Mediteranean cruise

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Default Re: Mediteranean cruise

You are very welcome. FYI, there is another hotel, I've not stayed at this one, but it is getting decent reviews on tripadvisor. Called "AC Diplomatic". It is located in the opposite direction from Plaza Catalunya about the same distance as the Regencia Colon. My son and daughter-in-law have just booked a room there for a post-cruise stay for a couple of days. It is about 30E more expensive, but you might give it a try if needed.

They booked there because they couldn't arrange a room at the Regencia (they waited until the last minute.)
Old 05-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Gold member

No, they have not yet built flood gates or figured out a solution. And if I recall correctly, St. Mark's Square is one of the lower points. When we first walked through the Square, we saw what appeared to be long, low tables stacked up on one side, and our first thought was 'flea market.' Silly thought! Those are the platforms that are set up for people to walk on at times of acqua alta. Frankly I'm not sure how predictable it is; it could well be exacerbated by the full moon and consequent higher tides. Maybe do a Google search for more info on this issue. And have a great trip!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Veteran member

We've been to Barcelona a few times and have stayed at both the Regency Colon (2 yrs ago) and last year at the Arch Las Rambles right on Las Rambles. We love Barcelona and stayed 3 nights each time in connection with a cruise. At the Arch Las Rambles we asked for a room in the back away from the noise since it's located right on Las Rambles. We found being on Las Rambles had some advantages for us since we were right on one of the most interesting streets in the world. The hotel itself was good, Breakfast was good, rates were reasonable, Staff was nice and helpful, room was very small (actually small takes on a whole new meaning) but it wasn't noisy and it was clean. This hotel couldn't be much closer to the ship yard so that was very nice for us. Our friends stayed at the Colon and we stayed at the Regency Colon on a previous visit. These hotels are a little farther from Las Rambles but you do get to see a bit of local streets on a easy walk there. The room if I remember were also small but larger then Arc Las Rambles. We do a lot of site seeing and walking and found each hotel served our needs well. BTW we didn't find the Colon Hotels wasn't any quieter then Arch Las Ramblus hotel.

A few tips in Barcelona:

1.Ask the price of the Sangria before buying it at the cafes right on Las Rambles. In general they don't show you the price outside on the menu but believe me you will pay an arm and leg for one. We had a lot of fun at the smallest bar in the world right outside the Arch Las Rambles hotel. The owner bar keep was very friendly and we had several good conversation with him. Its located on the first corner outside the hotel going away from the ocean. Its outside and there is only standing room or 2 or 3 people. Beer and wine was cheap and he even gave us free wine the our beer.

2. We found a great place for Pinchers - which are small little snacks you pick up with a tooth pick and save the picks on your plate to later pay by the tooth pick. I can't remember the name of it now right now - it was off one of the side streets between both hotels. Ask for a place that serves Pincher's. You have to stand, there are no seats and they pass the plates around with the pinchers so you can see what they look like before you try them. They are great! Its a fun and one of the more reasonable places to eat (You'll find local food expensive and you better like sea food with all the parts - we didn't)

3.Use the Double Decker bus to see the sites. You can get a all day or several day pass and they run frequent. You just hope on and off when you want. There are about 3 different routes to take and the pass lets you get on and off each bus.

4.Theres an opera right on Las Rambles that we enjoyed one night. I think we waited till after a certain time the day before the Opera and got discounted seats. I think they said after 4 they discount them and we showed up at 3:30 to ask if they were going to have any discounted seats and they gave them to us right away.

5. The Ship/Sea Muse mun at the end of Las Rambles is a lot more interesting then I thought it would be . Its worth a visit. A walk down to the pier is also interesting if you have the time.

6. Architecture in Barcelona is the most interesting in the world - you see it all from the Tour buses and then can get off and visit them on the stops.

7. One of the more reasonable meals we had was outside at the end of Las Rambles at a Hollywood Cafe. Believe it or not it was out first visit to one ever and in Barcelona the food was good and reasonable also.

Thats it > Tired of typing and have to start planning our cruise to Scandinavia and Russia from Harwich May 23 with RCL (anyone going on this cruise - We would love to hear from you ?).

If I get a chance later I'll comment on our recent Venice and Antarctica visits.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Great practical tips for Barcelona....thanks!
Old 05-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Gold member

Hi are you planning on taking any tours at the various ports you are stopping in?

HB
Old 05-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

WE lived in Europe for 4 years and visited most of the ports/cities that we are going to be visitng (although a number of years have passed) with the exception of Istanbul, Split Croatia and Myknosos. WE are planning a private tour of Istanbul to include the highlights (Palaces, markets etc) as well as Istanbul in the evening. The rest of the places we feel fairly comfortable with taking a train into Rome, subway into athens and the hydrofioil to Capri from naples and use other means of local transportation to get around. Cruise Critic is a big help for learning what to do at Port Cities and how to get around. We have already been to Pompei and that was definitely worth a visit. A big issue in booking tours especially from the ship are they are VERY VERY expensive now with the bad euro/dollar rate.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Gold member

Hi, I agree with you on the cost of booking tours through the cruise line. I use Port Promotions and Shore Trips. They have both been extremely reliable companies. What I am wondering is that for eight people it may be less expensive to use one of these companies to get around in Europe.

Have fun.

HB
Old 05-27-2008, 08:29 PM

Interesting comments vis-a-vis the two shore excursion companies. I'd not heard of them before. Learning more each day!

Thanks for the tips.

Dean

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.