TOTV is wider - why?

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2009, 07:57 AM
Eternal Member

I am currently at 1024X768 and the gray bar at the bottom is one inch to the left. I have to move it about 3/4 of an inch to the right to see the entire legible area - including the page index.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Founder

This is really curious. It seems to be isolated to just a few machines. I have checked, my office, my wife's office and my laptop. All are normal. Both Tony and Darrel, report no issues. This morning, I called two friends in The Villages, and their screens are normal.

Nothing at TOTV has been changed. The settings are the same as they have always been. The settings are also at where they are suppose to be.

It's is sounding like some local settings on some of the computers have changed. I know it's frustrating when something like this occurs to a persons computer and it's difficult to locate. At this point, we are inclined to conclude that the problem is not with the site, rather with individual equipment. We can't make any changes here, when the settings are normal.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:50 AM

It happened with my computer too. Was normal last night but I needed to widen the screen area this morning. I doubt its everybodys computer at basically the same time. Did it have anything to do with adding the weather?
Old 12-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobeano View Post
It happened with my computer too. Was normal last night but I needed to widen the screen area this morning. I doubt its everybody's computer at basically the same time. Did it have anything to do with adding the weather?
Agree that it is too coincidental to be on our end all at the same time. I'm sure we all use varying levels of browsers (I use Firefox 3.5x for example).

I'd say it started about two weeks ago. Was something added to the basic page then? Maybe something in a header or footer or side ad? Some Javascript widgets will have a 'buffer' zone around them. Which one was the last one added?
Old 12-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Founder

The weather was added three days ago.

We are still investigating

JLK
Old 12-20-2009, 10:09 AM

if its wider on some and not others you have hit a button by mistake and made it larger on your computor

drd
Old 12-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default Mixed results here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
We have checked, and the forum is set at 1024x768. That is the proper size and hasn't been changed.

Did any of you upgrade your operating system or internet browser? Are you set at 800 X600 per chance?
Hi T.H. ,

On my desktop PC set at 1024x768, on 15"monitor, I have the same results as others here...does not fit on screen.

On my laptop, on 17" screen, set at 1366x768, it works just fine..full screen visible.

Your web hoster hasn't changes your setting have they?

Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Founder

As an experiment, we have removed the Accuweather informaion panel. Has that changed anything those who are experiencing a wide screen?
Old 12-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
As an experiment, we have removed the Accuweather informaion panel. Has that changed anything those who are experiencing a wide screen?
No, the problem remains.

It appears to me that the three landscape ads above the forum are too wide. I am referring to the ads titled Jerome's Landscaping, Lake Weir Living and Support our Sponsors. Above those ads, the width of the forum is fine. The ads and the forum below the ads are too wide.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
I am using 1024x768. I can see the entire screen now. The slide bar is not all the way to the right but the end of the screen is at the blue margin line on the right of the readable area.

Looks good!!!

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
You're making progress, but...

At the main page (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/), there is no horizontal scroll bar. However when I read messages, there is a horizontal scroll bar.

My screen resolution is 1024x768.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Founder

It is so hard to fix it when I can't see the problem. My screen is normal as are the other two in the house.

We working on it though. We have another idea we're gonna try
Old 12-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Gold member

The forums are set to fit a 1024 screen res. I have made a few changes and it is displaying correctly. I've checked on on three different computers both Mac and PC. I checked it with IE Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome and Safari on all three computers.

There are many settings in browsers that control font size and other variables that of course we can't change. Things can even vary from version to version. There is of course no way to handle every possible scenario.

However, testing it from every angle I can it looks to be correct.

D.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.