Old 04-04-2024, 05:56 AM
Veteran member

stupid question ,retiredguy.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:24 AM
TOTV SPONSOR
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post

What is not mentioned here is the people were over an hour and 30 minutes late.
Best point of the thread
Old 04-04-2024, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My question would be, why would people pay money to go to Africa?
I learned in Kenya, according to Masai Tribe guides, that all Kenyans were required to mask during Covid. Kenya’s Covid death and illness rate was much lower than our nation’s rate. They had previously experienced pandemics and were cautious understanding that Covid was new and unknown at the time. And that it could mutate. They wondered why our nation didn’t require masks (when one medically could of course) and were amazed at how we decided to go such a dangerous route when we could afford to take care of one another. Basically, ‘why we didn’t care for one another by choosing to mask for the good of all’.
I learned in Africa that migrants are leaving ancestral homelands because weather patterns have changed and they no longer can live the simple lifestyle that farming afforded.
I learned in Africa, that entrepreneurial small farmers, use their animals droppings to create energy with a simple barrel and pipe system and have self-sufficient energy.
I learned in Africa how cultures, religions, beliefs can co-exist. I saw feet-on-the-ground examples of belief where neighbor helped neighbor and kids lived simple happy lives, wearing school uniforms, with gratitude and without media and electronics. Still spinning a wheel down the road with a stick…these kids were lean and athletic.
A close relative, deployed, in eastern Africa learned from a man around a fire, sharing a meal, that sometimes basic humanity and want of peace, a reasonable possibility of education and to be able to make a living are shared desires all around the world.
I learned that westerners can be seen as ‘walking ATMs’ and we are considered to be from the land of abundance. Some of the Africans learned that we have poverty and ignorance in the United States and this country has kids who don’t have enough to eat here too.
Plus of course incredible wildlife and beauty and the opportunity to measure what is happiness, true wealth and observe how many of us here, with so much, fail to understand our privileges.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:29 AM
Default No

If you decide to save money on a local tour, that is the risk you take, and the cruise makes that risk abundantly clear. I find it very irritating when people try to blame someone else for their decisions. You took the risk, so accept the consequences.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
You obviously have never been. Africa is a very big continent. I’ve been 3 times now and would go back in an instant if it were less expensive. The most magical place I’ve been.
Agree
Went on a safari with family and the whole trip was surreal. I was reluctant at first to go but it's definitely a major checkmark off of my travel bucket list. The people were amazing
Old 04-04-2024, 06:37 AM

Evidently the local coast guard took the passengers to the ship well before it needed to leave, yet after the 3 PM all aboard time. And the ship ignored all communication attempts from the coast guard. It likely would have been easier to board the passengers than go through the hassle of collecting and delivering their passports, then handling all the communication that followed. No disruption to the cruise either. I guess they wanted to make a point. But do you really want to be in the news for this reason? I guess if they figured it would encourage more people to take the ship's excursions it was a good business decision. I'm a platinum Latitudes member but will start cruising on Royal Caribbean instead of NCL from now on because personally I think it was a bad decision. And next time I am contacted by sales I will let them know.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footer View Post
Evidently the local coast guard took the passengers to the ship well before it needed to leave, yet after the 3 PM all aboard time. And the ship ignored all communication attempts from the coast guard. It likely would have been easier to board the passengers than go through the hassle of collecting and delivering their passports, then handling all the communication that followed. No disruption to the cruise either. I guess they wanted to make a point. But do you really want to be in the news for this reason? I guess if they figured it would encourage more people to take the ship's excursions it was a good business decision. I'm a platinum Latitudes member but will start cruising on Royal Caribbean instead of NCL from now on because personally I think it was a bad decision. And next time I am contacted by sales I will let them know.
You obviously have no idea why a cruise ship has to leave and arrive at a certain time, and you should definitely let the Sales people know why you will not be using them again, I am sure they will be really impressed.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
SOP for most cruise lines as I understand it. If the ship sells shore tours and you're on one of them the ship will wait if you're late returning. Private tours--you're s___ out of luck. Happens frequently. No sympathy here. They knew the rules.

The other end side of that coin--if the cruise line sells you transportation anywhere along the line the ship will wait for you even if you're late. We were departing Miami on an RCCL ship (Can't remember which one...Navigator, maybe?) and two passengers flying in from somewhere on the east coast on a flight arranged by RCCL were delayed because of weather. The ship waited nearly two hours in port for them. They finally showed up, leaving port at about 7 PM rather than 5 PM.
Agree with the tour statement. No sympathy from me either. And on another note, the ships pay port fees for a designated time, thus determine the time to deport. So if a passenger is late, there may/could be a substantial penalty for not leaving on time.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:34 AM

Allowing an exception starts a precedent. Something to consider.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:43 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footer View Post
I'm a platinum Latitudes member but will start cruising on Royal Caribbean instead of NCL from now on because personally I think it was a bad decision. And next time I am contacted by sales I will let them know.
We have been on Royal Caribbean cruises where we waved to people on the pier because they arrived after the ship had started out.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:45 AM

NO — move on! Norwegian was spot on leaving passengers behind who were over 1 hour late. If NCL conceded, a precedent would be set & all entitled passengers would expect ships to wait for them. I’ve seen pier runners — those minutes late to board, chasing the ship as it sails out of port — and only once did a Captain stop, dropping a tender to get them. Bottom line — be on time! Pay for the cruise offered tours. Yes, sometimes pricey but missing a ship is VERY costly.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
We have been on Royal Caribbean cruises where we waved to people on the pier because they arrived after the ship had started out.
I'd probably do that too....if I was a teenager!
Old 04-04-2024, 07:51 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,561 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
All cruise ships will leave you. They wait for nobody. That’s why you always book your excursions through the ship. IF they had booked through the ship, the ship would have to wait. They booked independently and weren’t back on time. Cruise ships leave people all the time.
They know the rules and time to return. If they want to be one of the “entitled” who expect the ship to wait well………that’s a lesson learned very quickly.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPWM21 View Post
Having been the president of a cruise line I will tell you that leaving on time from a port - any port - is critical. If a ship leaves late, there can be extra port taxes, extra expenses for the port crew - (sometimes at overtime rates) - extra fuel if the ship has to sail faster to it's next port, etc.

If it's a busy port you can lose your slot and have to wait until other ships leave the port.

And I might add shops and gambling cannot start until the legal limit is reached.
It throws the whole schedule off

And don't pull the greed crap on me. Running a cruise ship is like any business. It is about keeping to budgeted expenses.

How long should a ship wait? 15 minutes, 1 half hour, an hour, 1/2 hours, 2 hours?
The only one on the ship with this authority is the captain. And frankly his job is to make sure the ship runs smoothly and stick to the schedule.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPWM21 View Post
True
This statement could/should be used on other active threads on TOTV!

Tags
cruise, ship, leaves, passengers, stranded

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.