First flight out of MCO

Old 02-12-2024, 08:05 PM
Default First flight out of MCO

Hello all... We're new to TV and we'll be flying out of Orlando for a quick trip.

How soon before the flight should we actually plan to arrive at the airport to be "on time", taking into account walking time, security queue, etc.?

Flight is on a Saturday mid-morning. Tickets are already purchased and will check in on-line. No luggage, just a personal item to carry on.

We're using Spirit airlines (first time for this too).

Trying to calculate which Groome shuttle to book (express vs. home pickup and what time). We're near Dabney so we should be the last ones picked up before they get onto the turnpike.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
Hello all... We're new to TV and we'll be flying out of Orlando for a quick trip.

How soon before the flight should we actually plan to arrive at the airport to be "on time", taking into account walking time, security queue, etc.?

Flight is on a Saturday mid-morning. Tickets are already purchased and will check in on-line. No luggage, just a personal item to carry on.

Trying to calculate which Groome shuttle to book (express vs. home pickup and what time). We're near Dabney so we should be the last ones picked up before they get onto the turnpike.
Assuming this is a domestic flight. I don't think Spirit does international but I never checked. Anyway, we figure 2 hours for a domestic flight. It's similar to other big city airports in terms of time needed. You won't have to park a car which will save some time. Bon Voyage!
Old 02-12-2024, 08:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Need to add an extra 30-60 min for Turnpike construction shutdowns, they are frequent.

Clear is useful in MCO to avoid the herds of families visiting local attractions clogging up security.

Tampa is a good alternative to MCO, 10 min longer drive but much easier airport to navigate.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:57 PM

When you make a reservation for home pick-up online, Groome gives you three options for a pick-up time. I have always picked the first one (I live north of you) and it has always worked out fine. Security is a crap shoot. It has taken me as little as 15 minutes up to 75 minutes.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,320 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:

You want to be at the airport at least two hours before departure. That way, if there are delays on the Turnpike (major problems today) you have some flexibility. The Turnpike is usually great but I have been stopped for 90 minutes. At least I wasn’t trying to catch a flight.

Airports are horrible places to wait for a flight but they are even worse if you miss your flight!

Good luck with spirit!
Old 02-12-2024, 10:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

Biggest thing to think about is whether you have TSA pre or global entry. 30-40 minutes extra for non TSA pre. Long lines at MCO. Also, if you use curb side porters can make a huge difference. Driving from Spanish Springs to airport we have been able to get to gate(including parking) in as little as 2 1/2 hours.

Not a lot of walking in Orlando airport. They do have monorails going to the terminals.
Old 02-13-2024, 05:13 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Get a Room near the Orlando Airport the night before! If your shuttle forgets you or the Turnpike is jacked up, you may miss your Flight! Many Hotels will let you park there, and take you to the airport...
Old 02-13-2024, 05:21 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post

Not a lot of walking in Orlando airport. They do have monorails going to the terminals.

You've obviously not experienced Terminal C.

$2.8 BILLION dollar construction job that recently opened and the entire building has to be redesigned, because the airport CEO and Airport Authority are ego-maniacs and went for bling and not practicality. Your walk in Terminal C can be over 1/2 mile.

Last edited by BrianL99; 02-13-2024 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-13-2024, 06:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Security can be a bear at MCO. In my experience a wait of 1/2 hour to 45 minutes is to be expected. It can be more, so allow for that. I'd much rather wait in a (relatively) comfortable seat at the gate than stuck in a security line wondering if the flight will take off without me.

Last edited by ThirdOfFive; 02-13-2024 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:35 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Security can be a bear at MCO. In my experience a wait of 1/2 hour to 45 minutes is to be expected. It can be more, so allow for that. I'd much rather wait in a (relatively) comfortable seat at the gait than stuck in a security line wondering if the flight will take off without me.

The wait line to get into the Lounges at Orlando, can be 1/2 an hour, so that's not much help either.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,973 Times in 755 Posts

It's general suggested knowledge for years to arrive at airport 2hours b4 flight departure
Old 02-13-2024, 08:07 AM

Quote:

2 things I would check:
1. If it's a quick trip, you might be able to find long-term parking cheaper. I use to fly out of Detroit using off airport parking with a great shuttle service.
2. Uber could be cheaper if more then one person
Old 02-13-2024, 09:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

1 hr for travel, and 2 for TSA= 3 hours.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:28 AM

As mentioned earlier; TSA pre-check is invaluable for MCO. Highly recommended. It has taken me from absolutely hating MCO, to not really minding it at all.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:46 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

If you don't have Clear or tsa pre-check, MCO let's you make an appt to go thru TSA. Just go to the website and pick your time, you'll have a 20 minute window to do your check in. You skip the long lines.

Tags
time, flight, airlines, calculate, spirit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.