Never cruised before

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2020, 11:03 AM

Wrong. More motion forward and higher.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:04 AM

You will hate the disoriented feeling of an inside cabin.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:07 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Take plenty of sunscreen and use it religiously, particularly on your face. When I was cruising frequently over a few years time my face aged considerably from the sun as the rays come not only directly from the sun but from reflection off the water.

Also, I gained weight on literally every cruise as the food was so tempting looking and tasty. Although I used the onboard gyms and walked the promenade decks I still gained weight. I learned to diet before and after cruises.

Although I love cruising it has been said cruising is for the newly wed, the nearly dead and the overfed. From my experiences I concur.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-16-2020, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,523 Times in 3,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Take plenty of sunscreen and use it religiously, particularly on your face. When I was cruising frequently over a few years time my face aged considerably from the sun as the rays come not only directly from the sun but from reflection off the water.

Also, I gained weight on literally every cruise as the food was so tempting looking and tasty. Although I used the onboard gyms and walked the promenade decks I still gained weight. I learned to diet before and after cruises.

Although I love cruising it has been said cruising is for the newly wed, the nearly dead and the overfed. From my experiences I concur.
Use sunscreen generously on your EARS and the back of your neck even if you wear long sleeves and wear a brimmed hat!

I have taken several cruises and I think I gained a pound on one of them, and lost weight on the others. How? I didn't pig out at every meal PLUS every snack PLUS every free tasting. I had a little of this, a little of that, and absolutely - extra bacon at breakfast because - bacon. I also only had usually 1-2 drinks per day instead of the 4-6 beers most drinkers drink on these things. And my drinks always have fruit juices or milk in them, so there were some nutrients mixed in with the booze.

I also walked around 5 times more than I usually do, just around the decks, plus on the shore excursions. I also danced around 20 minutes every night (combining every song that I actually danced to).
Old 02-16-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball wizard View Post
Sorry, not true... From cruise critic:

"The lower and more central you are in a ship, the less roll and sway you will feel. Even if you choose a balconied stateroom, choose the lowest level and the most midship one you can find. The higher decks and cabins at the very front (forward) or back (aft) of the ship will rock and roll the most."
Correct - not to belabor the point but any vessel or aircraft will rotate around its axes (plural of axis), located at or near the center of gravity (C.O.G.). The lateral axis, or pitch axis is an imaginary line running horizontally across the ship and through the center of gravity. A pitch motion is an up-or-down movement of the bow and stern around this lateral axis. Movement around the longitudinal axis (front to back) is "roll", like a chicken on a bbq pit. Movement around the vertical axis is termed yaw and is a right/left motion. All of these motions are minimized by being located as close to the C.O.G and where all three axes converge as possible. For example, in an airplane, the "best ride" is in an aisle seat over the wings.

FredF
Old 02-16-2020, 12:07 PM
Veteran member
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick2071 View Post
We have never been on a cruise and every time we fly I get sick, so we decided to try a cruise. What would you suggest 3,5 or 7 day travel. What are some of the pitfalls?
I would suggest a 1 hour boat trip on the ocean. You can go on the fishing boats for that amount of time. If you cannot take the movement of the ocean (which I cannot) you will be begging them to take off the boat in 20 minutes. I know the small boats are less stable than the big ships but people can and do get sick with either. I went on a cruise on a large ship and had to fly back to the US from one of the island stops. I still had motion sickness for 3 days later.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Use sunscreen generously on your EARS and the back of your neck even if you wear long sleeves and wear a brimmed hat!

I have taken several cruises and I think I gained a pound on one of them, and lost weight on the others. How? I didn't pig out at every meal PLUS every snack PLUS every free tasting. I had a little of this, a little of that, and absolutely - extra bacon at breakfast because - bacon. ...
My cruise exactly.... extra bacon...
Old 02-16-2020, 12:41 PM

