Getting around in New York City

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Getting around in New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman
Just a hint - if you decide to take the subway, buy the return tokens at the same time you buy to go tokens. It will save you standing in line on the way back. I learned this when I went to a NY Met game at Shea.
For the record, the only tokens left are in museums - they are no longer accepted at the turnstiles. There is a Metro Card now that you can put money on with a credit card, or buy at a store or "token booth".

The subway is definitely the easiest way around the city, and especially to get to a Yankee game. It's safe as long as you don't wear Boston Red Sox gear ;D There will be a rush hour crowd going up to the game and a post game crowd going back, so you won't be alone on a subway platform.

The ferry is a very civilized way to go, but has one large drawback in my mind. It leaves 1/2 hour after the last out for the return trip. So if the game is a blow-out, or it goes 15 innings until 1 AM, you're pretty much stuck there.

Driving is possible, but expect to sit for quite some time getting out especially. Getting there can be difficult too. I've done it quite a few times though as I live in Staten Island and the trip back from the Bronx to SI via public transportation can take upwards of 3 hours!

There are many, many restaurant's there. If you're going to a play while in town, I'd recommend 2 really neat places - Carmine's for family style Italian food (47th St) or Frankie & Johnny's on either 8th or 9th around 49th st. (don't remember). I think F&J's has been there since the 1950's, and you'll get the world's best chopped salad (if you like that), a great steak, a steep check (remember, it's Manhattan) and a very liberal dose of NY attitude from the wait staff. Carmine's is lower priced, has excellent Italian, huge portions (share), and a huge crowd (so expect to wait).

Have a great time!
Old 08-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSLINY
Has anybody been to CARMINES ON 44TH street and Broadway
Very good food served family style :hot: :hot: :hot:
I posted before I finished reading..... :redface:
Old 08-06-2008, 03:20 PM

What a great place... NY... I also love to eat in Little Italy as well as many other places. One of my favorite things to do each time I return is to go to Canal Street to find the "great bargains" they have to offer there.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:51 AM
Platinum member

If you are going to use the subway in NYC, get on the website hopstop.com. You can enter your start and stop location and tell it whether you want to walk more or make transfers. I use the site a lot as I'm working in the city twice a month. I frequently stay in the Times Square area on 8th Ave. and love to go to the small bistros in Hells Kitchen - especially on Ninth Ave. Just read the menus on the street. My problem now is that I have a longer commute from TV but it will be worth it I am sure.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.