Cruise ship leaves passengers stranded on African island

Old 04-04-2024, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My question would be, why would people pay money to go to Africa?
Guess you haven’t been there! You have no idea what you’re missing! Wild life parks are unbelievable!
Old 04-04-2024, 08:28 AM
Gold member

A passage attributed to Abraham Lincoln (or Mark Twain) comes to mind on occasion here..." Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Old 04-04-2024, 08:29 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,217 Times in 768 Posts

We are all adults, and i'm sure they had a smart phone with a clock on it. Why does everybody want to bend the rules ?
Old 04-04-2024, 08:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I have often wondered about the legality of this. The ship's tour is usually double the cost of doing the exact same tour privately, so they're making a huge profit. By scaremongering ahead of time (at the port presentation they always mention leaving private tours behind) they are coercing a lot of passengers into paying double. Without that leverage they would sell a lot fewer tours.

We avoid ship's tours because getting 50 old people off and on the bus takes considerably longer than getting eight on and off a minibus. Plus, with fifty people there are always a few that get back late and delay the tour even further, resulting in less time spent at the attractions.

We have never had a problem getting back to the ship on time as the third party tour companies know that their survival depends on maintaining a good track record.
What if the bus breaks down or God forbid there’s an accident or medical emergency?
Old 04-04-2024, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,680 Times in 3,171 Posts

Quote:
My question would be, why would people pay money to go to Africa?
I'd wonder why anyone would ask such a question?
Old 04-04-2024, 08:54 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
See post #49
Old 04-04-2024, 08:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
They were an hour late.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:55 AM
Gold member

Quote:
My bad...post #47
Old 04-04-2024, 10:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,147 Times in 573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
They were an hour late.
Brilliant response.

The following inferences are now apparent:

An hour late is only determined after the departure had actually happened. The captain would never know exactly how late they would be whether it was 10 minutes or 10 years.

Also, if the ship had waited, they would be an hour late to their next “scheduled” port.

Inconvenience thousands and drive up costs, or charge the late arrivals their own penance for poor time management or unforeseen circumstance?

Why should thousands be late for a few? What about scheduled appointments, flights , departures for those working on being punctual?

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Normal; 04-04-2024 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-04-2024, 10:22 AM
Veteran member

The important issue here that nobody is looking at is this:
When this group of people were "no shows" at departure time, the captain had their passports delivered ashore to the authorities. If he had allowed them to board well after the scheduled departure time, they would have proceeded to their next destination without their passports. And withour their documents, how would they be allowed to get home?
Old 04-04-2024, 10:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Brilliant response.

The following inferences are now apparent:

An hour late is only determined after the departure had actually happened. The captain would never know exactly how late they would be whether it was 10 minutes or 10 years.

Also, if the ship had waited, they would be an hour late to their next “scheduled” port.

Inconvenience thousands and drive up costs, or charge the late arrivals their own penance for poor time management or unforeseen circumstance?

Why should thousands be late for a few? What about scheduled appointments, flights , departures for those working on being punctual?
The point being that they were not just a few minutes late. Late is determined by the scheduled departure time. It was not even close. If the captain delays departure, how long should he wait? Any grace time allowed will only be abused.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,920 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote:
My main concern would be safety. I just read a story about a women who was killed by an elephant in Africa this week. There have also been kidnappings. I once went to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico and the bus ride from the airport to the hotel was on a winding ocean road with no guardrail. The tires on the bus had no tread. The beach had signs to stay off the beach at night because of muggers. Every time I have travelled outside the U.S., I have experienced substandard facilities and unsafe conditions, and I was always happy to get home. And, I don't trust cruise lines to be transparent about safety issues. I plan to stay in this country.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
My main concern would be safety. I just read a story about a women who was killed by an elephant in Africa this week. There have also been kidnappings. I once went to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico and the bus ride from the airport to the hotel was on a winding ocean road with no guardrail. The tires on the bus had no tread. The beach had signs to stay off the beach at night because of muggers. Every time I have travelled outside the U.S., I have experienced substandard facilities and unsafe conditions, and I was always happy to get home. And, I don't trust cruise lines to be transparent about safety issues. I plan to stay in this country.
Ok...but you just named several other countries in different continents in this response. Your original comment was about one. If this one is your point, you might not want to go to Orlando, NYC or other US destinations either....crime is going on in those places as well and across the nation daily. Nobody questioned your choice to restrict your travels to TV proper so I don’t see the need for you to ask why others would want to do otherwise
Old 04-04-2024, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,920 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Ok...but you just named several other countries in different continents in this response. Your original comment was about one. If this one is your point, you might not want to go to Orlando, NYC or other US destinations either....crime is going on in those places as well and across the nation daily. Nobody questioned your choice to restrict your travels to TV proper so I don’t see the need for you to ask why others would want to do otherwise
I would not travel to high crime areas in the U.S. either. I didn't intend to create any controversy with my initial question.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,770 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
I would not travel to high crime areas in the U.S. either. I didn't intend to create any controversy with my initial question.
Kinda seemed like it.

Tags
cruise, ship, leaves, passengers, stranded

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.