Cruise ship leaves passengers stranded on African island

Old 04-04-2024, 08:29 PM

I've seen many a time that all excursions are sold out a month before the sailing. Only looked cause the offering price included $50 credit for any ship excursion. But none available.
So do the cruise lines make enough available to passengers or do many travelers have to go outside of what isn't there from a ship desk?
Old 04-05-2024, 05:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepsake View Post
I've seen many a time that all excursions are sold out a month before the sailing. Only looked cause the offering price included $50 credit for any ship excursion. But none available.
So do the cruise lines make enough available to passengers or do many travelers have to go outside of what isn't there from a ship desk?
They sell out online because they’re refundable up to 24 or 48 hours before the date of the excursion. They have waitlist and if nobody cancels and the wait list is full too, they’ll usually hire another bus to fill. They also cost about 30% more for the exact same excursion you could book on your own BUT and it’s a big one, if you book with them and your late, they’ll wait because it’s on them and it’s a bus full of people. This particular port was a tender port. They weren’t even close to the time of last tender. I would never book an independent excursion where I’m traveling more than 30 minutes. If I can’t get an Uber back to the ship, I’m paying the extra and going with the cruise excursion. People get left all the time. These particular people weren’t even close to the time.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,362 Times in 621 Posts

I have never seen an explanation of what actually happened. None of the articles state why they were late.

It appears that it happened on the island of Principe. That is a very small island. It is about 10 miles north to south and about 6 miles wide. I assume the roads are not great but if you can drive 10 mph, it shouldn’t take more than an 2 hours to go anywhere on the island. Using google maps, it appears that there are few roads but that most places are much less than an hour away from the main port.

Did the tour van have a flat tire or did they linger over lunch?
What time were they supposed to be back according to the ship?
Did they call the ship?
What time was the tour supposed to be back?
What time was the ship supposed to sail?
What time did it sail?

I saw that they have rejoined the cruise. I bet they will never be late again for a cruise!

Although most people agree with the ship’s decision, for those that don’t, do you feel that airlines and Amtrak should also wait for passengers?
Old 04-05-2024, 07:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I have never seen an explanation of what actually happened. None of the articles state why they were late.

It appears that it happened on the island of Principe. That is a very small island. It is about 10 miles north to south and about 6 miles wide. I assume the roads are not great but if you can drive 10 mph, it shouldn’t take more than an 2 hours to go anywhere on the island. Using google maps, it appears that there are few roads but that most places are much less than an hour away from the main port.

Did they call the ship?
What time did it sail?

I saw that they have rejoined the cruise. I bet they will never be late again for a cruise!

Although most people agree with the ship’s decision, for those that don’t, do you feel that airlines and Amtrak should also wait for passengers?
I saw a girl who was on the ship post a video. She said the last tender was 3pm. Not only did the last tender full of guests get back to the ship, they realized the 8 passengers weren’t on board and sent a tender boat back to shore with their passports. Then the tender boat was loaded back on the ship, which was already in preparation to sail when they finally showed up. Also, it doesn’t matter. Book through the cruise line and pay the extra money, it’s called insurance.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:13 AM
Gold member

Quote:

Did they call the ship?
What time did it sail?

Different beast.....if you haven't noticed in recent years, the airlines, not all....dont give a s*it!
Old 04-05-2024, 08:50 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
I saw a girl who was on the ship post a video.
Do you have the link?
Old 04-05-2024, 09:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Do you have the link?
It’s on TikTok so not sure if you need an account or not but here’s a clip. TikTok - Make Your Day
Old 04-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,068 Times in 1,771 Posts

I would reword the title to “Passengers left themselves stranded on an African Island”. The ship, in my opinion, is a transportation vehicle, not a baby-sitter.

They charge extra for their own excursions, partly because they include a warranty to wait for you. People who book their own are not paying for this “extra” warranty but somehow expect it.

Last edited by Velvet; 04-05-2024 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:34 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I would reword the title to “Passengers left themselves stranded on an African Island”. The ship, in my opinion, is a transportation vehicle, not a baby-sitter.

They charge extra for their own excursions, partly because they include a warranty to wait for you. People who book their own are not paying for this “extra” warranty but somehow expect it.
Hmmm....so the Fram oil filter people were on to something ...
Pay me now or pay me later!
Old 04-05-2024, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,336 Times in 874 Posts

Quote:
As I understand it the cruise ship delayed departure for one hour. The 8 people did not have their passports with them so the crew gave them to the shore person that would help them catch up to the ship. Ships usually sail at high tide which varies by port. We have also used both private and cruise ship tours and have never had a problem with either. We select private tours through the recommendations on Cruise Critic or an international tour company. Normany in 2025 and related places

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-05-2024, 11:50 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
It’s on TikTok so not sure if you need an account or not but here’s a clip. TikTok - Make Your Day
I don’t have a TikTok account but I was able to see the video. Thanks for posting!
Old 04-05-2024, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post

Bingo!
Old 04-06-2024, 08:50 AM

Getting left behind has its challenges no doubt. On a typical Caribbean cruise out of the U.S. for instance, chances are the ship is heading for another port on another island, likely a different country. You may not have your passport with you, if you brought one at all, since they are not required for Caribbean cruises. Trying to join another cruise ship going back to the U.S. port you departed from is not normally an option since they are closed loop cruises. Most likely you are flying back on your own dime, probably coordinating with the U.S. consulate to overcome any document deficiencies. Not fun or cheap I imagine.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My question would be, why would people pay money to go to Africa?
other than going to see the animals, there's not much for me, unless of course my vehicle is overturned by an angry elephant. i would need a selfie with him in that case,
Old 04-06-2024, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My main concern would be safety. I just read a story about a women who was killed by an elephant in Africa this week. There have also been kidnappings. I once went to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico and the bus ride from the airport to the hotel was on a winding ocean road with no guardrail. The tires on the bus had no tread. The beach had signs to stay off the beach at night because of muggers. Every time I have travelled outside the U.S., I have experienced substandard facilities and unsafe conditions, and I was always happy to get home. And, I don't trust cruise lines to be transparent about safety issues. I plan to stay in this country.
Dittos here. not until i left the US did i appreciate all we have, & couldn't wait to get back home

Tags
cruise, ship, leaves, passengers, stranded

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.