Key West Trip Report

Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2023, 12:19 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts
Default Key West Trip Report

The idea of driving to an island paradise in the middle of the ocean has fascinated me since I was a kid (not to mention the image of Jamie Lee Curtis dangling from a bridge while Arnold rescues her with a Harrier jump-jet!). So when we finally realized we had a week with nothing else going on, we drove down to check it out.

OK, the over-ocean drive was pretty cool, even if there was only one giant bridge. It was almost an hour away from Key West, so you had to wonder why it took Arnold in a jet so long to stop that truck with the nuke. As we were driving over it, I realized that the whole scene had taken place on that little one-lane broken bridge down there next to us, about 20 feet above the ocean, not way up here where we were. Oh, well, that's Hollywood, for you! It was still neat to count down the tiny islands as we drove through them, glimpsing ocean between the condos on both sides of the road.

We rented this great little apartment a couple of blocks off of Duval -- Courtney's Place, room C7 -- for $200/night. It was in a little courtyard surrounded by "Conch" houses that had been converted to rooms and suites. Ours had a privacy-fenced front entry porch as well as a back door entrance to Petronia Street. It had an entire kitchenette, complete with granite counters, full-size fridge, microwave, and a stovetop, in a little alcove off the sitting area. There was a leather hide-a-bed sofa at the foot of the king-size bed, and the floors were Mexican tile. Very nice. They were also very dog-friendly, and even had parking (since we arrived on a Wednesday -- it was full by the weekend). But you don't need a car on the island, so we never moved it. There was a free Duval Loop bus stop one block away. We didn't bother, though. Mallory Square was only a half-mile walk.

I guess we should have done the "Cheeseburger in Paradise" instead of a sloppy joe at "Sloppy Joe's". $20 for a bun with some watery-thin yankee-style chile-with-beans poured over it. If there was any meat in it, I must have missed it. But the waitress was a sweet lady our own age, who brought our dog a bowl of water, so she got a good tip, anyway. Most places were dog-friendly, except for the Aquarium (we left him in the room for that one). Our other meals were also expensively mediocre tourist food, although we did eat at a taco joint near Mallory Square that had these strange little square tacos with pickled onions that were really good. Looking at the map, I think it must have been the Amigos Tortilla Bar.

I highly recommend the Trolley Tour (also not dog-friendly). I couldn't believe how many interesting little museums we drove by on the tour. The Aquarium was small but interesting. I never knew nurse sharks were such polite feeders. They basically lined up and took their turn as the lady fed them pieces of fish. We did the Shipwreck Museum, which was worth the money just for the guide in the basement. He was a real hoot.

We toured the Earnest Hemingway House, which they said was the largest private home on the island. I think they must have meant the lot (about 1-1/2 acres), because I doubt that the house was 2000 sqft, total. I counted 3 bedrooms. You'd think such a rich guy could have afforded a countertop in his bathroom! All the bathrooms were very primitive. He didn't build the house. It looks mid-century-modern from the outside, but it was actually built in the 1800's. He bought it for the taxes -- $3,000 -- after the original owner died and his heirs squandered it suing each other. It had stood empty for 30 years by the time Hemingway came along. It has the largest swimming pool on the island, which his wife built for the astronomical sum of $20,000, while he was off covering some war. When he came home to find that she had replaced his private boxing ring with a pool, he was so mad that he ran off with his 4th wife and moved to Cuba. He actually only lived in that house for 9 years, until 1939, but he wrote most of his best novels in his studio in the converted hay loft in the carriage house. For some unknown reason, they breed 6-toed cats there, and there are 40-or-so of them roaming the property, and little cat houses everywhere. Their watering trough is a fancy Spanish tile urinal that Ernie swiped from Sloppy Joe's, while he helped his friend, the owner, move all the furnishings to the present location (because the previous building raised the rent $1/month!).

The worst thing about Key West was the heat. In early June, it felt exactly like our native Houston in August, even though it never hit 90 degrees while we were there. The moment you stepped out of the A/C, you were drenched in sweat, even at 7:00 in the morning. The 2nd worst thing was the natives, who all seemed so desperately stoned at all hours of the day. You could get high from the smell of burning weed, just walking down the street. There is a place outside the public bathroom at Mallory Square, where the bums just sit half-dressed in lawn chairs all day, drinking out of paper bags (I'm not sure why they bother -- we never saw a cop the whole time we were there). And if the locals weren't trying to sell you something, they just seemed mad at you. The whole place reminded me of "Pleasure Island" from Pinocchio. I think I finally understand why the Lost Boys turned into "donkeys" after so much partying. Disney just cleaned up the original word that also means "donkey"!

