How do you clip only part of a quote for a response.

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
Richie, as the OP of this thread you have the ability to add a poll to it by using the "Thread Tools" button above your first post. As a suggestion, consider creating one asking the question:

"Did you know how to use the quote mark (") to quote mulitple postings before you began reading this thread? Y or N."
The results could be interesting, or at least I think so! The Villages Florida
The thing is, I still don't know how that quote mark thing works. I click it and it does nothing that I can see, so I'm stumped.

So what I do is I copy and paste the beginning brackets opening, and the ending quote brackets to the part, or parts, of the quote I want.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Sage
Default I never knew about the ("") pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
The thing is, I still don't know how that quote mark thing works. I click it and it does nothing that I can see, so I'm stumped.

So what I do is I copy and paste the beginning brackets opening, and the ending quote brackets to the part, or parts, of the quote I want.
Quote:
Richie, as the OP of this thread you have the ability to add a poll to it by using the "Thread Tools" button above your first post. As a suggestion, consider creating one asking the question:

"Did you know how to use the quote mark (") to quote mulitple postings before you began reading this thread? Y or N."
On mine the ("") turns red. It simply marks the post that you hit ("") as one you wish to be quoted when you hit POST REPLY or QUOTE. You can mark as many as you wish before you hit "post reply" or the "Quote" button.

I never knew that feature existed. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
The thing is, I still don't know how that quote mark thing works. I click it and it does nothing that I can see, so I'm stumped. ......
Richie - Let's say you want to quote two prior posts in a new post you want to create for a thread. Scroll up to the first post you want to quote then click the " button (Multi-Quote This Message). You're right - nothing will happen which is o.k. Scroll to the second post you want to quote and click the " button for that post, too. Again, nothing happens. Then scroll to the bottom (or top) of the entire thread, click "Post Reply" and........voila! Both of your captured quotes are plugged into where you're going to enter your post info.

Hope that helps.....and hope it makes sense as well!

Bill
Old 03-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:

Try doing this:

1. Click on the " marks to the right of the quote button.
2. Do the same on the other post you want to quote. (You can do more that two if you want)
3. Those you clicked should now have a red background added.
4. Now go back to the first post (last entered) and click the quote button.
5. Your message box should now show with the posts you .clicked the " button and made red.

You can experiment a little to get the hang of it by trying and using the preview button to check the results.

I've been using the same software that's used for this forum on another forum for a few years and until this thread I never knew how to do this either.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Richie - Let's say you want to quote two prior posts in a new post you want to create for a thread. Scroll up to the first post you want to quote then click the " button (Multi-Quote This Message). You're right - nothing will happen which is o.k. Scroll to the second post you want to quote and click the " button for that post, too. Again, nothing happens. Then scroll to the bottom (or top) of the entire thread, click "Post Reply" and........voila! Both of your captured quotes are plugged into where you're going to enter your post info.

Hope that helps.....and hope it makes sense as well!

Bill
Between our separate instructions Richie should get it. If he dosen't then we should just give him a time-out and send him to his room for 30 minutes!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Between our separate instructions Richie should get it. If he dosen't then we should just give him a time-out and send him to his room for 30 minutes!
LOL; OK, I get it, I'll have to try it. But, what I was really asking about was when people just take parts of one very long thread and link to a couple of disconnected paragraphs or sentences in that one post.

You're talking about listing two distinct posters quotes at the head of your new post so that you may reply to both at once. Right?
I didn't know how to do this either, and I thank you, but it wasn't what i was asking about.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
LOL; OK, I get it, I'll have to try it. But, what I was really asking about was when people just take parts of one very long thread and link to a couple of disconnected paragraphs or sentences in that one post. (See below)

You're talking about listing two distinct posters quotes at the head of your new post so that you may reply to both at once. Right? RIGHT
I didn't know how to do this either, (but you just did the multi-quote) and I thank you, but it wasn't what i was asking about.
1. Click quote as you usually do.
2. Edit the quoted text (within QUOTE tags) by deleting the text you don't want and leave what you do want. Be careful not to delete any of the brackets "[" or "]" of the tags in the quoted text or it won't be correctly placed in a quote box.

That's all there is to it.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

It is good to see this old thread appear again because maybe it can help somebody else like it helped me. And now, lots of things are getting cleared up here. That's wonderful. I know how it feels to not be able to figure something out about posting.

Even though my problem was not the same as the one in the original post, I asked another question and learned that the answer had been staring me in the face the entire time -- not surprising -- I am kinda like that.

Last fall, in Post #7, mak44070 answered my question with concise and perfect instructions.

Mak led me out of the woods where I had been stumbling around for longer than I want to think about, trying to find my way to the wonders of grabbing more than one quote at a time, complete with their blue backgrounds.

Thanks again, mak.

Boomer the Oblivious
Old 03-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=skyguy79;341495]Try doing this:

2. Do the same on the other post you want to quote. (You can do more that two if you want)
5. Your message box should now show with the posts you .clicked the " button and made red.

You can experiment a little to get the hang of it by trying and using the preview button to check the results.

I wondered how does one do multiple quotes and the mystery has been made crystal clear.

Thanks skyguy79.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Quote:
Try doing this:

I wondered how does one do multiple quotes and the mystery has been made crystal clear.

Thanks skyguy79.
You're welcome! You'll notice that your quote of my post didn't get placed in it's own box (like I have it above) and that's because you somehow deleted the "[/quote]" from the end of the quoted text.

Note that the directives in brackets are commands that become invisible once your message is posted... unless of course they are, by error or omission, not properly opened at the beginning and closed at the end of the quote.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
1. Click quote as you usually do.
2. Edit the quoted text (within QUOTE tags) by deleting the text you don't want and leave what you do want. Be careful not to delete any of the brackets "[" or "]" of the tags in the quoted text or it won't be correctly placed in a quote box.

That's all there is to it.
Thanks Skyguy. This I actually ended up figuring out on my own, but I mistakenly thought that people were using the multiple quote icon for this ..........and; well sometime my brain doesn't want to absorb the techie stuff.
But now I know how to do both things and that's pretty cool.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
The Quote button is at the lower right of the message entry box.
Tony, do you have any other little tricks up your sleeve?
Old 04-19-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks Skyguy. But now I know how to do both things and that's pretty cool.
Yes it is cool being able to reply to two posts at the same time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Tony, do you have any other little tricks up your sleeve?
Many times our "tech support" would reply, "What do you want to know?" And I just said, "DUH, I don't know what I don't know, so I don't know what to tell you I don't know!!

Bottom line, we learn from each other asking questions.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbama View Post
Yes it is cool being able to reply to two posts at the same time!

Many times our "tech support" would reply, "What do you want to know?" And I just said, "DUH, I don't know what I don't know, so I don't know what to tell you I don't know!!

Bottom line, we learn from each other asking questions.
ME TOO!
Old 04-21-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
ME TOO!
See you learn something everyday on TOTV
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.