Groome direct bus, formerly Workman

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2023, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
I -did- say "I think prices went up in the Spring"...

Why pay an additional $15 to get a ride home from Brownwood or LSL when they'll take you directly home for less money?
My guess: A more predictable departure and arrival time at the Villages. (a recent post complained about being the last to be dropped off at home)

The departure time meant less to me than keeping my car in the garage - I chose the residential service.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-03-2023, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Depending on where you live, the extra $15 is chump change compared to your time. If you live in the northern sections of the Villages, you will be the first picked up or last dropped off resulting in a MUCH longer ride.
True. I live just north of 44. In the half dozen times I've used Groome's, I've only had to wait for 2-3 stops. Maybe adding 10-15 minutes to the trip...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-03-2023, 09:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
My guess: A more predictable departure and arrival time at the Villages. (a recent post complained about being the last to be dropped off at home)

The departure time meant less to me than keeping my car in the garage - I chose the residential service.
Also true.

-Tom Petty
Old 09-03-2023, 10:20 AM

I haven’t been able to get an answer to this question yet

I have 20 loyalty points with Workman that is good for 2 free trips or 1 round trip. I can’t get an answer on what happens to the points.

Does anyone else have this issue?
Old 09-03-2023, 10:26 AM
Veteran member

Groome works well for those living South of 44. Last to be picked up and first to be dropped off. I'm in Marsh Bend and there has only been one time someone was dropped off before me.
Old 09-03-2023, 12:28 PM
Default Groome

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Groome used to charge $35 to pick up/drop off at your house. Now, it looks like it's $40. Not an additional $15... I think it went up last Spring when due to increased gas prices...
Yes, the cost of the shuttle is $40. That was Workman‘s price. It’s now grooms price for their express service which is the workman schedule and prices. The extra $15 I mentioned is if you want the express route to pick you up at home and take you to LSL or Brownwood hotel to catch the express service to the airport so that would be a total of $55 one way
Old 09-03-2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsnarkin View Post
I haven’t been able to get an answer to this question yet

I have 20 loyalty points with Workman that is good for 2 free trips or 1 round trip. I can’t get an answer on what happens to the points.

Does anyone else have this issue?
I called and asked that question the other day and they said if you book a trip right now, they’re gonna honor it but going forward they will not that’s been phased out so our loyalty points are not going to transfer from Workman to groome
Old 09-03-2023, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Depending on where you live, the extra $15 is chump change compared to your time. If you live in the northern sections of the Villages, you will be the first picked up or last dropped off resulting in a MUCH longer ride. That was before a single home was built south of 44, I can only imagine the additional time now. If they had home pick up services that were exclusively for smaller sections of the Villages that would be different.
We are in Mulberry, so always first on, last off. Usually adds about an hour to 1.5 hours as we ride thru the rest of TV picking up or dropping off others. We are snow flakes and prefer to store our car in our garage for the often months we are north. Extra $15 will be worth it to save that time. But question is if that is per person (I would assume) or flat rate. Will be looking into this as we are back down in a couple weeks.
Old 09-03-2023, 07:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,084 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drrichross View Post
We are in Mulberry, so always first on, last off. Usually adds about an hour to 1.5 hours as we ride thru the rest of TV picking up or dropping off others. We are snow flakes and prefer to store our car in our garage for the often months we are north. Extra $15 will be worth it to save that time. But question is if that is per person (I would assume) or flat rate. Will be looking into this as we are back down in a couple weeks.
Not sure how Groome will work, but Workman charged $15 for the ride between the Terminal and your home and it was a flat rate even if you had more than one person. However, we only use that service if it’s a single traveler. Whenever we have more than one traveler we use a private driver. With 2 people the private driver only costs a little bit more and with three or four travelers the private driver is cheaper than the shuttle. The problem with private drivers is that you usually have to book them well in advance as they tend to have a full schedule. When you spontaneously book a trip on short notice it can be difficult to find an available driver, so the shuttle is a back up option.
Old 09-03-2023, 08:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittycat522 View Post
Yes, the cost of the shuttle is $40. That was Workman‘s price. It’s now grooms price for their express service which is the workman schedule and prices. The extra $15 I mentioned is if you want the express route to pick you up at home and take you to LSL or Brownwood hotel to catch the express service to the airport so that would be a total of $55 one way
Yes, I understand that. But now, you've got to make two trips and wait for two pickups... For me, that makes zero sense, as I live just north of 44 and I'm one of the last to be picked up to go to the airport and one of the first to be dropped off...

For me, home pickup (leaving out the Brownwood stop) makes more sense...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-03-2023, 09:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Wonder why they go to Orlando and not Tampa airport?
Old 09-04-2023, 04:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Wonder why they go to Orlando and not Tampa airport?
My guess: Orlando is 25 miles closer, you don't have to deal with downtown Tampa traffic, and Orlando might have more flights.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-04-2023, 03:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
My guess: Orlando is 25 miles closer, you don't have to deal with downtown Tampa traffic, and Orlando might have more flights.
Yes, Yes and Yes...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
bus, workman, groome, changed, yesterday

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.