Day Trip to the Beach

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2011, 07:14 AM
Gold member

If going to a Gulf Beach for a day I prefer Fred Howard Park in Tarpon Springs on the Gulf. It is easy to get to without hitting alot of large city traffic. It is not easy to find so you will need good directions using a google map or GPS. Where it is located you go through some neighborhoods in Tarpon Springs.

There are no hotels, Condos, or homes and usually not crowded. The beach is located out in the Gulf about a mile on an island and you drive there via a causway. The beach is very nice. This is a hidden gem in my opiniion. If you go there you will go back. Fred Howard Beach is 90 miles from Wildwood of which 53 miles is on I-75.

Link below.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/06_Howard.htm
Old 05-18-2011, 07:18 AM
Platinum member

Next to the Greek restaurant is the Bistro DeLeon which I love. Excellent food, service, and presentation. Nice ambiance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the Southbeach Grill........" the wife" ...( aka sweetest baby girl )...just loves waterfront dining. OMG, I just discovered that I'm a food freak. You name a town and all I thnk about is the good food in the town. I think that I may need some professional help. St. Augustine + Greek food = ATHENA restaurant. Located at 14 Cathedral Pl 32084. When (if) you cross the Bridge of Lions toward the "old town" just stay straight and you are on Cathedral. Not much for size or looks.....but....the real good "authentic" Greek food... AND... you can even get scrambled eggs for grandkids at night. It is just a couple of doors down from "the Cathedral Basilica" and across from the park where the "ghost tour" starts at "sunset". Do not forget to go kitty-corner across the street and take the eco tour....or the river front home tour from the marina. I am a sick-sick puppy. gotta go----I can see the frig from here...........
Old 05-26-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
If you do elect to go to New Smyrna Beach and are in the mood for a really great burger, make sure you stop at The Breakers. Smack dab on the beach:

http://www.thebreakersnsb.com/

Bill
Went to New Smyrna Beach today for the first time and just happened to stumble into The Breakers...OMG...what great burgers and delicious potato salad!! And right on the beach so you can enjoy watching the ocean as you eat Great family beach...thought the cars parking on the beach would be a problem, but there's more than enough room for people and cars. Great shops too on Flagler Ave.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Sage

See? I wouldn't steer you wrong!!

Glad you enjoyed it - - -

Bill
Old 08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tpw View Post
Gee, this is a great thread - got me in the mood I'll tell you. Had planned to do Treasure Island on St Pete Beach next week, but wife's recuperation from hospital stay put that on hold. Last time we were there she was strolling the beach, as big and pregnant as a whale - summer 1962. Spoke with a lady at the travel-spo last week from the adjoining hotel we stayed at then, The Thunderbird, so we'd planned to do one of those. The mention above of Courtney Campbell Causeway brought back memories of weekend visits there when we were at MacDill AFB and that was all we could afford. Things change.... Busch Gardens was free thern.... consisted of a few dozen parrots, some palm trees and a free beer at the brewery...... Times do change.....

Thanks again for the thread, I made notes....
That's funny..you brought back some memories too..I stayed at the Thunderbird once..had fun. We usually rented a condo in Madiera Beach, right across the street from John's Pass...the kids loved it. There is public parking there to allow access to the beach if you're not staying in a condo. I can't wait to move to TV so we can spend time exploring all Florida has to offer. Take care!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.