Key West

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2014, 09:53 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts
Default Key West

I would like to visit Key West by car. Never been past Miami. Is it a long drive from TV? Where would be a good place to stay? Any suggestions?
Old 01-08-2014, 10:09 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I would like to visit Key West by car. Never been past Miami. Is it a long drive from TV? Where would be a good place to stay? Any suggestions?
Three hour drive (past Miami).............it's beautiful.

We stay at Casa Marina Beach.......pricey, but out-of-the-ballpark place. They actually had missiles on the beach during the Cuba opportunity.

Places we love to eat: Blue Heaven; Schooner's Wharf; El Siboney; Better Than Sex (for dessert.....amazing)

Enjoy
Old 01-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Pier House is lovely too. It's a bit of a hike from here to KW. It takes us around 7 hours to get to Islamorada (MM 80 or thereabouts). Once you get to Homestead, FL, it takes three hours, depending on day of the week and traffic, to get to Key West.

Try to time your arrival mid week, as there are many people from the mainland who have weekend places down the Keys, and Friday/Saturday traffic is bad.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:18 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

Old 01-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Sage
Default Took us almost 8 hours

We just drove home yesterday from Key West. It took just under 8 hours (maybe 7:45?), from Mallory Square to Mallory Square .

We used the Florida Turnpike and saw no traffic. We left Key West around 8:15 AM. I averaged about 5-7 MPH over the posted limit on the Turnpike (and I was not the fastest by any means).

It took longer than I thought from Key West to the Turnpike on Route 1, but it is a very pretty drive.

My expertise ends there. It was our first visit and we were only there two days. As Arnold would say "I will be back....". We stayed at the Pier House in what is called a Lanai Room.

This is the view from our second story room. I only had a phone to take pictures with, but you get the jist. Through the trees you can almost make out the pool area.

The Villages Florida

The Pier House is right on the water. If you have more money than me, this picture is from a deck right under some rooms. I suspect they are the dock side suites? How about this view as you read the paper on your balcony?

The Villages Florida
Old 01-08-2014, 11:03 AM
Sage

Your phone takes lovely pictures.

Sigh... I love that place.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:17 AM

It is about 8 hours from tv. Worth the drive once you start down through the keys. Can be slow going as some of the road is one lane no passing. We stay at the crown royal as it is right on duval st. And you can walk to everything.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

We prefer to be close to Mallory Square, so we stay at La Concha which is a Crowne Royal Key West hotel right on Duval Street. It's the hotel where Hemingway frequently stayed, very elegant and old worldy. Lots of big leather furniture and dark wood - very Cuban in style. When we are in Key West we like the night life, so we like to be right in the mix of what is happening and just walk from the hotel to everything. We also fly from Orlando to Key West, we have driven, but you lose a day to driving whereas flying is just an hour, and it is really inexpensive. But, as we always say, to each his own. Drive this year to see just what it is like.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Your phone takes lovely pictures.

Sigh... I love that place.

But Cyndy. Do you have to run around with your naked body painted if you live there?

I had better say "JUST KIDDING" before I get reported.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:29 PM

Look at the website for Simonton Court. Away from the commercialized but close enough to all activities to walk. Pack a lunch and stop at Baha Honda about halfway down for a picnic. Go to Little Palm Island for lunch, dinner if you can afford it. Blue Heaven for bananas foster.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:01 PM

And the Hog Fish saloon on Stock Island is great!!! Meet some of the locals that stay away from Duval St.

I second the vote for Casa Marina Resort (a Waldorf Astoria property). A great place for that special occasion trip!!
Old 01-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
But Cyndy. Do you have to run around with your naked body painted if you live there?

I had better say "JUST KIDDING" before I get reported.
Only in October!
Old 01-08-2014, 02:07 PM
Sage

For a Keysian feel, The Eden House is a great place. It's more like a compound of buildings, offering everything from European-style share a bath to private rooms with bath, cottage, suites, all surrounding a swimming pool. It's been around forever, in the 1100 block of Fleming St. Quieter than directly downtown, but no water view.

Here is a shot of the cottage we rented for 6 winters--2br/2bth, wraparound picket fence, great for the dog. Wraparound covered porch, great for humans and the dog. It's at the quieter end of Old Town, one mile from Duval. Good for a working gal and her dog.

Also a shot of sunset at White St. Pier, which was walking distance from the house. Every evening they have a sunset party there with dogs having the run of the pier.

The only place in the US I'd rather be than TV is KW.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	P2230332.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	673.1 KB
ID:	29782   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0164.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	912.2 KB
ID:	29783  
Old 01-08-2014, 03:16 PM

Has anyone gotten to Key West by driving to Fort Myers and then taking the ferry to Key West?

John
Old 01-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Has anyone gotten to Key West by driving to Fort Myers and then taking the ferry to Key West?

John
We had friends who did it. Actually, they tried to do it twice, but the first time, the sea was too choppy or the winds too high, and the sailing was canceled. So it's kind of iffy.

The second time they had no problem.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.