Drivers license

Closed Thread
Old 11-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Platinum member
Default Identity problems

In Dec. 09, I changed my address online as directed by the DMV. Now, I find out that my license is not valid because there was no photo of me on record. No one told me until the other day when we titled a vehicle. So, now to change my address on a Florida license.

Today, I was told my birth certificate was not the right one. It is certified from the hospital, but they want the county one. I can't get a copy of my birth certificate from the county because the DMV gave me a temporary driver's license. I need a valid drivers license or passport, to get my birth certificate. You can't get one without the other. Or something like that. I can't get my driver's license without my birth certificate and I can't get a birth certificate without my driver's license or valid passport and can't get that--oh well.

And, my marriage license. I have the original marriage certificate signed at the church, but they want the one from the county. It was 34 years ago, and I don't know what county we applied to for the license-just where we were married, but that doesn't count. So, will have to check "likely" counties.

It may be a good thing that we live in a golf cart community, because my temporary license is only good for two months.

My husband did not need all this because he was born before a certain date as far as the birth certificate and didn't change his name so no marriage license needed. He received his new license first try.

Really, not much rattles me, but this has. Really!

Last edited by starflyte1; 11-02-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
In Dec. 09, I changed my address online as directed by the DMV. Now, I find out that my license is not valid because there was no photo of me on record. No one told me until the other day when we titled a vehicle. So, now to change my address on a Florida license.

Today, I was told my birth certificate was not the right one. It is certified from the hospital, but they want the county one. I can't get a copy of my birth certificate from the county because the DMV gave me a temporary driver's license. I need a valid drivers license or passport, to get my birth certificate. You can't get one without the other. Or something like that. I can't get my driver's license without my birth certificate and I can't get a birth certificate without my driver's license or valid passport and can't get that--oh well.

And, my marriage license. I have the original marriage certificate signed at the church, but they want the one from the county. It was 34 years ago, and I don't know what county we applied to for the license-just where we were married, but that doesn't count. So, will have to check "likely" counties.

It may be a good thing that we live in a golf cart community, because my temporary license is only good for two months.

My husband did not need all this because he was born before a certain date as far as the birth certificate and didn't change his name so no marriage license needed. He received his new license first try.

Really, not much rattles me, but this has. Really!
You marriage license would be filed by the minister, priest, justice of the peace or whoever married you. Most likely the person who married you would file it in the county where the marriage took place. That is where I'd start.

What I mean is, it doesn't matter where you obtained the marriage license. It is filed by the person who married you.

Some states retain your vital records. Some, and most, counties retain the records. That would include birth certificates, marriage licenses, divorce decrees, birth and death records.

You are a perfect example of someone put in a difficult position because of the Homeland Security regulations regarding driver's licenses.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Default drivers liscense

just curious
we go to villages 3 to 4 months a year
and last year got a ticket from driving on oregon liscense
there by lady lake police
got florida liscense
but now i find somehow my oregon liscense is not valid
i had 2
didnt even tell fla i had a oregon liscense
and to get a new oregon liscense have to take complete test
even driving and turn in my fla liscense again
so this winter ill be up a creek in fla
thats the pits
Old 11-06-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna View Post
just curious
we go to villages 3 to 4 months a year
and last year got a ticket from driving on oregon liscense
there by lady lake police
got florida liscense
but now i find somehow my oregon liscense is not valid
i had 2
didnt even tell fla i had a oregon liscense
and to get a new oregon liscense have to take complete test
even driving and turn in my fla liscense again
so this winter ill be up a creek in fla
thats the pits
That's interesting. I thought if you were in the state of Florida for less than 6 months out of the year that you weren't a full time resident so why would you get a ticket? If you're not a resident of the state you wouldn't have a lisence for it, right?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Veteran member

I took my passport and social security card in addition to my auto registration. IN and out within 15 minutes. (Belleview)
Old 11-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

why do u need all of this documentation just to renew a valid DL....gn
Old 11-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Sage

Think it is because of the new federal security rules.

My wife just renewed her CA DL and just mailed in the renewal fee - maybe the new federal rules haven't got this far west yet?

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)

Last edited by chuckinca; 11-07-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Platinum member

Gator Fan, are you a man or woman? Women have to have a marriage license because of their name change.

A passport will work instead of a valid driver's license, but my driver's license is now on "temporary" status and my passport has expired. My husband and I plan on getting valid passports once I have this straightened out.

I am waiting for our marriage certificate to come from St. Louis. I now have proof of marriage from the church and the state, but they want the county one, from where it was filed, not where we were married.

As for the birth certificate, I have sent all the information I have to Indiana and am waiting to see if it is enough.

As I said before, my husband was able to get his license in one visit because he did not have a name change and he was born before a certain year and did not need a passport or birth certificate.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Platinum member

Joanna, I understand that your driver's license and car registration must have the save address. Were you driving a rental? If your car is yours and registered in Oregon I would certainly ask about the ticket.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Veteran member

I am a woman. Was told in Belleview that the passport is the best ID you can have. They did change my name on my drivers license to my first name, middle name (in past was my maiden name) and last name (married name) because my passport name is that way.

For the record, Belleview does everything. Registrations and Drivers License. The Villages does not have an office that does both. I not only renewed my license but my registration also. Took me total of 20 minutes from the time I walked in door till I walked out. I was there at 8:00 and was 3rd in line.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Platinum member

Thanks, Gator Fan. I have been going to the Lady Lake office, on South 441.
The people in that office also say that the it is best if you have a passport.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
I am a woman. Was told in Belleview that the passport is the best ID you can have. They did change my name on my drivers license to my first name, middle name (in past was my maiden name) and last name (married name) because my passport name is that way.
When my wife applied for a passport 4 years ago she used First Name, Middle Name and Married Last Name.

They sent the application back and required that it be resubmitted to match her drivers license - First Name, Middle Name, former Married Last Name, current Married Last Name.

Can't expect the govt to be consistent.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.