Heading North on 301

Heading North on 301

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Heading North on 301
  #1  
Old 03-29-2019, 11:49 AM
JMEZARIC3 JMEZARIC3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LYNNHAVEN/SWAINWOOD VILLAS
Posts: 262
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Heading North on 301

We will be heading north on 301 next week. Looking for updates on the Starke bypass and the reworking of the I10 ramps. Any delays?

  #2  
Old 03-29-2019, 05:30 PM
bagboy bagboy is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,491
Thanks: 37
Thanked 51 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEZARIC3 View Post
We will be heading north on 301 next week. Looking for updates on the Starke bypass and the reworking of the I10 ramps. Any delays?
We just came through there today from I-10. Re: I-10 ramps, they are under construction but it was easy off 10/ onto 301 south. The Starke bypass is under construction, made no sense to me, you still travel through downtown Starke, but again no big delays. HOWEVER, there is a wide short stretch of road there that the speed limit is only 25, and it IS an FHP speed trap. Maxwell and Waldo high very high law enforcement presence also.
Have a safe trip.

Last edited by bagboy; 03-29-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 03-29-2019, 06:39 PM
ColdNoMore's Avatar
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 9,017
Thanks: 0
Thanked 92 Times in 61 Posts
Default

Depending on your ultimate destination, if it's north of Jacksonville especially, I recommend heading to Palatka through the Ocala Nat'l Forest, over to I-95, then the east bypass (toward airport) around Jax...then back to I-95.

Nice relaxing drive through the forest, without all of the stop/go of traffic lights on 301...AND the potential speed traps.
__________________
Standing up for the underdog and against bullies...every chance I get.
  #4  
Old 03-29-2019, 07:25 PM
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages
Posts: 1,233
Thanks: 129
Thanked 188 Times in 96 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Depending on your ultimate destination, if it's north of Jacksonville especially, I recommend heading to Palatka through the Ocala Nat'l Forest, over to I-95, then the east bypass (toward airport) around Jax...then back to I-95.

Nice relaxing drive through the forest, without all of the stop/go of traffic lights on 301...AND the potential speed traps.
Thats the way to go, did it last week and enjoyed the ride. There are only two bad parts, going through Palatka is congested for about 10 minutes, then all the never ending construction going on the I-295 east bypass around Jacksonville. There is no real direct way to get north of Jax, but that way is much better than taking 301 (traffic lights and speed traps abound).
  #5  
Old 03-29-2019, 07:55 PM
villagerjack villagerjack is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,229
Thanks: 17
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Take 75N to I-10 to 295/95Longer but faster speeds and no worrying about speed traps.
  #6  
Old 03-30-2019, 09:02 AM
paulat585 paulat585 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 129
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Take 75N to I-10 to 295/95Longer but faster speeds and no worrying about speed traps.
What about traveling north to Jacksonville on Sunday 3/31. Do you still recommend I-75?
__________________
Paulat585

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
  #7  
Old 03-30-2019, 10:47 AM
Rapscallion St Croix's Avatar
Rapscallion St Croix Rapscallion St Croix is online now
Gold member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: TV..Ugly Golf Swing Capital of the World
Posts: 1,358
Thanks: 2
Thanked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Default

I have tried all the routes. My choice is staying on 301 by going under I-10. In about a mile, turn right on Hwy 90 and go another mile or so. Turn left onto 301 and go straight through Callahan. You are now on SR200 and you will hit I-95 at Yulee. Very little traffic on this route and speed limit is 65 for much of the way. Worst case is getting stopped by a train in Baldwin...happened once in about twenty trips.
Attached Thumbnails
starketoyulee1-jpg  
__________________
My dance style ranges from old white dad at a barbeque to stripper whose rent is due tomorrow.
  #8  
Old 03-30-2019, 11:00 AM
CWGUY's Avatar
CWGUY CWGUY is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,713
Thanks: 434
Thanked 175 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I have tried all the routes. My choice is staying on 301 by going under I-10. In about a mile, turn right on Hwy 90 and go another mile or so. Turn left onto 301 and go straight through Callahan. You are now on SR200 and you will hit I-95 at Yulee. Very little traffic on this route and speed limit is 65 for much of the way. Worst case is getting stopped by a train in Baldwin...happened once in about twenty trips.
The easiest way to go. I even did it when the road was under construction.
__________________
__________________________________________________
Trying To Understand Some People Is Like Trying To Smell The Color 9
  #9  
Old 03-30-2019, 11:09 AM
ColdNoMore's Avatar
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 9,017
Thanks: 0
Thanked 92 Times in 61 Posts
Default

The problem of trains blocking the Hwy 90 crossing at Baldwin, has become an increasing frustration for Baldwin residents...particularly in the last year or so.

Enough of a problem, that the folks in Tallahassee are now talking about laws...to address the issue.

CSX trains block Baldwin roads for hours - baffling residents, hurting businesses - News - The Florida Times-Union - Jacksonville, FL

Not an insurmountable problem by any means, as one can always turn around, go back to I-10 east...then take the west I-95 bypass around Jax.
__________________
Standing up for the underdog and against bullies...every chance I get.
  #10  
Old 03-30-2019, 12:13 PM
petsetc petsetc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 116
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I have tried all the routes. My choice is staying on 301 by going under I-10. In about a mile, turn right on Hwy 90 and go another mile or so. Turn left onto 301 and go straight through Callahan. You are now on SR200 and you will hit I-95 at Yulee. Very little traffic on this route and speed limit is 65 for much of the way. Worst case is getting stopped by a train in Baldwin...happened once in about twenty trips.
This is the civilized and sane way to go.
  #11  
Old 03-30-2019, 01:02 PM
bob47 bob47 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Santiago
Posts: 196
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I have tried all the routes. My choice is staying on 301 by going under I-10. In about a mile, turn right on Hwy 90 and go another mile or so. Turn left onto 301 and go straight through Callahan. You are now on SR200 and you will hit I-95 at Yulee. Very little traffic on this route and speed limit is 65 for much of the way. Worst case is getting stopped by a train in Baldwin...happened once in about twenty trips.
I agree 100% I think only 2 or 3 traffic lights after you pass under I-10. Have done this a number of times while using a Garmin. It always picks a different route but by the time I get back on the Garmin route on I-95, my expected arrival time is a couple of minutes earlier.
  #12  
Old 03-30-2019, 01:10 PM
ColdNoMore's Avatar
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 9,017
Thanks: 0
Thanked 92 Times in 61 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Thats the way to go, did it last week and enjoyed the ride. There are only two bad parts, going through Palatka is congested for about 10 minutes, then all the never ending construction going on the I-295 east bypass around Jacksonville. There is no real direct way to get north of Jax, but that way is much better than taking 301 (traffic lights and speed traps abound).
I guess that makes at least two of us then, that are..."uncivilized and insane."
__________________
Standing up for the underdog and against bullies...every chance I get.
  #13  
Old 03-30-2019, 01:45 PM
paulat585 paulat585 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 129
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
I agree 100% I think only 2 or 3 traffic lights after you pass under I-10. Have done this a number of times while using a Garmin. It always picks a different route but by the time I get back on the Garmin route on I-95, my expected arrival time is a couple of minutes earlier.
Okay. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks!
__________________
Paulat585

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Closed Thread

Tags
heading, north, reworking, ramps, delays

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 PM.