Phone service 19.95 a year

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2010, 06:13 AM
Default Phone service 19.95 a year

Has anybody ever used Magic Jack phone service for 19.95 a year. If so do you have any problems with there service?
Old 08-06-2010, 06:32 AM
Founder

My experience with Magic Jack was not good. It requires a high speed internet connection and its quality depends on the strength of that connection. Even with broadband cable there were many times that the conversation would drop out. Words would be missing, sometimes complete sentences.

If the internet is down....no phone service.

Although they say it will, it did not work for my fax machine.

For me, the constant "MAGIC JACK" software on the computer screen was a nuisance.

I found customer service to be almost non-existent.

It hooks up to only one phone instrument. If you have multiple phones, no luck, as far as I know.

Other than that, it's great.

I have read here in the past that some people love it.

JLK
Old 08-06-2010, 06:32 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I use it and it works fine with a high speed connection. The downside it you have to leave your PC or laptop on all the time, set to never timeout. I even carry one with me when I travel. Most hotels now have wifi free, so I just plug their phone into the magic jack and talk for free when I travel.

I actually like the Ooma better. It costs $210 one time, works for life, and does not require a PC. Hooks directly into your modem. However both require the higher speed broadband to work really well.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:23 AM
Platinum member

Try Vonage... I have the $9.95/mo service. Lot's of standard features like voice messages sent to you PC as an email, caller ID and a long list of others. There is no hesitation with conversations and voice is very clear. Don't need a PC running with this either.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I use it and it works fine with a high speed connection. The downside it you have to leave your PC or laptop on all the time, set to never timeout. I even carry one with me when I travel. Most hotels now have wifi free, so I just plug their phone into the magic jack and talk for free when I travel.

I actually like the Ooma better. It costs $210 one time, works for life, and does not require a PC. Hooks directly into your modem. However both require the higher speed broadband to work really well.
If you have an Internet connection that is the lowest speed offered by Comcast will Ooma work? Or do you have to select their highest speed connection?
Old 08-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Banned

Forgot to ask. Why do you like Ooma beter than Majic Jack? Is it because you do not need a computor or are the connections better?
Old 08-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Sage

I have the mid range speed from comcast in TV and Ooma works pretty well. Voice quality good, no dropped calls, a little better then Magic Jack. I have Ooma in VA and have the highest speed broadband and Ooma works even better. Excellent call quality.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,175 Times in 441 Posts
Thumbs down Magic Jack

Talk Host....I agree....not happy with Magic Jack...Returned to Best Buy
Old 08-06-2010, 02:03 PM

thanks for all your input. will have to check out Ooma. Never herd of that service.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Sage

Here is the link to their web site

http://www.ooma.com/micro/?utm_sourc..._term=ooma_b_s

They show $250, but Costco has them for $210. Even Costco online.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Veteran member
Default Magic jack - use google voice instead!

I used magic jack for a year. Actually didn't have problems. I heared everyone well. Some people felt I sounded like I was in a big hall. I used my web cam as the microphone and my laptop speakers .., It did come in handy when in a hotel but I guess you can use your cell.

What I use for free long distance is google voice. www..google.com/voice.
All you need is a phone. I have it linked to my home phone, office and cell phones. Which means if someone calls you on your number it rings on all phones you link to it. So I can get a call, answer it from my office and drive my wife crazy cause she heard the phone ring at home but since I beat her to it, no one is there!

You can go on line and use your contact list to make a call and even send free text messages to cell phones. If you're not online, just call your number from one of your linked phones, enter your password and you can make a call or receive voice mail.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Banned

I2, The web site says plus applicable taxes. With your TV service do you have all the taxes that one normally pays for a land line?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.