TOTV slow to download? Semi freezes up?

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default TOTV slow to download? Semi freezes up?

The last few days I have been experiencing that the pages load much slower. And then when done it takes another 30 or 40 seconds before I can scroll the page.

It is not my computer or the internet provider as TOTV is the only site I experience this.

Any others?

btk
Old 04-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The last few days I have been experiencing that the pages load much slower. And then when done it takes another 30 or 40 seconds before I can scroll the page.

It is not my computer or the internet provider as TOTV is the only site I experience this.

Any others?

btk
I had similar problems for a number of weeks where the most notable was when opening the smilies popup window here on TOTV. It could take more than a minute before it would open and even didn't open at all.

I had searched for a solution on a number of times and the only thing that came close to a remote possibility involved questionable solutions even involving making changes in the registry, which I try to avoid like the plague. Like you, I too thought it might have been the site although a few of the problems showed up elsewhere, which didn't really surprise me.

I finally spent a morning a few days ago going through as many maintainces routines I could think of, things like deleting temporary files, cleaning the registry, (CC Cleaner) defragging, Malware cleaning (Malwarebytes) and other measures I can't even remember. When I got done I learned that it was my computer after all that accounted for most of the problems, and thankfully my popup was now loading right away!

I'm not saying that this would be a solution to your problem, but it doesn't hurt to try doing similar, matter of fact it should make at least some improvements in the health of your operating system.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-17-2012, 09:34 AM
Administrator

We'll look into this.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 AM
TOTV Moderator

I've not seen any site performance issues (i.e. slowness) in the past week. Last issue was the "server busy" messages from last week, but, haven't seen those lately.

Anyone else experiencing Bille's symptoms?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Platinum member

When I posted yesterday afternoon TOTV was slow and unresponsive causing me to hit "submit" twice and inadvertently duplicating a post. It's only recently (within the last week) that I've noticed this sluggishness.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Administrator

We performed some diagnostics. Home page loading, all using Ctrl F5 to load all items, nothing cached -

Test 1 - 3.11 seconds

Test 2 - 3.06 seconds

Test 3 – 3.6 seconds

Test 4 – 4.17 seconds

Test 5 – 4.01 seconds

Test 6 – 3.13 seconds

Test 7 – 5.77 seconds

Test 8 – 4.3 seconds

Test 9 – 7.24 seconds

Test 10 – 4.26 seconds

Testing New Posts link

Test 1 – 2.63 seconds

Test 2 - 2.1 seconds

Test 3 – 1.26 seconds

Testing with thread about issues

Test 1 - 6.53 seconds

Test 2 – 4.33 seconds

Test 3 – 4.67 seconds

Test 4 - 4.02 seconds

Test 5 – 4.85 seconds

From Google Webmaster Tools - Performance overview

On average, pages in your site take 4.7 seconds to load (updated on Apr 16, 2012).

Yes, we did have a few issues a little while ago regarding the “site being busy”. We addressed that by checking the logs and tweaking the server settings. Since then we have not had another report of the issue nor has there been any entry in the server logs with that error.

As to the site being slow for certain users, what browser are you using. Not just the type but the version number too please. Have they tried any other browsers? If so, which ones and is the result the same. Have you performed basic PC maint, such as clearing cookies, cache and temp files? Typically if it is a site issue it is user wide and not user specific. We will continue to do research and see if there is anything we can discover.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Eternal Member

When you get this condition, bring up Task Manager and look at the CPU icon at the bottom as you do your usual activities on TOTV. When mine PC gets slow on TOTV, I notice high CPU when dong anything. I close down IE and restart IE and it all goes back to normal. I think that there are some threads out there that get out of whack and shutting down IE clears up the pointers.

Also, each Monday I clean out all my temp files which might help.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:42 PM

I have a different problem. When I go from a thread back to the listing (i.e. new posts) it takes several clicks on the back arrow to get me back to the original page. I hope I explained the problem well enough to get some help in fixing it!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfjr View Post
I have a different problem. When I go from a thread back to the listing (i.e. new posts) it takes several clicks on the back arrow to get me back to the original page. I hope I explained the problem well enough to get some help in fixing it!
some of us had that problem before! poster xavier provided the fix:

"Okay, here's the fix: In IE7, IE8, or IE9 click on Tools, then click on Internet Options, then click on the Security Tab. Click on the Restricted Sites Icon all the way to the right. Click on Sites (just below the Restricted Sites Icon). In the Add this Website to the Zone box, clear whatever is in there. Type *.doubleclick.com and click on Add. Go back to the Add this Wesite to the Zone box and clear anything that is in there. Type *.doubleclick.net and click on Add. Click on Close. Click on OK and you are done.

It works fine for me. The only other thing that I did was: Click on Tools, Click on Security, Click on Custom level, Find "Launching programs and files in a IFRAME" and click on Disable. Find "Websites in less privileged web content can navigate into this zone" and click on Disable. Click on OK and Click on OK.

Go back to Talk of the Villages and go to a thread. Click on the back button and wah-lah, all fixed."

hope this helps

Old 04-18-2012, 06:04 AM
Sage

Start using FireFox instead of Internet Explorer and things will change for the better.

This site loads pages normally.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
some of us had that problem before! poster xavier provided the fix:

"Okay, here's the fix: In IE7, IE8, or IE9 click on Tools, then click on Internet Options, then click on the Security Tab. Click on the Restricted Sites Icon all the way to the right. Click on Sites (just below the Restricted Sites Icon). In the Add this Website to the Zone box, clear whatever is in there. Type *.doubleclick.com and click on Add. Go back to the Add this Wesite to the Zone box and clear anything that is in there. Type *.doubleclick.net and click on Add. Click on Close. Click on OK and you are done.

It works fine for me. The only other thing that I did was: Click on Tools, Click on Security, Click on Custom level, Find "Launching programs and files in a IFRAME" and click on Disable. Find "Websites in less privileged web content can navigate into this zone" and click on Disable. Click on OK and Click on OK.

Go back to Talk of the Villages and go to a thread. Click on the back button and wah-lah, all fixed."

hope this helps
If I remember correctly, this was for a specific problem with Google ads a couple of months ago that was subsequently fixed. I removed all of the changes that are indicated in this message as it was only a stogap.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfjr View Post
Are you accessing a thread with multiple pages? If you go through every page, you will have to back your way out to the first page before you can get out.

What I do when there are multiple pages in a thread is right click on the thread and open it in a new tab. That way I can go through the whole thread post by post and delete the tab when I am done.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
Are you accessing a thread with multiple pages? If you go through every page, you will have to back your way out to the first page before you can get out.

What I do when there are multiple pages in a thread is right click on the thread and open it in a new tab. That way I can go through the whole thread post by post and delete the tab when I am done.
I do what you describe, but there is one big problem with it. ME! I sometime lose track on how many tabs I have open and start having performance problems until I wake up and notice it!
The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.