Daytona or Clearwater Beach?

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Arrow Daytona or Clearwater Beach?

We have two nights in May prior to our visit to TV to explore the surrounding area. Just one of our many reasons for loving TV is it's close proximity to the beaches but we haven't seen any yet! So before we "take the plunge" and move, we want to see a beach!

We'll be coming from Miami (post cruise) so which one do you recommend us to visit? Any resort in particular? Any preferred route to take from Miami? Thanks for your response.

Trudy
Old 03-20-2010, 10:31 PM

Just shoot up 95 from Miami and stay anywhere from the port to Coco Beach. You can bring the toll road all the way from Coco Beach to the Villages. I like to use Price Line, you have a big area to search for a nice place. The month of May should be very reasonable.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Veteran member

I also think Cocoa Beach would be the most practical use of the two night stay you have available, in maximizing your beach time. If you are with RCI, Discovery Beach Resort is a wonderful resort there that we have stayed at, and I think RCI has others. I know that there also also some nice hotels there. Cocoa Beach is fun, has the huge 24/7 Ron Jon's Surf Shop and other fun beach stores; and make sure to visit the Port area; great seafood restaurants there. There is also a pier out into the ocean that has a fun restaurant and shops that make a convenient oasis while you are on the beach walking or sunning.

If you don't mind going further north to Daytona Beach, that is actually my favorite beach on the Atlantic side, but wit a two night stay you may be better off stopping at Cocoa so that you have less time on the road and more time for the beach before heading over to TV.

Driving along the ocean road for parts of the trip will be beautiful scenery; however, you may want to take the I-95 to get there faster; either way you will love the time spent!

As I write this I am flying tomorrow to Kentucky for kids and business, and part of me is wishing I were headed to the beach instead for a few days!

Ah, Florida!
Old 03-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

For us the nicest, whitest, powder beaches are on the west coast. Marco Island is just about 90 minutes from Miami, Ft Myers/Sanibel just 2 hours, Sarasota/Siesta key is 4 hours and is a great beach. Clearwater is a nice beach too.
There is a distinct difference between the beaches on the Atlantic side and the Gulf side so it depends on what type of beach you want to see. The surf is different. The sand is different. The East coast get a beautiful sunrise The West coast gets a beautiful sunset. Life is a beach so enjoy.
From Miami we liket to take The Tamiami Trail to Marco much less traffic and more senic than alligator alley.
when you get to the West Coast if your going to go farther North take I75.

Last edited by OpusX1; 03-21-2010 at 07:46 AM. Reason: add directions
Old 03-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Gold member
Default best beaches

We like Siesta Key and Anna Maria Island on the west coast, New Smyrna Beach on the east coast. Check out Tripadvisor.com for more beach discussions - look under the forums. You can ask questions if you join (free)
Old 03-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Thumbs up st. pete beach

I love St. Pete Beach. Not too many young kids and the gulf is much calmer than the Atlantic. You can ride your car on some of the beaches on the Atlantic side. I would rather keep the cars on the roads and the nature on the beach. I have gone down to St. Pete Beach for over 30 years and keep going back!
Old 03-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Veteran member

I would always say the Gulf Coast for the beach. The tides are not so high, the water is warmer, and I have never seen a riptide here!! Plus, lots of Dolphins
Old 03-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Thumbs up Thanks Everyone!

My initial idea was to check out the day trip beaches...Clearwater or Daytona to see what'll be closest to TV but with all the other suggestions given here, I'm rethinking that idea.

I've always wanted to visit Sanibel and Marco Island...so this may be a good time for us to do that. I'm also liking the recommendation of St. Pete! I'll browse Trip Advisor for more info on resorts so thanks for directing me there.

BTW...Freeda, safe travels today to Kentucky. I enjoyed your detailed post about Daytona Beach in the thread "Best Beaches 2hrs. away". If we don't get there this time, we'll definately make it a point to go there next time! And of course, Cocoa Beach when we can view a shuttle launch!

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I gotta get busy and make some reservations somewhere!

Trudy
Old 03-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Veteran member

I agree that the gulf side has the most beautiful beaches. My answer was based more on the amount of time you have, since it is more driving to cross over to the west from Miami and then move up the gulf side than to just move up the Atlantic side, where you'll already be; so since you only have two nights, I was recommending the Atlantic side, to give you more time to actually see beaches versus being on the road.

My favorite beaches of all, though, are those white powder sand beaches on the gulf side - Siesta Key, St. Pete, Clearwater, and further south; a fabulous area; but alot of driving to do in two night stay leaving from Miami; but if you don't mind that and will enjoy the sightseeing along the drive, it's the best beaches.

But on the Atlantic side, I think Daytona, New Smyrna, and Cocoa all are great beaches in that area of the state.

Bottom line, is, either way you'll be thrilled! It's wonderful when there is a choice to be made and either choice will lead to joy.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Thumbs up

Just wanted to followup and thank everyone for their suggestions. We ended up visiting Daytona and New Smyrna beach before our visit to TV. You would have thought it was our first time seeing a beach! Well, it was our first time seeing a beach with slow moving traffic on it! Water was beautiful and just a fun place to hang out! Next time we'll get over to the Gulf side and check out Clearwater, St. Pete, Anna Maria Island and others suggested. Can't wait to make a move to TV...one day soon I hope!

Trudy
Old 05-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Eternal Member

I always preferred the east coast to the gulf coast . Maybe I am biased because I was raised in Jacksonville. I visited the gulf coast a couple of times and was not impressed. Better waves on the east coast.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.