Elderhostel

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Elderhostel

Does anyone have any experience with Elderhostel trips or classes?

I have a friend who makes fun of me for talking about it because of the name. How silly is that? He needs to get over himself. -- although that name is not the best marketing tool for snaring boomers.

I know people who will not read AARP magazine because subscribers are supposed to be 50. 50? Ah, to be 50 again and know what I know now.

Thanks.

Boomer
Old 06-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Elderhostel

BBB - Elderhostel has changed over the years. Many people agree with your friend about the choice of the word parts "elder" and "hostel."

Originally Elderhostel catered to people who were not looking for an elegant trip, who were willing to stay in college dorms or other places that were not 5 star. Then and to this day they attract people who usually travel, are college educated, are aware of events in the world, and who want to meet with local people whereever they go.

There is also an educational component to Elderhostel. Besides learning about the place(s) you are going, you will learn about the problems they may be experiencing, visit local schools, visit a university and the list goes on. Elderhostel focuses on educating you, the tourist/visitor; in fact, they make a point that you are seen not as a tourist but as a student.

When you look at their brochure you will notice that they offer classes in many different areas: science, music, history, arts, birding, theater, and so forth. They also offer camping trips, kayaking trips, golf, and much more. They offer cruises, international tours, intergenerational programs, and the list goes on. I do not know if they still offer it, but they used to have adult camps similar to the ones you went to as a kid.

Since their inception they have become more and more expensive. This is due in part--at least I think so--to the wishes of the Elderhostel guests. They wanted to stay in places that offered more amenities, private rooms with private baths, and to go on more luxurious vacations. Remember Elderhostel started before the baby boomer generation, when people had less to spend on vacation. With the coming of the age of baby boomers who have more disposable income, the nature of the offerings changed to meet what the baby boomers wanted.

They still offer both types of venues--local to international. Some trips are less expensive than others and offer fewer amenities.

Elderhostel has maintained a very strong following to this day.

Would I recommend Elderhostel: Yes.

But as with all tour companies, please check into not only what they have to offer but evaluate how they do things, how many will be in the group, etc.

Hope this brief synopsis helps you.

HB
Old 06-05-2008, 10:50 PM

Boomer,

We've done two Elderhostel programs in the US and one in Spain. We enjoyed the ones in the US, but the accommodations were spartan. Dorm like rooms.

The trip to Spain was wonderful! We went from Barcelona to Seville to Malaga and then to the Canary Islands. The hotels on that trip were fine.

In the United States, classes and trips were scheduled during the day. On the trip to Spain, classes were held at night and the day was for touring. Our tour director was terrific.

We met some wonderful people on that trip - some of whom we are still in touch with and have visited in their homes.

Since then, however, we prefer to go with Grand Circle. They are incorporating more "education" into their trips. We feel we get more "bang for our buck" with them.
New Jersey
Old 06-06-2008, 02:33 AM
Soaring Parsley

I really like the idea of the learning component. I have looked at their website and see that there are some pretty interesting things offered. I have always wondered why it is considered a non-profit, a .org.

It is so nice to be able to hear personal experiences and not just look at websites.

Thank you.

Boomer
Old 06-06-2008, 02:45 AM
Gold member

Hi BBB,

We have gone on numerous Elderhostel Trips. Sometimes we have gone with friends and at other times just the two of us.

We have never had a bad time, people we travelled with were always quite interesting. We have life time friends from the various people we have met. From them I also learned about other trips they felt were very good. We have travelled in the Unites States and abroad with Elderhostel.

The only time I was glad we did not go on one of there tours was to China. We did not go on there tour because it did not go where I wanted to go. At one of the places we visited there was an Elderhostel group and the group we were on. We were a group of 12 they were a group of around 46. One of the complaints we heard was how long it took to get 46 people on and off the bus, stragglers, and they felt that they did not have the flexibility our small group had.

The tour we took was also less expensive and went to more places.

