Getting around in New York City

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna
Default Re: Getting around in New York City

Stage Deli...another good one.. :bigthumbsup:

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 07-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Veteran member

All this talk of NYC is really making me nostalgic :

When I visited NYC in 2000, with 3 other ladies, we had lunch at the Russian Tea Room (around 57th) and it was very special and memorable !
Old 07-23-2008, 02:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default New York City Restaurants

After returning from our trip to a wedding in New York, we marveled at the cost of meals at the restaurants. We figured that we could get four dinners at local Villages eateries for what one cost in NYC. Having said that, both Mrs. Kahuna and I agreed that the meals and dining experience was worth it! They don't have chefs here in TV that come close to matching those in New York.

I second the recommendations for the Carnegie Deli. If you want to go a bit more upscale and treat yourself to a real experience, try the River Cafe under the Brooklyn Bridge in Brooklyn. A bit closer is Bouley in Tribeca. You'll come home well-fed, lighter in the wallet, but marveling at the value of such magnificently-prepared food.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:34 AM
Gold member

Stage Deli is good, but in my opinion Carnegie Deli has it beat! They are, BTW, very close to each other, both on Seventh Avenue around 55th-56th Streets. The Russian Tea Room is literally next door to Carnegie Hall on West 57th Street near Seventh Avenue and has been through several incarnations--openings and closings. I believe it's currently open and as elegant as it always had been, though again IMHO it's just not the same as it had been several decades ago. (My age is showing....)
Old 07-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

When it comes Deli sandwiches the Stage and Carnegie Deli's are famous to very large sandwiches, quantity not necessarily quality. They are on 7th ave about a block (NY for a City street) apart. Katz's on the lower east side is just as famous but has better deli meats.

My favorite Steakhouse is Sparks on the E. 44th St. It has great service, excellent aged steaks and the shrimp cocktail you will always remember.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

The infamous Spark's Steak House...Yes, the food is superb!

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 07-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Platinum member

You got that right, Donna!!
Old 07-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

An addition to Melz's cautions.

If a camcorder or camera on the street is boxed and shrink wrapped, you can bet there are magazines in the boxes.

Shirleevee

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 07-23-2008, 02:41 PM

My favorite restaurant in NYC:

http://www.patsys.com/ Broadway and 56th St.

Not a tourist attraction, family owned, a bit pricey but worth it. Over the years, just by chance when dining there we met Roger Daltry, Rosemary Clooney and several other celebs who go there to get away from the crowds and media. The walls are covered with signed photos of their famous patrons.
Ask to meet Sal, the chef - he's a real NY personality!
Old 07-23-2008, 03:23 PM

I'm not sure I know where you are staying but if you are on the East side, there is a wonderful restaurant on 2nd Ave, between 63 and 64 called Portofino. It is reasonably priced and the food is wonderful. I would also recommend a Pizza Pasta restaurant called Patsy Pizza also on 2nd Ave. There are a few of them, one in the 40s another near 70. This is not the same as the Patsy on 57 mentioned earlier. These are not the usual tourist restaurants, and are not as pricey. A more expensive restaurant with excellent food would be a restaurant called Cellini on 54 between Madison and Park. Don't forget to ask for the complimentary biscotti cookies with coffee after dinner (They ususally do not need to be reminded, but just in case).
I would also go by subway to Yankee stadium, the subway is safe and there are so many people going to and from the stadium, safety in the Bronx should not be an issue. In spite of all reports otherwise, I lived in NYC for many years and it is one of the safest places in the US.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:55 PM

Its been 7 years since I left NYC and all this talk of good restuarants has made me so nostalgic. Don't forget Katz's Deli on Houston. Its where they filmed that famous scene from WHERE HARRY MET SALLY. The fake Big O. And one of my favorites also is Docks, a terrific seafood restuarant on the corner of 40th and 3rd Ave. It was 2 blocks from our apartment and we spent a lot of time there. Have a blast.
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Veteran member

Well, we survived our trip to NYC and lived to talk about it. We covered a lot of the area between Central Park and Ground Zero as well as Brooklyn on the night tour bus and went to the Bronx for a game at Yankee Stadium. We stayed at The Warwick on 54th across the street from the Museum of Modern Art. We dined at Mickey Mantle's and various deli's and breathed in several pounds of gunk and had our first subway rides.

Sure am glad to be back here in TV. :bigthumbsup:

This is for those of you that, for whatever reason, are homesick for the area.

The Villages Florida
Old 08-06-2008, 03:21 AM

Hello and thanks for posting the photo. It is good to see, although truth be told, Carnegie's is more of a tourist attraction in the league of Russian Tea Room (RIP) and Tavern on the Green. Most real New Yorkers probably only go there when their out of town friends are under the impression it is "the" place to be. An interesting side note that I bet you didn't know is that in the apartment above Carnegies's (yes, right there in those windows,) there was a triple homicide (again, RIP) of a young starlet and her friends by a disgruntled drug dealer demanding payment. Sad, but this is the part of New Yorks history that is notorious and chock full of scandal. I always thought a "Scandal" tour would hold some appeal to visitors tired of the Statue of Liberty, etc.... Because there is always some scandal, even if hidden below the surface. Makes me wonder.....where are the scandal sites in TV?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Veteran member

With regard to a Scandals Tour, our tour guide on the bus (a Joan Rivers kinda local gal) pointed out several points of gossip type interest and where some famous people live. "Courtney Love lives here when she isn't in jail", etc. She said she's never owned a car and can have almost anything delivered to her apartment 24/7.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:04 PM

Has anybody been to CARMINES ON 44TH street and Broadway
Very good food served family style :hot: :hot: :hot:
FT BENJAMIN HARRISON
FT LEE
TAIWAN
QUI NHON VIETNAM 66-67
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.