and the ambience. Perhaps once you live here for a while, you'll enjoy slowing down and smelling the roses.

If not, you could do what Fireboy did, and buy a motor cycle. Zoom zoom.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:32 PM

Is your cart gas or electric? We have higher speed gears in the back of our gas cart, but remember the speed limit is 19 and I have heard of people getting costly tickets for going faster.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Gold member

Where was the cart purchased from? If the cart came from another area other than here most places don't use the high speed rear ends. Most of the golf carts that are purchased in this area have the highspeed rear ends and the only way to correct it is to get a new rear end.

Also when you see carts going faster that 19 mph the govenors have been adjusted to allow them to go faster.

Also you will at times see the larger 10 inch tires either on the back or all the way around. With the larger tires on the rear you will gain a couple mph. Some people only change the rear tires which looks funny and others will change all four to match.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I see you have a gas cart , there is a setting on the Governor and you can change it yourself , but I would try to get the dealer to do it first......If they refuse then tell them your returning the cart because your not happy with it.....I have a feeling they will be glad to adjust the cart up to 19 mph where it belongs...............

lots of guys will do it for you if you continue to have a problem..

fumar
Old 11-16-2008, 04:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
I see you have a gas cart , there is a setting on the Governor and you can change it yourself , but I would try to get the dealer to do it first......If they refuse then tell them your returning the cart because your not happy with it.....I have a feeling they will be glad to adjust the cart up to 19 mph where it belongs...............
fumar
Oh Great Fumar: Perhaps Woolman's cart is already going 19 MPH, and he wants to go faster. How high can a gas cart be adjusted?

My cart goes 19 MPH and people zoom by me all the time. I think a lot of carts are programmed much higher than the speed limit.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:36 AM

To go any faster, you will need to change the gear in the differential on gas models. Beware, speeding tickets are expensive.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:50 PM

disney07
Thanks for the info, we do have an appointment with a Club Car service man scheduled soon, hopefully it's Kevin. The big issue was the cart was not purchased here, and they said no adjustments could be made under the warranty!!! Never heard of such a thing...lol
Old 11-16-2008, 12:57 PM

I read in the owners manual that the speed set at factory is 13 MPH. I believe thay call this golf course speed. I don't mind the slower speed, but when we get a caravan with the neighbors to go out to eat, they are always waiting for us.....
Old 11-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I think it's just some kind of adjustment made to allow it to go to the 19mph instead of "golf path" speed of 13. Many guys advertise cart service, if your dealer won't help, try one of them. I'd not worry about the warranty personally, they'd likely not even know it was changed. Good luck
Old 11-19-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney07 View Post
Woolman44,
Was it Cart World that you had problems with? If so, I'd work past the service person you spoke with and arrange for a technician to come to your home to look at the speed problem. We just had a Tech (Kevin) from Cart World (352-753-1800) look at our 2 carts. Highly Skilled, knew his stuff, very personable. Will test drive using GPS to tell your speed. Extremely happy so far, pick up is the 18th to correct several problems. I would be cautious of any changes to your cart that would void your 4 yr warrantee. Good Luck.
Just a follow up on Cart World. As I stated they picked up our cart yesterday the 18th. So today I'm getting ready to do a little squeaking, and find out loooong it's going to be sitting there before they get to it......Did not get a chance, they called, went over the related problems and the servicing. Wanted to make sure we'd be home today to drop off.....WOW. Dropped it off, Running Great. Highly recommended, Kevin and his knowledge & troubleshooting skills and Cart World service department, Fast, excellent servicing.

As for the 4 yr warrantee, you'll be happy as will I up until the year 2012. Labor/Service/Parts FREE. I was told they've had carts come in, sent them right back out because of adjustments that voided the warrantee. JohnN, their business is Golf Carts, and "they'd likely not even know it was changed"?

Last edited by disney07; 11-22-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Eternal Member
Default Borrow a GPS

Woolman - we thought our cart was going too slow, so I tried using the little Magellan I bought for the car. They tell you the speed you are traveling. Mine was going 19-20-even 21 MPH (downhill only) at times. Many other carts are faster. I was tempted to fiddle with the governor on mine until I read that it voids the warranty and your insurance won't cover you in an accident. Seemed like too much of a risk to take, so I left it alone. I'm not in that much of a rush.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Platinum member

Modifying a cart to exceed the legal limit will void the warranty. In most cases it will void the insurance.
A lot of those who modified them to exceed the limit are now retrofitting them to factory specs.
A golf cart that is equipped to exceed 20MPH is no longer a golf cart. If cited, a speeding ticket will be the least of your worries. In fact, you may not even get a speeding ticket but the cost of operating an improperly equipped vehicle gets real expensive.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.