We both grew up in Kansas watching Tarzan movies, so we had to drive back on the "Tamiami Trail" (highway 41), through the Everglades. We'd been raised to believe that the Everglades was the only authentic jungle in the United States, but I'm not sure why that myth exists in Kansas, since "glades" means "grass". I guess we still thought we might glimpse Johnny Weissmuller swinging though the trees on a grape vine. In fact, it looked exactly like western Kansas when the wheat is ready to cut. And we didn't see a single alligator or python in that big drainage ditch that follows the road. But when we got to the Big Cypress State Park Visitor Center, they did have a couple of captive alligators in a pond with a boardwalk overhead. We didn't get to look inside the building. It's only open on weekends. I read that it was originally an airport with a big four-engine Lockheed Constellation on the roof. I would have liked to have seen that, but, of course, that's probably the first thing the gooberment removed when they got the place. While Big Cypress Park was a little more jungly than the Everglades, it has nothing on the Atchafalaya Swamp in Louisiana.

Oh, if you do this trip, be sure to stop at the only place to eat on the Trail -- Joanie's Blue Crab. They were out of Blue Crab, but the fried grouper was great, and the service and ambiance even better. I wish I could remember the waitress's name. Lisa, maybe? She was hilarious. Also, check out the worlds smallest post office, across the street. "Lisa" was real jealous because the post office guy has A/C and the Blue Crab doesn't.

The rest of the trip was spent battling traffic through one wreck after another on Route 75. I felt like I'd been transported back in time to my old Houston commute -- only 4 hours longer.

But otherwise, we had a good time. There was a lot of stuff we didn't see, but I think this is going to be a "do once" sort of trip. The one thing that the heat down south and the traffic on Highway 75 taught me was that we sure picked the best part of Florida to live in!
Old 06-10-2023, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Thanks. I went many years ago. The only thing I remember was the sunset happy hour at the far end. I didn't leave anything there, so I don't need to go back.
Old 06-10-2023, 02:49 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Jus did the road-trip in February.
Better weather, double the prices.

They have golf carts to rent.............best way to get around down there.

Ask locals where to eat....................we found a few great places based on their recommendations.

Rent kayaks in the back waters.
Would recommend a tour guide...............very easy to get lost.

We really enjoyed the drive down.............next time we might take an extra down and back just to stay on a couple other Key's and enjoy local food.
Old 06-10-2023, 03:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

My son knew this trip was always on my "bucket List".
We both at the time lived up north, so we flew into Miami, rented a convertible and drove to Key Largo the first night, then
on to Key West.
It was a short trip for 3 days but a couple things to remember.

DON'T speed driving down, there's no mercy from the local authorities.
Try to make the trip on weekdays.
Fridays through Monday Highway 1 coming and going are full of party animals and lots of traffic.
Old 06-10-2023, 07:10 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts

This has been a major bucket list item my whole life - I plan to do the trip this year - probably October or November.
Old 06-10-2023, 09:47 PM
Gold member

Places to stop at on drive to Key West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbCj...dex=148&t=110s
Old 06-10-2023, 09:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Interesting trip report. Miami and island hopping are in my plans as part of a Key West vacation.
Old 06-10-2023, 10:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

Thanks for posting, sounds like an interesting and fun trip. Many years ago when our daughter graduated from college I took her on a father/daughter scuba diving trip/vacation to the Keys before she began her professional working career. We flew to Fort Lauderdale and rented a car and began our journey. We stayed in Marathon for several days as our home base. There was some good diving by boat from Marathon and we found a decent beach (there aren’t many beaches on the Keys) in Marathon named Sombrero beach. The night diving trip we did was especially cool. Marathon also had some outstanding and fun places to eat. The happy hour at the Sunset Grill and Raw Bar was a blast. Everyone got a free drink for the raucous nightly toast at sunset. The sushi at the Castaway Waterfront Restaurant and Sushi Bar was the best we ever had and breakfast at The Stuffed Pig is a must do for both the food and atmosphere. We took a day trip across the seven mile bridge and hit a nice beach in Big Pine then went out to Key West for the afternoon/evening. We found Key West to be interested, but not necessarily our kind of place. Way too crowded, overpriced, and honky tonk. A few hours there was enough for us and we were glad to return to Marathon. The last three days of our trip we stayed in Key Largo. The first two days we did lots of diving and found a couple of good restaurants. The last day we did a swim with the dolphins adventure that was really fun and entertaining. There is lots to do on the Keys including excellent charter boat fishing from Islamorada. One of these years (hopefully soon) my wife and I hope to take an extended road trip there from our Villages home and drive through the Everglades, definitely a bucket list thing.
Old 06-11-2023, 09:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
This has been a major bucket list item my whole life - I plan to do the trip this year - probably October or November.
November 5th thru 12th 2023 the offshore power boat races will be there. It's a fun time to visit the island. On Friday night the boats are trailored and lined up along Duval Street.

