First flight out of MCO

Old 02-14-2024, 08:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
You've obviously not experienced Terminal C.

$2.8 BILLION dollar construction job that recently opened and the entire building has to be redesigned, because the airport CEO and Airport Authority are ego-maniacs and went for bling and not practicality. Your walk in Terminal C can be over 1/2 mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiandJay View Post
Wow, I’m so surprised by your comment and others I’ve read concerning this terminal. I’ve flown in and out of Orlando from abroad for several years. I found the new terminal C a breath of fresh air! It is away from the circle road of A and B and a breeze to get in and out of when you're picking up or dropping off. I agree The walk can be long but they have those moving sidewalks to assist. Flying in from overseas into terminal A or B was the nightmare in my humble opinion. You would go through customs and then get your luggage at the belt. Then you would have to walk a few feet only to have an over crowded single elevator or a bag lift to get you up to the train level. For folks traveling with children and bags it was a joke.
The new terminal C eliminated that crazy.
I'm not sure what Terminal C you're talking about, but it's not the one that exists.

Right before construction began on Terminal C, the Airport Authority got nervous about costs and narrowed all the corridors & walkways, to reduce their width by 10'. This made the installation of "moving walks", impossible ... there are none in Terminal C.

The Airport is now thinking of ways to retro-fit moving walks, as Terminal C has become a white elephant and no one wants to use it. JetBlue is complaining they're losing business, because folks no longer want to fly the airline, as they'll be forced to use Terminal C.

A & B are much more convenient for passengers. The only convenience Terminal C offers, is easier pickup/drop off ... mostly because it's only running at about 20% capacity. Airlines don't want to move their operation into that terminal.
Old 02-14-2024, 08:42 AM
Veteran member

Give yourself plenty of time. If my flight leaves at 1pm, I make sure that I leave the Villages by 9am. It does mean that if all goes well that more time will be spent at the airport, but it beats being tied up on the turnpike for an unknown amount of time due to construction or accident.
Being late is stressful, but knowing that you are where you are supposed to be and just waiting for your flight is sooooo much better.
Old 02-14-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
Hello all... We're new to TV and we'll be flying out of Orlando for a quick trip.

How soon before the flight should we actually plan to arrive at the airport to be "on time", taking into account walking time, security queue, etc.?

Flight is on a Saturday mid-morning. Tickets are already purchased and will check in on-line. No luggage, just a personal item to carry on.

We're using Spirit airlines (first time for this too).

Trying to calculate which Groome shuttle to book (express vs. home pickup and what time). We're near Dabney so we should be the last ones picked up before they get onto the turnpike.
I usually travel with only a carry on and have TSA Precheck so I usually arrive about 1 hour before because I go right to the terminal and breeze though security!
Old 02-14-2024, 08:48 AM
Sage

We generally get there with plenty of time. We have a Priority Pass so we wait in their lounge. Unfortunately, we sometimes have to wait to get in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdrm View Post
I usually travel with only a carry on and have TSA Precheck so I usually arrive about 1 hour before because I go right to the terminal and breeze though security!
Old 02-14-2024, 09:23 AM

Anybody fly breeze airways outa MCO?

I am coming down in March and have a Return Flight with Breeze at 7am.

I have to return an Avis Car also. Should I leave TV at 2Am to get there on time?
Old 02-14-2024, 10:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,321 Times in 596 Posts

A lot depends on where you are going and what you are doing. If you are going to visit friends, missing a flight and being delayed a day probably won't ruin the vacation.

However, if you absolutely have to be on that flight, I would recommend going down the night before. For example, if I have a flight connection to Europe where, if I miss it, it might ruin the entire vacation (like missing the cruise), I would go down the night before.

I had a Spirit flight where they canceled a Friday morning flight and offered to put me on another flight on Saturday afternoon which was to arrive late Saturday evening. I was going out for a wedding on Saturday afternoon so that would have messed up the purpose of the trip.
Old 02-14-2024, 10:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I'm not sure what Terminal C you're talking about, but it's not the one that exists.

