Getting around in New York City

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Veteran member
Default Getting around in New York City

My wife decided we're going to go to a baseball game at the soon to be demolished Yankee Stadium next week. Anyone have any advise on getting around while we're there? Subway, bus, taxi ? Where to eat in mid town? Where NOT to go? Anything you think important would be welcome. Thanks
Old 07-22-2008, 01:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Become A Real New Yorker...Take The Subway!

If you don't, it can become real expensive real fast. We went up for a wedding in January and stayed at a Marriott in the financial district. We flew in and out of La Guardia. The wedding was at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens and a couple of other associated events were in Tribeca. Of course, we visited a couple of midtown museums and went to the theatre on Broadway one night.

Total cab fares for four days...about $300!

Take the subway if you can. If it's good enough for Mayor Bloomberg, it ought to be good enough for everyone else. He's only worth $3-4 billion!
Old 07-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Default Re: Getting around in New York City

We usually stay around W. 56th and 7th and either walk or take a taxi to restaurants, Central Park and Broadway; if you are a bit more adventuresome, the subway will get you everywhere; as to restaurants you can find whatever suits you in Manhattan. If you like steak, Ruth's Chris had an awesome summer special last month (dinner for 2 - soup/salad, entree, dessert for $89); we had a lovely dinner at Havana Central if you like Cuban; or you can have the caviar omelet for breakfast at Norma's for $$$$(never tried it, interesting breakfast items, W. 57th & 7th ?); Manhattan is a tough restaurant market and restaurants come and go; we have found the concierge at the place where we stay to be an excellent resource; have fun! we are planning a similar trip for next month.

John
Old 07-22-2008, 01:37 AM
Platinum member

Blue, if you're staying in Manhattan, this site says that you can also take a ferry to the game.
http://gonyc.about.com/cs/attractions/p/yankee.htm

Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 07-22-2008, 02:43 AM
Gold member

One of our absolute favorite places to eat in midtown is at the Carnegie Deli on the west side of Seventh Avenue around 55th-56th Street. You can have deli sandwiches the likes of which you will never see anywhere else! World-renown Carnegie Hall (saved from demolition by Isaac Stern and committee back in the '60s) is just up Seventh Avenue on the corner of 57th Street, and two blocks north of that is the southern end of Central Park. Half price theater tickets are available in Duffy Square for same day performance; Duffy Square is the north side of Times Square, around 48th Street or so. If you have time for a museum, but not a full day, visit the Frick Collection (a former Gilded Age mansion) on the corner of Fifth Avenue and 72nd Street, facing Central Park from the east side--small and doable in a couple of hours. The subways work fine and it's hard to get lost on them as you don't have to guess what station you're in when the train pulls in. (Buses can be confusing, and taxis are outrageously expensive.) Yankee Stadium is on the Jerome Avenue IRT line, 161st Street stop. Have a ball!
Old 07-22-2008, 02:56 AM
Dancing Thyme

Blue, its been many years since I've lived in Manhattan so I can't advise on restaurants but I can give you a warning about Yankee Stadium area. Do not plan on public transportation to the stadium or even think about walking around there. My understanding is the neighborhood is very dangerous. I would definitely take a taxi there and back.

My last trip into Manhattan, I used the bus lines to get from point A to B. You can get passes also, I think for $10? not sure about that, but it allows you to transfer to other buses and is very convenient. I think there's an on line site for the bus lines routes, check it out. Definitely a bus tour through Manhattan will give you a great perspective on what is where. The Times Square area used to be very unsafe but they have cleaned up the area a lot and its very nice to see it.

My favorite restaurants are in little Italy. I have found that you can go by taxi down there and go into any restaurant and have a wonderful, authentic Italian meal.

I'd do a lot of research on the web cause NY to me is the most wonderful city in the world. I wouldn't want to live there again, but to visit, there is nothing better. You just need to be careful, always look over your shoulder.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 07-22-2008, 02:56 AM
Eternal Member

Just a hint - if you decide to take the subway, buy the return tokens at the same time you buy to go tokens. It will save you standing in line on the way back. I learned this when I went to a NY Met game at Shea.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:57 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Although retired, I thought the token was retired in 2003. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Shirleevee

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 07-22-2008, 04:08 AM
Dancing Thyme

Shirl, I really didn't know cause I've been gone from NYC since 1978, but I found this link that might be helpful:

http://www.ny.com/transportation/buses/

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 07-22-2008, 04:16 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

from the MTA website;

With the introduction of Automated Fare Collection, the traditional role of the station agent in booths collecting money, emptying turnstiles, dispensing and accounting for tokens has now changed dramatically (tokens were eliminated in May 2003) and customer service has become a greater part of their job. MetroCard Vending Machines (MVMs) and MetroCard Express Machines (MEMs) now provide custom service..

The Staten Island train is free unless you take it to the SI Ferry.....which I haven't done in quite a few years........somedays I feel old lol.

Shirleevee

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 07-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Veteran member

Thanks folks! First hand info is much better than what I could find from google. :bigthumbsup:
Old 07-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Gold member

I agree with Kathie that the neighborhood around Yankee Stadium is not one where you want to spend time; however, using the subway to get there for a ball game, when literally thousands of other people will similarly be using the subway to get there, should not be an issue as long as you stay with the crowds and don't go wandering off before or after the game. If you can, please post on this site what you trip was like after you're back home--thanks!
Old 07-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

..My mouth is watering..Carnegie Deli is a treat all it's own, movie stars always go there, the food is out of this world!!

I also agree,your best bet, after you leave the stadium, and get back to where you are staying, take a cab..They get you there and back, with no hassle on public transportation..

It is better NOT to wander around.... Have a greaT TIME

The Villages Florida....GO Yankees!!!!

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 07-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

NYC uses a Metrocard for public transportation.

Some NYC Rules and tips
Gold is not Gold if you buy it on the street (also applies to Rolex and Coach)
3 card monte is a game designed to seperate you from your money
Ride the subway but wait for the trains within ear shot and eye shot of the "token booth"

Best kosher deli is at the 2nd ave deli which is in the E.30's
Best Chinese go to China town- Wo Hop on Motts Street
Famous Ray's pizza is only famous for having a large # of locations
Dirty water hot dogs (under the umbrella) are eaten with mustard and onions
Best Italian is Puglia's in little Italy
Best Pizza is Johns in the Village

Enjoy your trip but travel smart

Melz currently in NYC
Old 07-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Veteran member

What about the Stage Deli?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.