Hotels South of Atlanta

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2016, 06:49 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Question Hotels South of Atlanta

Can someone recommend a nice hotel (from fairly recent experience) somewhere between south of Atlanta and the Florida line?

It does not need to be pet-friendly.

Thank you.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Is it for someone driving down from up north somewhere? We used to drive from Michigan to Key West every winter and found the hotels in south Georgia to be sub par. We rearranged our trip to end a day just south of Atlanta so we could skip over south Georgia the next day. There are some Drury Inns scattered about. One is just south of Atlanta. They are decent and during the week have a "heavy" happy hour with enough food to make a meal out of, plus three free drinks per person.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:30 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Is it for someone driving down from up north somewhere? We used to drive from Michigan to Key West every winter and found the hotels in south Georgia to be sub par. We rearranged our trip to end a day just south of Atlanta so we could skip over south Georgia the next day. There are some Drury Inns scattered about. One is just south of Atlanta. They are decent and during the week have a "heavy" happy hour with enough food to make a meal out of, plus three free drinks per person.

Oh, C, I know what you mean.

We are coming from Ohio. Mr. Boomer would drive it in one day. We have done that, but I finally played my Princess card and won't do that anymore. Our drive is actually probably too short to do two days but I think it is too long for one day.

(I would never have made it as one of those women who went West on a wagon train. The iPad with AT&T and my Kindle at least help to make that I-75 drive somewhat tolerable -- although I know Mr. Boomer probably misses those helpful driving tips I can't give him when I am so occupied.)

North of Atlanta is easy for hotels but south of Atlanta is a stretch without much choice. And Georgia is one tall state. There was a Hilton Garden in McDonough where we stayed a long time ago, but I don't know how it is now, and I would like to get farther south.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

I always try to get at least south of Atlanta when driving down from up north. Even if I have to fight rush hour 2 through 8 PM in Atlanta. Morning Rush hour north of Atlanta is really bad especially with road construction at least till you get after the loop. McDonough Ga. about 20 miles pass the airport with lots and wide range of hotels, Easy off and on plus when you leave no bumper to bumper traffic going south of Atlanta. I go straight through Atlanta, with the HOV lanes, straight through, and 18 wheel traffic mostly taking the loop IMO is easier. Done the loop and IMO it just as bad or worse traffic and longer.

Google
Old 12-13-2016, 09:55 AM

Try LaQuinta Stockbridge GA about 30 miles South of Atlanta.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:17 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

What we find helpful is the Georgia Welcome Station just south of Chattanooga. They will even make a reservation for you. You can also pick up the Georgia Traveler and do your own thing. The Drury in a good choice south of Atlanta but we have not stayed there for a while. Since Chattanooga is our halfway point, we have been stopping at Dalton, Georgia at a Country Inn and suites and then hitting Atlanta after the "big rush" and going straight through in the HOVA lane.

The week between Christmas and New Years patience will be your friend while traveling south to Florida. Last year we traveled through Atlanta on New Years Day and it was the least amount of traffic I've ever seen in Atlanta. Just a thought if the traffic is a major concern to you. We are retired so don't "sweat" an extra hour or so! Happy Trails!
Old 12-13-2016, 11:06 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,249 Times in 362 Posts

Go to Macon, GA (about 1 hour south of Atlanta). Lots of choices on Expedia.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 12-13-2016, 11:24 AM
Platinum member

We love Drury Inn. Just make sure you park close to the hotel under the lights. The last 2 times we stayed in Macon several cars were broken into (literally: the windows were shattered and glass was everywhere). This happened last December and December 2014, both times close to Christmas.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2016, 08:12 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
We love Drury Inn. Just make sure you park close to the hotel under the lights. The last 2 times we stayed in Macon several cars were broken into (literally: the windows were shattered and glass was everywhere). This happened last December and December 2014, both times close to Christmas.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

I will continue to avoid Macon.

- - - - -
Topspinmo and justjim, Mr. Boomer likes the same route you do through Atlanta.
- - - - -
I have been wondering about looking at McDonough again. It has been a few years since we stayed there. If I remember right, there are 2 or maybe 3 exits.
- - - - -
Last time, we left later in the day and stopped in Kennesaw, but that's north. If we leave early this time, we would like to get a lot farther along.

Thank you to all my fellow I-75ers for answering here and trying to help me figure this out.

Last edited by Boomer; 12-13-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:31 PM
Gold member

Have stayed many times at the Comfort Suites at Locust Grove GA. And will stay there on our next trip from Indiana to The Villages. Stayed there last in August.

See link below.

Choice Hotels
Old 12-13-2016, 10:07 PM
Default Hotel south of Atlanta

We like the Comfort Inn in Medonough, about 20 miles south of Atlanta. You can get the info at the Georgia welcome center on 75. I believe it is exit 216 or 218.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:58 PM
Default Hotels south of Atlanta

We found the same problem and have ended up staying at the Holiday inn in Stockbridge, just south of Atlanta. Good parking and nice hotel.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:57 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
What we find helpful is the Georgia Welcome Station just south of Chattanooga. They will even make a reservation for you. You can also pick up the Georgia Traveler and do your own thing. The Drury in a good choice south of Atlanta but we have not stayed there for a while. Since Chattanooga is our halfway point, we have been stopping at Dalton, Georgia at a Country Inn and suites and then hitting Atlanta after the "big rush" and going straight through in the HOVA lane.

The week between Christmas and New Years patience will be your friend while traveling south to Florida. Last year we traveled through Atlanta on New Years Day and it was the least amount of traffic I've ever seen in Atlanta. Just a thought if the traffic is a major concern to you. We are retired so don't "sweat" an extra hour or so! Happy Trails!

Thanks. I was all set to try your New Years Day idea, but we can't get away from the cold north that soon. (sigh)

From suggestions here, I am going to look at Stockbridge or maybe try McDonough again, even though we would like to get farther along.

Any more ideas from anyone?

Thank you.

Last edited by Boomer; 12-17-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
atlanta, south, line, florida, pet-friendly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.