HELP! Medical Support in a Foreign Country

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Gold member
Default HELP! Medical Support in a Foreign Country

Well my friend with the medical condition did go on the cruise that she and her husband and a group of friends had been planning.

She has been doing fine medically which is a blessing. With all the focus on her, the current situation came totally out of left field. I am going to quote her email to me because I can't say it better than she has already done.

But first I want to tell you my point in doing so... I am wondering if any of you know of some helpful information that I can pass on to her. This is uppermost in my mind right now.

The second thing is...I want all of us travelers, to think about how we would handle it, if a situation like this occurred during one of our trips and how could we be prepared, for the unexpected.

Last edited by Just Susan; 09-14-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Gold member
Default HELP! Medical Support in a Foreign Country 1st email

This is the 1st email from my friend.

Beginning of quote:
I'm sure you're wondering why I am writing to you when we are suppposed to
be on this fabulous cruise. But the unthinkable has happened. After a day of
cold rainy weather touring Tallinn, Estonia, we returned to the ship and
(XXXX) suffered an aneurysm in his head. He had taken a hot shower and we
were getting dressed to meet the others when the top of his head hurt
incredibly!! I called the clinic right away and they sent a wheelchair as he
also lost the feeling in his legs for 5-10 minutes. Luckily, our room was
right down the hall from the clinic and the Dr assessed him quickly and did
an x-ray but said he must have a CT scan which they do not have on board.

So she called the paramedics to take us to the hospital in Estonia, and I was
told to quickly pack our bags. Now there was no way I could "quickly" pack 2
weeks worth of clothes, so I packed an extra set and hopped on the
ambulance. At that time I really thought all would be well and they could
ferry us to St. Petersburg the next day to catch up with the ship. This was
the scariest ride of my life. Not only worried about (XXXX), but weaving
through traffic.

About 20 minutes to the hospital and they left me in a waiting room for 2
hours while they examined him and confirmed he had an aneurysm. I found
myself in a foreign country with no local money to even get a cup of coffee,
and most cabs and restaurants did not accept American dollars.

They were keeping (XXXX) horizontal to prevent further damage from blood in the brain, and I could join him in the emergency room. They sedated him and he slept most of the time. Meanwhile a rep from the ship did come to the hospital and took me to a hotel...decent, but $25 each way by cab.

The next day he needed surgery but they realized they did not have the
equipment as it was very large piece to clip off and they would have to go through the brain. Insurance became an issue as I could only produce our cards.

Finally a very helpful neurologist thought of calling the US Embassy in
Estonia. After many attempts, she reached a wonderful man who looked up our passports, knew the phone # for the AIG travel insurance we had taken out and set up several 3 way calls to get this all straightened out. AIG said we could go to Paris or Helsinki to have the surgery by medical evacuation.
But the flights were 25 minutes versus 2+ hours, so they chose Helsinki,
Finland.

At 9 am the next morning we were on a small plane with a Dr, 1 paramedic and 2 pilots and me. An ambulance met us at the airport and I was in for another scarey ride. By 12:15 (XXXX) was in syrgery. It only took about 1 and 1/2 hour and things went well. Because he had regained his ability to move before he left the ship, they feel he could make a full recovery, but cannot promise anything.

It is now 2 days since surgery and he has not woken up yet. He is on a
ventilator breathing for him which they will remove as soon as he awakens. We talk loudly to him and squeeze his hands but little response yet. He probably wants a break from my constant chatter.

My hotel is only 4 blocks from the hospital so I can walk but it is very
cold, about 40-45 degrees. I may buy a winter coat since he will be here 10 or more days for recovery. We planned on 65degrees for most cities we were visiting so I have no warm clothes.

Copenhagen and Berlin were awesome and we were having a great time with our dear friends. The ship docked in Helsinki yesterday so they got into our stateroom and packed up the rest of our belongings, then brought them to me at my hotel so I had more clothes. Thank God! I wore the same slacks for 4 days. They were able to see (XXXX) through a window and I pretended that Linda was his sister so she could go in and see him.