Right before construction began on Terminal C, the Airport Authority got nervous about costs and narrowed all the corridors & walkways, to reduce their width by 10'. This made the installation of "moving walks", impossible ... there are none in Terminal C.

The Airport is now thinking of ways to retro-fit moving walks, as Terminal C has become a white elephant and no one wants to use it. JetBlue is complaining they're losing business, because folks no longer want to fly the airline, as they'll be forced to use Terminal C.

A & B are much more convenient for passengers. The only convenience Terminal C offers, is easier pickup/drop off ... mostly because it's only running at about 20% capacity. Airlines don't want to move their operation into that terminal.
Exactly. Terminal C is a nightmare. Now avoiding Jet Blue at all cost. I indicated that in my review to Jet Blue. Who ever made those final decisions on design should not be employed. Considering this is Florida, they probably got promoted.
Old 02-14-2024, 02:42 PM

I know people who arrived 3 hours early but missed their flight, but they were checking bags. I also saw quite a few Sprit passengers missing their flights when they were in the same airside as United. Security can get long quickly because so many of the early flight passengers arrive at the same time and can't get through security in time. It's a personal preference if one would rather be sitting around waiting or taking the risk on traffic and security.

The Village Airport Van has never left people behind at 1:30 in the morning when the driver didn't show up or at the airport when a flight was delayed and the vans were booked. Enough said.
Old 02-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:

I just flew JetBlue to DC last month. I was picked up at my house (Groome) 2.75 hrs before my flight. Zero problems. The walk was not an issue... TSA-Pre and only a carry on bag...

I even had time to grab a bite to eat before boarding...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-14-2024, 08:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

The shuttle bus drivers for the off site parking services hate this terminal
Old 02-14-2024, 08:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
Exactly. Terminal C is a nightmare. Now avoiding Jet Blue at all cost. I indicated that in my review to Jet Blue. Who ever made those final decisions on design should not be employed. Considering this is Florida, they probably got promoted.
Noted your comments about Jet Blue. Wonder if this does make a difference for them
Old 02-15-2024, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
A lot depends on where you are going and what you are doing. If you are going to visit friends, missing a flight and being delayed a day probably won't ruin the vacation.

However, if you absolutely have to be on that flight, I would recommend going down the night before. For example, if I have a flight connection to Europe where, if I miss it, it might ruin the entire vacation (like missing the cruise), I would go down the night before.

I had a Spirit flight where they canceled a Friday morning flight and offered to put me on another flight on Saturday afternoon which was to arrive late Saturday evening. I was going out for a wedding on Saturday afternoon so that would have messed up the purpose of the trip.
Where's a really close place to stay?
Old 02-15-2024, 06:40 AM

Welcome!!! I think you will love it here. I drive passengers to the airport professionally, and personally fly Spirit almost exclusively. For a direct ride from Dabney to MCO, you’re looking at a 50 min trip. We still allow that extra 10 min, and would pick you up 3 hours before departure. Some folks who are not checking bags will ask us to trim that to 2.5 hours before. The turnpike can be messy. I don’t know how a shuttle does it, but we use Waze. It will divert us if there are significant delays. We have never had a rider miss a flight—a typical traffic issue may cost 20 min or so at most.

When you get to the airport, you will be dropped off at the Spirit doors. The great news is that is right at the security lines, so it’s super close, not far to walk.

Even if you don’t have TSA precheck, you can go to this site and reserve your time at TSA: Save Your Spot
It cuts your time in line. My daughter used it, and made it through TSA in about 10 min during a pretty busy time.

As far as what time to book Groome, is there a way to input the time you want to be at the airport? This is where you will want to pad your time if you’re not sure whether there are stops between your house and the airport.

Hope that helps! :-)
Old 02-15-2024, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakster66 View Post
As mentioned earlier; TSA pre-check is invaluable for MCO. Highly recommended. It has taken me from absolutely hating MCO, to not really minding it at all.
Same here! One of the first things we did after moving here was apply for TSA PreCheck because of MCO security lines. We travel to California a couple times annually because our kids and grandson live there, and TSA PreCheck makes it far more bearable.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:53 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

I like terminal C. Less crowded.

Tags
time, flight, airlines, calculate, spirit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.