Barcelona

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2016, 10:05 AM
Default Barcelona

Booked out cruise but want to spend a few days prior in Barcelona. Any suggestions on what to see and where to stay in Barcelona?
Old 04-26-2016, 10:30 AM
Sage

you will of course want to see the architectural works of Gaudi, not just the Sagrada Familia cathedral but the Parke Gruel and the many buildings around the city. the regular cathedral and the square in front of it are usually lively....not to miss is a walk down Las Ramblas, a large pedestrian walk full of street performers etc which starts at the harbor with its statue of Columbus facing the west to the new world...one of my most memorable experiences was walking around on a rainy day with all the street noises and walking into a bar to use the restroom, met with complete silence with a room full of deaf people communicating in sign....those random things make the most vivid memories...Enjoy!
Old 04-26-2016, 12:10 PM

This is a great hotel right on the harbor and a short walk to la rambla and the subway. Very nice people, rooms, a great location!

Hotel Duquesa Cardona |Official| You can't beat direct price
Old 04-26-2016, 12:56 PM
Sage

Some of the most talented pick pockets in the world. Don't let anyone get close to you for any reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Some of the most talented pick pockets in the world. Don't let anyone get close to you for any reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk
Keep your wallet around your neck or in a front facing backpack or a fanny pack. We were pick-pocketed getting out of a cab in a crowd. It all happened so quickly. This happens so often that the police dept has a phone with a direct line to Visa and MasterCard. No joke. I would still go back, but we would be more careful in crowds.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:18 PM
Sage

and don't offer to buy anything from gypsies because you "want to help them"...while you are getting out your money they will steal most of it without you noticing a thing. i agree with the pouch around the neck under your clothing and tucked into pants in case they try cutting the string. i have seen it all, but i still love traveling in Europe
Old 04-26-2016, 03:42 PM

I echo what chachacha said. I would not advise ordering Sangria on Las Ramblas without knowing price in advance. Hope you learn from my mistake. The view from Catalonia Barcelona Plaza Hotel is wonderful. Two MUST SEE items, in my opinion, are the spectacular Font Magica at night and Montserrat via train. I hope to return someday. So many tapas restaurants, so little time. Also, loved La Boqueria Market. If you enjoy wine, we found that we could freely partake of the local wine with no ill effects the next day. We were told that it was because no preservatives were added. Who knows???

Last edited by vclaes; 04-26-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:55 PM

We were walking through a park and found some pot on the ground. When I picked it up a few dudes appeared out of nowhere and were amazed that we found it and suggested we smoke it together. No idea what they had in mind but I just gave it to them and told them "its all yours, enjoy!" and walked away. Again, no idea what they had in mind, can only imagine..
Old 04-26-2016, 05:29 PM
Sage

The Boqueria is not to be missed. Amazing displays of seafood, jamon, fruits and veggies. Try to eat there at a food counter and have a local beer and wonderful tapas.

I think they have "El Corte Ingles" department store. We visited this department store in Cordoba and Lisbon. Multi-floors with all kinds of merchandise, including groceries, including fresh seafood and meats. Women especially love to go there.

My husband carries an old wallet in his back pocket with worthless Caribbean money. So far no takers anywhere in Europe, including Barcelona. Ladies carrying purses should hang them around their necks while in a restaurant, not on the next chair.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:23 PM
Veteran member

We dined at El Asador De Aranda, which looks like beautiful mountain villa, years ago. The scenery was wonderful, as was the food. Definitely not for vegetarians! I had put a cruise together for 40/50 people (I was an agent), and about 20 of us went, and the entire group just raved about the place. The liquor and wine flowed freely, the portions were huge, and it was a really festive evening. If I ever return to Barcelona, I wouldn't hesitate returning.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:36 PM

Take a trip on the"Hop on, Hop Off" bus to acclimate you to the many sites and landmarks in and around the city!
Closed Thread

Tags
barcelona, suggestions, stay, days, cruise, booked, spend, prior

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.