That is the only time I have ever heard a negative comment on one of there tours.

HB
Old 06-06-2008, 03:12 AM
Soaring Parsley

HB,

I am starting to think I am onto a couple of good things. Both Elderhostel and Tauck. It will probably not happen until '09 though. Too much going on here right now.

There is one more thing that I have thought about.

Many, many years ago I spent a week on the Delta Queen. I don't even think it is in business anymore. I have done a short trip on the Mississippi Queen. I love riverboats. I really like the informality and that whole Mark Twain thing in the atmosphere I guess.

Boomer
Old 06-07-2008, 12:06 AM

Boomer,

There are lots of riverboat cruises in Europe, too. Haven't gone on one yet, but anyone who's been on one loves them.

Jan
New Jersey
Old 06-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Gold member

Hi Jan, I am in the process of writing my log on my first river cruise. I was in France and had a fantastic time. I am already looking into going on another river cruise.

This was an educational tour for me - or a better way to put it - a learning experience. I saw other river boats and was able to evaluate the boat I was on compared to others. To answer a question you may be wondering, yes, I do pay my way.

I have sailed on a ship with over two thousand people to a small ship of 614 people and now on the first boat where there were about 120 people.

River cruises though are not for everyone. It is a totally different experience in many ways.

If you have any specific questions please post them and I will respond.

HB
Old 06-17-2008, 01:57 PM

Our friends have been on several river cruises which they enjoyed very much. On one of them, though, there was a group who were very loud and kind of rude. With such a small number of passengers, that could be a put off.
New Jersey
Old 06-17-2008, 11:47 PM
Gold member

njgranny - that is very true what you said. There is no way of knowing what your fellow travellers will be like. We have travelled with four other people and had a wonderful time.

We have gone on tours where everyone was very congenial except for one person. When you sit in a tour bus or go somewhere as a group, it can be hard to get away from that person or ignore them.

HB
Old 06-19-2008, 03:57 AM
Veteran member

I was on two Elderhostel trips although it was about 8-10 years ago. Went to upstate New York and New Orleans. One of the things I enjoyed most about it was your meals were all planned. No decisions of where to go or what to do turned our experience into a very relaxing time. Having the informative lectures was wonderful since they used very qualified speakers. Top notch , but getting pricey.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:06 AM
Gold member

The unique thing about international Elderhostel programs, simply put, is that participants are considered students and not tourists. For example, when we were on an Elderhostel safari program in Kenya, for the duration we were affiliated with Edgerton University. For the time we were close to the campus in Njoro, we actually went there for classes; elsewhere, the teachers came to us and there were lectures each evening. Marvelous! (And yes, unfortunately getting pricier of late....)
Old 07-16-2008, 03:34 AM
Gold member

Sid, that has been my experience also. We are students and not tourist.

HB
Old 09-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Veteran member

My wife and I did a one week Elderhostel Whale watching / Lobster Fishing class/trip conducted on the coast of Maine about 3 years ago. We learned about the Atlantic Seacoast and the ecosystem. It was hosted by a U of Maine professor and a couple other knowledgeable school officials and it was very educational. We had 21 in the class, and we stayed in the college dorm rooms and ate in the school cafeteria and local restaurants. We had to travel way off shore to find the whales and we saw heard lots of them. We went out in the local bay with a actual working lobster fisherman and actually pulled,emptied and re-baited traps. Threw the "shorts" back into the ocean and placed elastics over the keeper's claws. They are "feisty-buggers" It was a great time and well worth the cost. But boy is that water cold!!!
Viet Nam
CT
TV
Old 09-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Default Elderhostel

We just got back from an Elderhostel trip to China.(only 24 on the tour)First Class all the way.We were treated like family by our Chinese hosts.We have traveled with Elderhostel many times and are scheduled on a five day tour of the DC monuments next month.We are very pleased with everything they have done so far.After the DC tour on to the Villages for our ninth year,life is good.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.