I figured she might ask some good medical questions, and she did!! Such wonderful friends..we walked around Helsinki and saw the highlights before they returned to leave on the ship. Then I went to the hospital where we again tried to wake (XXXX) to no avail.

Again, our family is asking for your prayers. Bruce has been my caregiver
for years and now I can pay him back but this foreign country business is
unbelieveable! I get lost as none of the streets criss cross, they curve and
intersect. Prices are very high for everything but they use the euro and I
haved changed $ and found a small grocery store.

I must hurry as the computer is going to cut me off in 2 minutes, but I
could write a book.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Gold member
Default HELP! Medical Support in a Foreign Country 2nd email

Next email excerpt:

It is 3+ days and (XXXX) has still not woken up but there is some swelling
and it could take longer they tell me. They reduce the sedation every few
hours and then we talk to him loudly and squeeze his hand or ask him to move his leg.

On 3 occasions he has blinked briefly when I was there but not for them, they say. So he seems to respond to a familiar voice. As soon as he shows signs of being awake, they will remove the ventilator. The anesthesiologist was in today but we couldn't get him awake enough so tomorrow we will try again.

The aneurysm was in the frontal part of the brain, which controls memory. So
even if there is damage there...what's new??? We both have had CRS for
years. But we still hope for a complete recovery. He moves his left leg and
arm and leg a lot and I keep doing range of motion on the right. He'll
probably come out of this and punch me. (She and I have been friends since early grade school. It is our way to minimize anything serious...his not waking up yet is serious to her.)

Our girls have been in constant touch and it is good to hear voices from
home, as I do in your emails. It would be very lonely otherwise. I mainly
read at night as there is no good English TV channels. My girls have gone
to our house and gathered up my extra rejection drugs as iI will run out
soon. They will refill the ones necessary and then send them all fed ex. I
hope we don't get arrested for exporting drugs!!

It is 6:15 pm here...8 hours ahead of MN so I will head for my room and a
hot bath. Keep the prayers coming, please.
...end of excerpt.

Anyone have any helpful advice?
Old 09-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Platinum member
Unhappy So sorry!!

Susan...this is so scary and so sad! I wish I could offer some advice....only to make sure she talks constantly to the embassy...and her insurance companies. It may be helpful to have her call her contacts in MN....doctors and any POA's, attournies, etc....she needs to make sure that she can stay there as long as she wants...and will still be able to get her own medicines. Is there anyone in MN that can go to her...that can help her or give her a respite.....

If she is the one that needed the wheelchair in the first place....she needs someone to help her...so she can help her friend! Is there a family member or another caregiver that can go help?

I can only offer my prayers...and support....God Bless her....and her friends!

Suzy Toronto
Old 09-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Eternal Member

OMG Susan -

What a complete nightmare and terribly frightening. I can't even imagine handling that alone. Surely there is someone who can be with her. Do they have children?
I agree with mariab............much to think about.

Please, Susan, tell her your friends are are praying for her.

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:30 AM

Susan, my thoughts and prayers are with your friend.

This may seem a little strange but a collegue of mine had a heart attack in Europe, and because he paid for his ticket with American Express his air ambulance flight back to the state when he was stable enough to be transported cost him essentially nothing.

just a thought
Old 09-15-2008, 01:39 AM
Gold member

Susan I am so sorry about your friends ordeal and wish I had some good advice for her. What a hardship to be alone in a foreign country and need medical attention for a dear one. I will keep them both in my prayers. Never under estimate the power of prayer.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 09-15-2008, 02:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikark View Post
Susan I am so sorry about your friends ordeal and wish I had some good advice for her. What a hardship to be alone in a foreign country and need medical attention for a dear one. I will keep them both in my prayers. Never under estimate the power of prayer.

