Auto train

Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2015, 08:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Auto train

I'm interested (I think) in taking the auto train to Virginia and then driving back or drive up and train back. Have any of you done this? Would you do it again? The only route I am familiar with is Sanford to Virginia.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:01 AM
Veteran member
Default Autotrain

Sanford-Lorton is the only autotrain route. I've done it several times. Don't expect to get much sleep. A first class ticket gets you a tiny roomette with a miscule bathroom. It's private, but you still rock and roll all night. A parlor car ticket typically comes with noisy passengers (perhaps a screaming baby and restless kids going to Disney), uncomfortable seating and a bathroom facility that gets disgustingly filthy about three hours into your overnight trip. Autotrain ain't cheap, either. For the wife and I, flying and renting a car for a week-long trip to the mid-Atlantic area doesn't cost a lot more.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You hit on every hesitancy I had. Thank you!
Old 05-23-2015, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

OK, here is the flip side, took the auto-train several times, including one way and round trip, and NO problems. I found the seats much better than airline seats, and they recline, my wife was not able to sleep well, I was fine. Meals were above average. I would take eye covers, incase your seat is near the stairs, they leave a light on all night. Also, bring your own blanket and pillow.
With the rates the way they were about 1.5 years ago, if your trip is less than 2 weeks, fly and rent a car, if longer than 2 weeks double check, but it will probably be cheaper to use auto-train.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I love the train and my husband loves to drive. This seemed like a nice way to do both. Not wild about the destination but it works. Would be better if the destination was out west, but that isn't available.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
I'm interested (I think) in taking the auto train to Virginia and then driving back or drive up and train back. Have any of you done this? Would you do it again? The only route I am familiar with is Sanford to Virginia.
We have taken the train for the last three years. We got the bedroom that had a small private bathroom/shower combination, upper and lower bunks and enough outlets to run our stuff. We sleep well since the movement of the train tends to rock us to sleep. The train allowed us to fill the car with stuff that we need....specifically the foods we can't get here. Since we moved, not sure we will need the train again but we did enjoy the experience. Met new people, dinning room had fair food and the scenery is always fun. They have reduced the amenities over the last couple years and it is becoming more of a transportation only experience but it does beat driving. Kids and grand kids are visiting in June and they will take the train one way. Don't go coach.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-23-2015, 01:40 PM

In 2011 we used the Auto Train to move from Allentown(actually Lower Macungie), PA to TV. We loaded both our cars. We had the sleeper. Meals were very good. But we only went one way and it was very reasonable, especially since I used my AMTRAK frequent flyer points! We didn't sleep that good but at least we didn't have to drive 2 vehicles fro PA to FL.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Rates are also determined by the season, and also a full size car is $100 more. We took a trip in April 2011 (snowbird season) with a full size car and two people in seats was $900 each way down and up. We took another trip in August 2013 with a smaller car and it was $750 round-trip for two people in seats.

The seats do recline nicely and we had the last two seats in the train car on every trip so we didn't have to worry about people behind us. Check the seating chart with the clerk when you're checking in and ask for those seat numbers. We also get there a little early which helps. However, there is a lot of room between seat rows, nothing like an airplane, so you can do pretty much what you want. I also like the last two seats because there is less people around, and it seems once the train is underway everybody thinks they need to get on their cellphone and tell the world about their train ride.

I figured a drive to Maryland round-trip, motels one night each way, gasoline and wear and tear on your car, that $750 was a good deal. I also didn't miss sleeping, it's a unique experience and I enjoy looking out the window.

We did have one unfortunate experience on our last trip. About an hour before arrival in Sanford, apparently the local drug hangout in Palatka, Florida is the railroad tracks. Our train hit two people on the tracks who they said were probably on drugs. Our train trip had a five hour hold-up while the local police investigated, the train company could inspect the tracks, a medivac helicopter could be flown in to move the injured, and new train engineers had to be brought in to drive the train the last hour. It could of been even longer if we had been further away from Sanford.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:23 PM
Veteran member

We took the auto train to Lorton last August and drove the remainder to New Jersey. The trip was great. The porter was so helpful since it was our first time. He asked if I'd like to do a practice climb to my upper berth. I was convinced that I wouldn't be able to do it but I did and was even able to get up and down during the night to visit the restroom. My husband slept well but I have sleep problems under good circumstances. There are a lot of crossings and they blow the whistle at each one.......two long, two short. My best sleep was when we stopped for 15 mins in Florence SC to change engineers. It was a nice experience. Good meals, met nice people at meals, the Amtrak employees are very nice and helpful. I think we paid $500 with the car. Rate goes up in September.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:36 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
We took the auto train to Lorton last August and drove the remainder to New Jersey. The trip was great. The porter was so helpful since it was our first time. He asked if I'd like to do a practice climb to my upper berth. I was convinced that I wouldn't be able to do it but I did and was even able to get up and down during the night to visit the restroom. My husband slept well but I have sleep problems under good circumstances. There are a lot of crossings and they blow the whistle at each one.......two long, two short. My best sleep was when we stopped for 15 mins in Florence SC to change engineers. It was a nice experience. Good meals, met nice people at meals, the Amtrak employees are very nice and helpful. I think we paid $500 with the car. Rate goes up in September.
Our son and family moving to Princeton. Would the traffic from Lorton to Princeton be intolerable?
Tampa, FL
Old 05-24-2015, 07:01 AM
Veteran member

I took it last November. Glad I got the last mini room so I could lay flat and sleep. Our train hit someone at a crossing and delayed the train 8 hours as the engineer had to be removed and police report etc. 16 hours became 24. Quite an experiece. I would recommend if you can get the sleeper as I can not sleep sitting upright.
Auto Train - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-24-2015, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I always avoided 95, by heading towards Harrisburg, using 15, once in the Harrisburg area, I would typically take 83 to 78, this general route should work for you, also, 76 could be an option, but there tends to be lots of traffic near Philadelphia.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:56 PM
Platinum member

We just signed up for Auto Train in Sept. It will be our first time. We got a bedroom. When we get to Virginia, will head over to Colonial Williamsburg for a couple of nights. Then will visit our daughter and family in NC. After that drive home.
Tampa, FL
Old 05-26-2015, 03:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I'm anxious to hear how it goes. Have fun!
Old 05-28-2015, 09:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
Our son and family moving to Princeton. Would the traffic from Lorton to Princeton be intolerable?
We drove farther north in NJ than Princeton and I think it took us about 5 hours. Traffic is not intolerable but some routes take you through the DC area.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.