First flight out of MCO

Old 02-13-2024, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Biggest thing to think about is whether you have TSA pre or global entry. 30-40 minutes extra for non TSA pre. Long lines at MCO. Also, if you use curb side porters can make a huge difference. Driving from Spanish Springs to airport we have been able to get to gate(including parking) in as little as 2 1/2 hours.

Not a lot of walking in Orlando airport. They do have monorails going to the terminals.
Global Entry has nothing to do with the OP's question, or anything other than a US citizen returning from abroad.
Old 02-13-2024, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

For a mid-morning flight, I too would stay at an overnight hotel, close to the airport, and use their shuttle., rather than trust any bus service.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:31 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Global Entry has nothing to do with the OP's question, or anything other than a US citizen returning from abroad.
GlobalEntry includes TSA Pre-Check.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
You've obviously not experienced Terminal C.

$2.8 BILLION dollar construction job that recently opened and the entire building has to be redesigned, because the airport CEO and Airport Authority are ego-maniacs and went for bling and not practicality. Your walk in Terminal C can be over 1/2 mile.
Agree and have been there. Call it the Jet Blue Terminal. Like them but now at near the bottom of my list due to this terminal.
Old 02-13-2024, 09:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Security can be a bear at MCO. In my experience a wait of 1/2 hour to 45 minutes is to be expected. It can be more, so allow for that. I'd much rather wait in a (relatively) comfortable seat at the gate than stuck in a security line wondering if the flight will take off without me.
$55+/- for TSA Pre is a no brainer, especially at MCO.
Old 02-13-2024, 09:03 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
1 hr for travel, and 2 for TSA= 3 hours.
Get TSA pre, especially if you use MCO. Last 2 times sign said 33-37 minute wait and it was less than 10 minutes going thru PRE
Old 02-14-2024, 04:43 AM
Veteran member

3 hours minimum. Too many things can go wrong. You don't want to be stressed out at the beginning of your trip. Plus you will be able to get the best seats at the gate.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,320 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
GlobalEntry includes TSA Pre-Check.
He is correct!

Global Entry members also receive TSA PreCheck® benefits as part of their membership.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:55 AM
Thumbs up I agree!

As an exclusive Spirit flyer to and from Detroit for years, I agree with Coop63. No matter when your flight departs, be there 2 hours before. Spirit doesn't play. Also allow at least 90 minutes for transport. VAV used to be pretty reliable on timely travel especially with early flights, Groome likes to pack their vans when you are doing the home pickup (haven't done the town square pickups yet) so it can take a bit more time. Catch the Spirit and have a great flight.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
Hello all... We're new to TV and we'll be flying out of Orlando for a quick trip.

How soon before the flight should we actually plan to arrive at the airport to be "on time", taking into account walking time, security queue, etc.?

Flight is on a Saturday mid-morning. Tickets are already purchased and will check in on-line. No luggage, just a personal item to carry on.

We're using Spirit airlines (first time for this too).

Trying to calculate which Groome shuttle to book (express vs. home pickup and what time). We're near Dabney so we should be the last ones picked up before they get onto the turnpike.
one of 2 worse days to fly at MCO. reason? Disney. Anyway. Spirit is on the weak side of the airport meaning it's the low end lines not Delta which could be a nightmare of a line. Assuming you don'thave any 'benefits' such as airline status, clear, tsa precheck. I'd figure an hour in line Personally in my experience I'd get there 2 hours ahead. other side would be 2 1/2. Good luck!
Old 02-14-2024, 07:19 AM
Sage

TSA PreCheck is actually $78, a renewal is a bit less. Global Entry, which includes TSA PreCheck, is $100. If there is any chance at all that you will leave the country then Global Entry may make sense for the extra $22-$30, every 5 years. Some credit cards actually reimburse you for the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
$55+/- for TSA Pre is a no brainer, especially at MCO.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
Hello all... We're new to TV and we'll be flying out of Orlando for a quick trip.

How soon before the flight should we actually plan to arrive at the airport to be "on time", taking into account walking time, security queue, etc.?

Flight is on a Saturday mid-morning. Tickets are already purchased and will check in on-line. No luggage, just a personal item to carry on.

We're using Spirit airlines (first time for this too).

Trying to calculate which Groome shuttle to book (express vs. home pickup and what time). We're near Dabney so we should be the last ones picked up before they get onto the turnpike.
We use Groome all the time get picked up from the house and usually four hours from flight time. If you have TSA pre is very efficient and civilized. Once at the airport, we generally have a bite and drink before going through security. Once you go through security and take Shuttle out to your gate there is very limited choices where to spend your waiting time. Have a nice flight.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:21 AM

[QUOTE=BrianL99;2300559]You've obviously not experienced Terminal C.

$2.8 BILLION dollar construction job that recently opened and the entire building has to be redesigned, because the airport CEO and Airport Authority are ego-maniacs and went for bling and not practicality.
Wow, I’m so surprised by your comment and others I’ve read concerning this terminal. I’ve flown in and out of Orlando from abroad for several years. I found the new terminal C a breath of fresh air! It is away from the circle road of A and B and a breeze to get in and out of when you're picking up or dropping off. I agree The walk can be long but they have those moving sidewalks to assist. Flying in from overseas into terminal A or B was the nightmare in my humble opinion. You would go through customs and then get your luggage at the belt. Then you would have to walk a few feet only to have an over crowded single elevator or a bag lift to get you up to the train level. For folks traveling with children and bags it was a joke.
The new terminal C eliminated that crazy.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:48 AM
Veteran member

Actually 1.3 mile to be exact. Yep, from landing gate for Jet Blue to outside transportation. They are using shuttle carts to ease the walk. Hail a ride if you spot an empty cart. International flights are interesting. Terminal C, exit plane on ground floor, then face 6 walk up ramps to get to 6th floor baggage and customs. Welcome hike after 10 to 11 hour flight to USA.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:50 AM
Default 2 hrs minimum

I have flown in and out of MCO several times a year for business. All days and times.

There is no good time to fly out of MCO. It’s always a zoo.
I had a 7am flight out not too long ago and by 5:30am the line was out to the Southwest ticket counter.
Spirit is a little better, but not much.

I would arrive 2 hours early at a minimum as it’s on a Saturday.

I’d rather cool my heels at the gate than be stuck in a security line wondering if I am going to make it.

Just my $0.02

Tags
time, flight, airlines, calculate, spirit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.