23 day Bus and Cruise trip

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Gold member
Smile 23 day Bus and Cruise trip

Yesterday in the Daily Sun I saw an ad from Senior Adventures which showed a 23 day bus and cruise tour from May 30 to June 22, 2014. I have wanted to see Alaska but don't really like to fly if it can be avoided. This tour visits Chattanooga, Nashville, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, the 7 day Alaska cruise, San Francisco and Alcatraz, Clinton Presidential Center and the SS Alabama. Nashville includes the Country Music Hall of Fame and a Grand Ole Opry show. My wife and I have signed up for this tour and are looking forward to it. You can get further information by going to their website.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 12-16-2013, 05:13 PM
Default website

Can you post the website ? Sound really nice
what is the cost of this trip ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
Yesterday in the Daily Sun I saw an ad from Senior Adventures which showed a 23 day bus and cruise tour from May 30 to June 22, 2014. I have wanted to see Alaska but don't really like to fly if it can be avoided. This tour visits Chattanooga, Nashville, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, the 7 day Alaska cruise, San Francisco and Alcatraz, Clinton Presidential Center and the SS Alabama. Nashville includes the Country Music Hall of Fame and a Grand Ole Opry show. My wife and I have signed up for this tour and are looking forward to it. You can get further information by going to their website.

John
Old 12-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Mary View Post
Can you post the website ? Sound really nice
what is the cost of this trip ?
Mary,
Go here:
Multi Day Trips
Scroll down after clicking on MultiDay Trips.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:54 PM

Thanks Steven
Old 12-17-2013, 05:21 AM
Gold member

We took a trip to Orlando for a play thru Senior Adventures and was very happy with the experience. Of course this is a much bigger deal.

John

Old 12-17-2013, 08:06 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

I probably have bad memories about bus trips, but 130 hours on a bus with that one smelly bathroom in the back is not my cup of tea. But I'm guessing traveling by bus now is different than my memories of greyhound bus trips as a teenager in the 1960's.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
I probably have bad memories about bus trips, but 130 hours on a bus with that one smelly bathroom in the back is not my cup of tea. But I'm guessing traveling by bus now is different than my memories of greyhound bus trips as a teenager in the 1960's.
But they plan on stopping every couple of hours to have a potty break and refreshments. I'm sure it's different now. I have not experienced smelly bathrooms on the busses I've been on lately but maybe I'm breathing thru my mouth.

John

Old 12-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Sage

the opposite may become a problem...they do have a restroom on the buses but usually locked and you have to have an emergency to use it! that proved very troublesome for me on one trip....usually the frequent breaks are enough to avoid using the bus restroom. the drivers don't like to have to clean them out!
Old 12-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachacha View Post
the opposite may become a problem...they do have a restroom on the buses but usually locked and you have to have an emergency to use it! that proved very troublesome for me on one trip....usually the frequent breaks are enough to avoid using the bus restroom. the drivers don't like to have to clean them out!
I've never found them locked unless someone was using it.
John

Old 12-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I have been on tour bus trips about 30 times. Probably the longest trip was two weeks around both islands of New Zealand. The buses do stop every two hours for rest room breaks. Some countries even require such stops. Usually use of the on board restroom is discouraged as previously discussed. Those restrooms are very tight and one must maneuver in the rear stairwell to get into and out of them which I personally at my size find quite difficult. If the bus is on a rough and/or curvy road that can be a bit hazardous and add to the difficulty. Some large buses do have more readily accessible restrooms at the rear, no steps.

My greatest concern would be the size of the group going and the physical condition of the participants. Such factors can affect the scheduled timing if they get out of hand. Been there, experienced that! Size matters. In this case smaller is better.

If possible ask about the size of the group and the buses to be used. Nothing like having the A/C go out in the middle of the Utah desert in late June!

I enjoy meeting people and making new friends on such trips. A lot of camaraderie usually develops. Also having been a family man who took road trips with the wife and kinds I love not having to drive. I can look out the window and enjoy the scenery.

Expect to deal with "Tour Butt" though.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-29-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDog View Post
We took a trip to Orlando for a play thru Senior Adventures and was very happy with the experience. Of course this is a much bigger deal.

John
Did you go on the bus trip and would you do it again?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.