Amtrack AutoTrain

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2023, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts
Question Amtrack AutoTrain

I would like to hear from anyone that has taken the autotrain in the last year or so. We used it several times between 10 and 12 years ago, and as I understand some things have changed.
Specifically:
Do they still supply pillows and blankets?
Do they still have a breakfast?
What is the procedure for getting seats, are they assigned when you arrive at the station?
Any other items we should know about?
Thank you, VT
Old 05-19-2023, 07:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,045 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I would like to hear from anyone that has taken the autotrain in the last year or so. We used it several times between 10 and 12 years ago, and as I understand some things have changed.
Specifically:
What is the procedure for getting seats, are they assigned when you arrive at the station?
Thank you, VT
I took the AutoTrain last month. It was my 2nd trip on the AT, the previous one was about 10 years ago.

I would never take the AutoTrain, without getting a room. The service was very good, the food was ok and the trip was uneventful and even arrived ahead of schedule, which is a crap shoot at best.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:53 AM

We took the autotrain down in summer of 2020 when we moved to Florida. Packed the two cars full. We paid extra for a bedroom which comes with meals. They provided the bedding. It was costly but worth it - we considered it a splurge. We paid extra for priority unloading our autos. The meals served to us were delicious. If you just get a seat, then you can buy a meal on board or bring your own food and bring your own pillow - the seats don't fully recline.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:21 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,322 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Specifically:
Thank you, VT
I haven’t taken it but this is a recent YouTube video describing the experience. I think it would be much cheaper to drive.

https://youtu.be/C16UYeOj62E
Old 05-19-2023, 11:28 AM

I just took it.
If you have a room, you get meals, if just a seat, you have to go the dining car and buy food.
If getting a seat only, your seat is assigned when you get there. No pillows or blankets. Not sure about rooms since I booked too late and could
not get a room.
Old 05-19-2023, 12:06 PM
Veteran member

I've taken Autotrain at least four times, coming and going. Getting just a seat means a public bathroom that will get more foul as the trip proceeds. A room is okay, unless you're elderly and/or physically limited. Getting on and off the top bunk is a risky challenge. Last trip up, wife and I booked a so-called Family Room. Two beds (cots, essentially) are on the small level and are fine, if you're under six foot and weigh less than 200 pounds. I will say, the porter service is helpful and the food is more than satisfactory. However, the ride overall is noisy and shaky. You won't get much sleep.
Old 05-19-2023, 12:33 PM
Platinum member

What is the attraction of the auto train? I just checked prices and it costsvabout $115 for the ticket plus $225 for the car. That is for coach seats. If you want a roomette it is about $480 for 1 and $625 for 2 plus $225 for the car. It is 840 miles to DC. That is a long day or two short days so if you broke it up, you would need one night in a hotel. I checked Florence SC which is about halfway there. Hotel rooms are from $75 to $175. Plus you have the freedom of controlling your own schedule - stopping when you want and eating where you want to. Gas would be about $150 more.
Old 05-19-2023, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
What is the attraction of the auto train? I just checked prices and it costsvabout $115 for the ticket plus $225 for the car. That is for coach seats. If you want a roomette it is about $480 for 1 and $625 for 2 plus $225 for the car. It is 840 miles to DC. That is a long day or two short days so if you broke it up, you would need one night in a hotel. I checked Florence SC which is about halfway there. Hotel rooms are from $75 to $175. Plus you have the freedom of controlling your own schedule - stopping when you want and eating where you want to. Gas would be about $150 more.
Not everything is about the money....especially the Auto Train. For those that subscribe to the only important thing is cost then you are correct. We have taken the auto train multiple times over the years, and find it convenient, plus have met some wonderful people so the social aspect is a plus for us. As long as people us it they will continue to run it and when we have been onboard the rooms are usually sold out.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-19-2023, 01:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Not everything is about the money....especially the Auto Train. For those that subscribe to the only important thing is cost then you are correct. We have taken the auto train multiple times over the years, and find it convenient, plus have met some wonderful people so the social aspect is a plus for us. As long as people us it they will continue to run it and when we have been onboard the rooms are usually sold out.
As I said I haven’t taken it but according to this video, it seems like a nightmare.

I took an overnight Amtrak train years ago. It was one of the longest nights of my life. I like the freedom of driving and controlling my own schedule and itinerary.
Old 05-19-2023, 03:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
As I said I haven’t taken it but according to this video, it seems like a nightmare.

I took an overnight Amtrak train years ago. It was one of the longest nights of my life. I like the freedom of driving and controlling my own schedule and itinerary.
Your "time" is apparently not as valuable as time is to others.

As others have told you, not everything is about "money". Some folks considered their quality of life and their time, more important than a few bucks.

Last edited by BrianL99; 05-19-2023 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2023, 05:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Your "time" is apparently not as valuable as time is to others.

As others have told you, not everything is about "money". Some folks considered their quality of life and their time, must more important than a few bucks.
If time were a factor, you can drive it faster than taking the train. Google says you can do it in 12 hours. If you factor stops and meals, you should add 3-4 more hours. The train ride is scheduled for 17 hours but you have to drive to Sanford and you are supposed to get there two hours early.

And as to quality of life, watch the video that I posted. According to the Amtrak website, the dimensions of each roomette are 3’6’ X 6’6.
Pigs in California are supposed to have 24 square feet.

People may differ on their definition of quality of life but I would rather have the freedom of driving and staying in a hotel rather than staying in a room that small.
Old 05-19-2023, 06:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
If time were a factor, you can drive it faster than taking the train. Google says you can do it in 12 hours. If you factor stops and meals, you should add 3-4 more hours. The train ride is scheduled for 17 hours but you have to drive to Sanford and you are supposed to get there two hours early.

And as to quality of life, watch the video that I posted. According to the Amtrak website, the dimensions of each roomette are 3’6’ X 6’6.

People may differ on their definition of quality of life but I would rather have the freedom of driving and staying in a hotel rather than staying in a room that small.
Quote:
Quote:
I would like to hear from anyone that has taken the autotrain in the last year or so.

The OP asked for opinions from folks "who have taken the AutoTrain". I read his post again and I can't find where he said he was interested in opinions from folks who watched a YouTube Video, who have absolutely no experience with the subject at hand.

Some folks just can't help themselves and have to inject themselves into any subject that comes up, despite their lack of knowledge and/or experience with the subject.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

The OP asked for opinions from folks "who have taken the AutoTrain". I read his post again and I can't find where he said he was interested in opinions from folks who watched a YouTube Video, who have absolutely no experience with the subject at hand.

Some folks just can't help themselves and have to inject themselves into any subject that comes up, despite their lack of knowledge and/or experience with the subject.
I admitted I had never taken the auto train. However, I thought it would be useful for the OP to watch a 24 minute YouTube video that was uploaded 12 days ago and has had more than 200,000 views. The video was very detailed and should be useful to anyone who is interested in how the auto train currently operates.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:

Factor in the stress of 12 + hrs driving I95, likelyhood of sitting for an hour or two while they are clearing accidents.

Even the semi drivers are aggressive and rude now days making that drive more than miserable.

Pick your poison...
Old 05-19-2023, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:

It seems a thread can't get past the fifth post here without someone answering the question they thought the OP should have ask...
Closed Thread

Tags
autotrain, supply, pillows, blankets, breakfast

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.