Susan, that is a really scary story. My prayers go out to your friend. Thank heavens he has a chance of complete recovery.

Interesting comment from Serenity Seeker about using an AMEX card. It pays to check on these things.

When I travel I always take a file with all my medical records, copies of MRI's pertaining to a medical condition I have, etc. I also wear a medic alert bracelet.

I guess as we age, if we want to travel, this is a risk we are all taking.
A long and healthy life isn't promised to any of us. It is so easy to take good health for granted when you have it.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:26 AM
Gold member

Thank you my friends. This really is a horrible situation. My friend, best friend since 2nd grade, had a double lung transplant 5 years ago. She has been in and out of the hospital ever since...but nothing keeps her down.

Her husband, hers and my friend since middle school, has had some serious heart problems, but has always been there for her, for years.

Please do keep them in your prayers. They are two of the nicest people I have ever known.

They do have two daughters, who are probably panting at the bit to go to the aid of their parents, and I can just hear my friend telling them that it isn't necessary, what could they do, etc.

The only good thing about this, is that my friend is visiting her husband in a hospital. If she has anything go wrong with her, at least she is in the right place to receive care.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Gold member

This is HB's reply to me.

From Hyacinth

Please send the following to Susan and Tom as I can not and post the following under Travel Forum under the topic Susan just started. I am in Copenhagen working at the moment.

One of the easiest ways to get assistance is to contact the Mormon Church, if they are there or another similar church.

When I was in Cuenca, Ecuador after a horrifiic car accident a friend of ours contacted the Mormon Church and volunteers came to visit me each day, assisted in any way they could including acting as translators. They came every day for one month.

Not once did they proselytize. I have only the most positive words to day about the assistance they offered me.

If you have Travel Insurance and take the policy that covers events that happened to your friend she would be reimbursed for all of the monies she spent. Tell her, when she is able to do so, to check her insurance policy.

She and her family are in my prayers, thoughts and under a white light.

HB
-----------------------------------------------------------------
My comment...Thanks HB for your help and kindness.

For anyone who has read this.
My friend's husband is still in a coma. Their daughters are flying to Helsinki tonight. Please keep them in your prayers. Thank you.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:27 AM

Susan, I can only offer positive thoughts and powerful prayers, but please know I will keep them coming until your friends are safe and well at home.
md blondie
Old 09-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Platinum member

Susan, I am also saying prayers for your friend and his family. I also am thinking of you.

The Villages Florida
Old 09-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Gold member

Susan, please email me if you have any questions or if you think I may be of assistance in any way.

I know I am not in the states but I am only an email message away.

Please tell your friend to contact IAMAT. They will give you a list of western Trained doctors and hospitals. http://www.iamat.org/

I have used this organization in quite a few different countries and have always been extremely happy with the doctors and services I have received.

I hope your friends husband comes out of his coma quickly.

My thoughts, prayers, well wishes go out to all of them. I wish I had a magic wand and could make all of their problems disappear.

HB
Old 09-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Gold member

Thanks to all of you for your prayers and positive thoughts. They mean a lot. I definitely believe in the power of prayer, so please keep them in your thoughts.

HB I am forwarding all the ideas that you send to my friends. Hope they will be helpful to them.

I am so glad their daughters are flying to be with them. They are wonderful girls, very loving, intelligent and resourceful. I am very relieved.

Thanks again.

Susan
Old 09-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Just Susan
In your original post you asked us to think about how we would handle such a tragic situation as you described. It sounds like your friend was prepared..very prepared, but even under the best of circumstances, there are very trying times. Im sure not having family close by is very difficult. It sounds like she did everything right and got to the embassy staff who assisted her and fortunatley had travel insurance to cover the inevitable costs associated with this event. Only time will dictate the outcome but all of us that travel need to be aware of what to do in similar situations. Thanks for posting the story and we allcertainly hope all the best for your friend.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.