Last edited by bagboy; 06-11-2023 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-11-2023, 03:18 PM
Default key west

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
The idea of driving to an island paradise in the middle of the ocean has fascinated me since I was a kid (not to mention the image of Jamie Lee Curtis dangling from a bridge while Arnold rescues her with a Harrier jump-jet!). So when we finally realized we had a week with nothing else going on, we drove down to check it out.

OK, the over-ocean drive was pretty cool, even if there was only one giant bridge. It was almost an hour away from Key West, so you had to wonder why it took Arnold in a jet so long to stop that truck with the nuke. As we were driving over it, I realized that the whole scene had taken place on that little one-lane broken bridge down there next to us, about 20 feet above the ocean, not way up here where we were. Oh, well, that's Hollywood, for you! It was still neat to count down the tiny islands as we drove through them, glimpsing ocean between the condos on both sides of the road.

We rented this great little apartment a couple of blocks off of Duval -- Courtney's Place, room C7 -- for $200/night. It was in a little courtyard surrounded by "Conch" houses that had been converted to rooms and suites. Ours had a privacy-fenced front entry porch as well as a back door entrance to Petronia Street. It had an entire kitchenette, complete with granite counters, full-size fridge, microwave, and a stovetop, in a little alcove off the sitting area. There was a leather hide-a-bed sofa at the foot of the king-size bed, and the floors were Mexican tile. Very nice. They were also very dog-friendly, and even had parking (since we arrived on a Wednesday -- it was full by the weekend). But you don't need a car on the island, so we never moved it. There was a free Duval Loop bus stop one block away. We didn't bother, though. Mallory Square was only a half-mile walk.

I guess we should have done the "Cheeseburger in Paradise" instead of a sloppy joe at "Sloppy Joe's". $20 for a bun with some watery-thin yankee-style chile-with-beans poured over it. If there was any meat in it, I must have missed it. But the waitress was a sweet lady our own age, who brought our dog a bowl of water, so she got a good tip, anyway. Most places were dog-friendly, except for the Aquarium (we left him in the room for that one). Our other meals were also expensively mediocre tourist food, although we did eat at a taco joint near Mallory Square that had these strange little square tacos with pickled onions that were really good. Looking at the map, I think it must have been the Amigos Tortilla Bar.

I highly recommend the Trolley Tour (also not dog-friendly). I couldn't believe how many interesting little museums we drove by on the tour. The Aquarium was small but interesting. I never knew nurse sharks were such polite feeders. They basically lined up and took their turn as the lady fed them pieces of fish. We did the Shipwreck Museum, which was worth the money just for the guide in the basement. He was a real hoot.

We toured the Earnest Hemingway House, which they said was the largest private home on the island. I think they must have meant the lot (about 1-1/2 acres), because I doubt that the house was 2000 sqft, total. I counted 3 bedrooms. You'd think such a rich guy could have afforded a countertop in his bathroom! All the bathrooms were very primitive. He didn't build the house. It looks mid-century-modern from the outside, but it was actually built in the 1800's. He bought it for the taxes -- $3,000 -- after the original owner died and his heirs squandered it suing each other. It had stood empty for 30 years by the time Hemingway came along. It has the largest swimming pool on the island, which his wife built for the astronomical sum of $20,000, while he was off covering some war. When he came home to find that she had replaced his private boxing ring with a pool, he was so mad that he ran off with his 4th wife and moved to Cuba. He actually only lived in that house for 9 years, until 1939, but he wrote most of his best novels in his studio in the converted hay loft in the carriage house. For some unknown reason, they breed 6-toed cats there, and there are 40-or-so of them roaming the property, and little cat houses everywhere. Their watering trough is a fancy Spanish tile urinal that Ernie swiped from Sloppy Joe's, while he helped his friend, the owner, move all the furnishings to the present location (because the previous building raised the rent $1/month!).

