1st time cruisers

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Platinum member

Cruisecritic.com is a good place to start. It is a wondeful web site. Check out all the boards.

We will be leaving May 31 on the Monarch out of Port Canaveral. It is a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas. This is a repeat for us. This is the least expensive cruise we have found. The Royal Caribbean's Monarch is an older smaller ship, but very nice. Rooms are a little small. We like it because it is a great 4 day getaway without breaking the bank.

We try to cruise out of Port Canaveral or Tampa, as it is so easy to drive there.

You will have a wonderful time. We have 2 dogs, so know how hard it is to leave them. They have always done well while we have been gone.
Tampa, FL
Old 05-13-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbettyr View Post
We have been on 20 cruises, and have used various agents and internet booking arrangements. Since moving here a little over 2 years ago have booked 5 trips with Julie at Ocala Travel, and she has gotten us great prices!! Some advice. When you first get on the ship, make sure to introduce yourself by your first name to both your cabin steward and your waiter. It really helps, rather than a lot of pople who have the attitude "I am here serve me". Also, if possible, and money permits, go a little upscale and try to stay away from the 3 low end cruise lines Norwegian, Royal Carib., and Carnival. Travel agent I had 10 years ago told me the industry would merge into 3 classes, and now Frommers Cruise Guide says the same thing. Low end the 3 mentioned above, Middle Range - Princess, Holland Am, and Celebrity. By themselves, Cunard. High end - Crystal, Seabourn, Radisson. Hope this helps
Good post! I wouldn't give Princess a middle range though. Been on 23 cruises and recently stopped cruising due to burnout thanks to autotipping of cruise employees has significantly deteriorated service. I know all the low end lines do this...unsure of middle range lines (as we ceased cruising three years ago)...I won't go on high end lines as I look terrible with a sweater tied around my neck.

Last edited by hoseman; 05-13-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

Our neighbors across the street are interested on going on a cruise with us this coming December................time to start checking things out again.
It will be a first for them and a second for us. Western Caribbean for about 4-5 days sounds good.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
Cruisecritic.com is a good place to start. It is a wondeful web site. Check out all the boards.

We will be leaving May 31 on the Monarch out of Port Canaveral. It is a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas. This is a repeat for us. This is the least expensive cruise we have found. The Royal Caribbean's Monarch is an older smaller ship, but very nice. Rooms are a little small. We like it because it is a great 4 day getaway without breaking the bank.

We try to cruise out of Port Canaveral or Tampa, as it is so easy to drive there.

You will have a wonderful time. We have 2 dogs, so know how hard it is to leave them. They have always done well while we have been gone.
Cruisecritic.com is a GREAT site to get any and all information you might need. They have roll call forums, general information forums, port of calls info, excursion info and 350,000+ members to answer any and all questions that you can think of. I have been on 7 cruises so far and wouldn't think of going on one without checking CruiseCritic.com for all the information on the ship and fellow cruiser reviews. I have saved more then $1000 on cruise fares by members notifying me of a price drop. RCCL is my favorite.
Skip
Old 05-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Love to cruise !!

In Jan. of 2011 their are about forty couples from the Villages going on an eight day cruise to Guatemala , Belize , Cozumel and Key West .......
Its with CARNIVAL and leaves from TV by Bus .........You can check with Legendary Journeys For details......I am only a passenger .......I have an inside room in the bowels of the ship next to the engine room....all the other guests get a bottle of champagne in their room , I get a can of WD-40 ...

Did I mention I don't swim ???? Fumar ...
Old 05-18-2010, 06:22 AM

Good link of what goes on.

http://www.cruisebruise.com/
Old 06-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Default Alaskan cruise

Am considering an Alaskan cruise next year.... Any suggestions of which itinerary (ports of call), which departure city, cruise line, or experiences any Villager has had? Have never cruised before so it's somewhat confusing. What would be a good month to go? Any and all suggestions would be helpful.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Default cruises

We have been on over 30 cruises and hope to live long enough to do 30 more... love cruising... (guess you can tell that).... we have 3 cats so we have to find a cat sitter.... we have someone come in every other day and clean the box and make sure the food and water bowls are filled....get our mail etc... once we leave we never worry about the pets... we know they are in good hands.... We always take the seasick pill the night before we leave, and every night on the cruise... keep a full stomach (like that is hard to do) and do a lot of walking.... and of course you must sit on the deck and take a nap... we are cheap cruisers... we don't drink so that saves us a LOT of money...but we like our soft drinks and bring them with us... we try to find a port we can drive to so we don't have to fly and spend the extra money... Jacksonville is a great place to park your car and sail.... we don't go to the formal nights anymore.. but we do attend all the shows.... we bring clothes to relax... we don't go to dinning room much anymore... we like the buffet etc... we REALLY relax... whatever you do have fun.... enjoy the sea air.... totally relax and you will be back again... becareful your final bill... people get the shock of their lives the last day..... let us know how your first cruise goes.... I use cruises.com... if I find a cruise cheaper...they match it....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.