The worst thing about Key West was the heat. In early June, it felt exactly like our native Houston in August, even though it never hit 90 degrees while we were there. The moment you stepped out of the A/C, you were drenched in sweat, even at 7:00 in the morning. The 2nd worst thing was the natives, who all seemed so desperately stoned at all hours of the day. You could get high from the smell of burning weed, just walking down the street. There is a place outside the public bathroom at Mallory Square, where the bums just sit half-dressed in lawn chairs all day, drinking out of paper bags (I'm not sure why they bother -- we never saw a cop the whole time we were there). And if the locals weren't trying to sell you something, they just seemed mad at you. The whole place reminded me of "Pleasure Island" from Pinocchio. I think I finally understand why the Lost Boys turned into "donkeys" after so much partying. Disney just cleaned up the original word that also means "donkey"!

We both grew up in Kansas watching Tarzan movies, so we had to drive back on the "Tamiami Trail" (highway 41), through the Everglades. We'd been raised to believe that the Everglades was the only authentic jungle in the United States, but I'm not sure why that myth exists in Kansas, since "glades" means "grass". I guess we still thought we might glimpse Johnny Weissmuller swinging though the trees on a grape vine. In fact, it looked exactly like western Kansas when the wheat is ready to cut. And we didn't see a single alligator or python in that big drainage ditch that follows the road. But when we got to the Big Cypress State Park Visitor Center, they did have a couple of captive alligators in a pond with a boardwalk overhead. We didn't get to look inside the building. It's only open on weekends. I read that it was originally an airport with a big four-engine Lockheed Constellation on the roof. I would have liked to have seen that, but, of course, that's probably the first thing the gooberment removed when they got the place. While Big Cypress Park was a little more jungly than the Everglades, it has nothing on the Atchafalaya Swamp in Louisiana.

Oh, if you do this trip, be sure to stop at the only place to eat on the Trail -- Joanie's Blue Crab. They were out of Blue Crab, but the fried grouper was great, and the service and ambiance even better. I wish I could remember the waitress's name. Lisa, maybe? She was hilarious. Also, check out the worlds smallest post office, across the street. "Lisa" was real jealous because the post office guy has A/C and the Blue Crab doesn't.

The rest of the trip was spent battling traffic through one wreck after another on Route 75. I felt like I'd been transported back in time to my old Houston commute -- only 4 hours longer.

But otherwise, we had a good time. There was a lot of stuff we didn't see, but I think this is going to be a "do once" sort of trip. The one thing that the heat down south and the traffic on Highway 75 taught me was that we sure picked the best part of Florida to live in!
Thank you for such an informative review>
Old 06-12-2023, 04:33 AM
Send a message via AIM to JudyLife

Key West was a ‘bucket list’ trip for me so found a 4 night cruise stopping in Key West & Nassau in Feb. Perfect. Hope to return one January for a few days. Loved the chocolate covered key lime pie ice cream on a stick too!!
Old 06-12-2023, 05:27 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Dessert......................

Here is a specific, if you want an over-the-top treat.

Better Than Sex
926 Simonton St.,
Key West, FL 33040

Old 06-12-2023, 05:28 AM

The last week in October is Fantasy Fest and prices on hotels escalate…fun to go to but crowded.
Early Nov are the offshore boat races…again, hotel prices are high but the races are always great.
Old 06-12-2023, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post

You had me until dog friendly. Too gross for me to think of all the dogs on the bed and furniture over the years! Yuck.
Old 06-12-2023, 06:21 AM
Default Paradise Lost

I lived in S. Florida and the keys all my life until I moved here 8 years ago. Started fishing Key West and the lower keys 50 years ago,,and it was Paradise! One could go almost anywhere, catch a grouper or a snapper, take it to a local restaurant and they would clean and cook it for your lunch or dinner. Hardly anyone knows what FRESH fish really tastes like. Then the cruise ships came. 2 ships drop off 6,000 sunburned tourists on a 1 mile square island, back then 4 days a week and what had been Paradise turned into another trashy little tourist town just like where the cruise ships stop now in the islands. And now you can buy a cute litle 2 bedrm 1200sq ft house on a canal (ocean access) for about $2 milion. Gone like so many other things but so glad I got to live that life before it disappeared. Ron, Willard and the Lady R. What great memories.
Closed Thread

Tags
place, house, island, big, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.