As a person with a history of motion sickness, I always hated flying, but could also get nauseated in cars, buses, trains, etc. Sea sickness was the worst, from riverboats, lakes, glass bottom boats, whale watch tours, sailing, up to the largest cruise ships. Caribbean cruises I was anywhere from queasy to miserable. Wrist bands and ear patches did not work. Alaska inside passage with balcony cabin was the best, very smooth. Last cruise I took I ended up with MdDS; 8 weeks of severe vertigo after getting off a 5 day out of Tampa. No more boating for me.
Mal de debarquement - Wikipedia
If you still want to try it, go for the following:
Less stormy time of year on the open seas.
Larger ships more stable.
Mid ship cabin, lower levels. Don't look at the horizon.
Upon arrival, see the maitre d' to request the most forward table possible. Dining rooms are usually located at the tail end where there is the most motion and you could be too nauseous to eat.
Bring dramamine/meclizine.
Try a 3 day for your first time. It's one thing to be trapped on a flight for 3 - 6 hours. 5- 7 days on a moving ship can be agony.
Some people love cruising, but it's just not for everyone. Not fun and a waste of good money if all you can do is sit quietly or lie down and not walk around coz you feel sick. If you get queasy trying to read or look at a map in a moving vehicle, that might help you make your decision. Good luck!

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 02-16-2020, 12:55 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Oh, and I am prone to motion sickness. I have used dramamine which, like an antihistamine, makes me drowsy and scopolamine Scopolamine: Side Effects, Dosages, Treatment, Interactions, Warnings patches behind the ear which make me crazy. Sea bands work well for me and of course are not a drug, Sea Band USA

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-16-2020, 01:47 PM

Definitely go for seven days! With shorter cruises, the cruise ends just when you're starting to relax and get into the "rhythm" of things. Also, I highly recommend doing some research and doing your own shore excursions. Cruise ship excursions tend to be very crowded, leaving you very little time to enjoy. We've always had great luck booking our own...and the private companies that do these excursions are very aware of time constraints and when they need to get you back to board the ship. BTW, we LOVE Royal Caribbean the best!
Old 02-16-2020, 02:50 PM

Actually you have it totally backwards. I have had to make shipping arrangements for cargo containers and the higher you go on a ship, the more side to side motion will be present. The most stable location on the ship is as low as you can go, and as close to the center of the ship. This is why ice rinks which some ships provide skating entertainment are located on this part of the ship.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
One point about excursions we suggest you partake in those that are supported and sold by the cruise line.....the excursions assure you to be back to the ship on time....and the ship will not leave without you.
This is not exactly true. If you book a cruise line excursion and your group is late getting back the captain will try to wait for you. If he cannot wait (ships can be charged tens of thousands of dollars in some ports if they don't leave on schedule) the cruise line will arrange and pay for you to meet up with the ship in the next port.

If I am going to be in port for, say, 8 hours and want to do a shore excursion that lasts 7 hours, I would always book with the cruise line. If the excursion is just 3 or 4 hours I am fine with booking with a third party.

The major benefits of third party tours: (1) Usually cost much less and/or include more stops; (2) MUCH smaller group (a mini ban with 12 to 24 passengers versus a bus with 50 or 60).

kathy
Old 02-16-2020, 06:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I suggest you visit and join CruiseCritic.com. You will find a wealth of information on your ship, ratings by people who have cruised on it, meet up groups that will be sailing with you, optional tour operators and more. We have about 25 cruises under our belt (I know, we are rookies) but never cruise without doing the research on Cruise Critic. I'm also one that disagrees with Ed, I'm retired so get me somewhere the slowest possible way. I also recommend a balcony, nothing like sitting on the balcony and having breakfast and enjoying the solitude of watching the ocean go by.
Definitely, join Cruise Critic!

I have never sailed in an inside cabin. (I did have a cabin on a Royal Carib ship once that had a window that looked down on the promenade and didn't like it much.) I am fine with OV (ocean view) but hubby much prefers a balcony, as he likes to sit outside at night and listen to music. After reading about Diamond Princess, I will never again sail in a room without a balcony.

k.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorrable1 View Post
Start with a 3 day, that's what I did. Don't get an outside cabin. Way too much motion. You want an inside cabin in the middle of the ship. Also get a prescription for a scopolomine patch.
Three day cruises are full of people who want to get away for a long weekend and drink. Not recommended.

My first was 5 days but I should have done 7. You can always fly home from one of the ports if you are miserable (unless you are on a transatlantic cruise which are normally longer than 7 days) but you won't be miserable. Cruising is wonderful.

If you book with a good travel agent they will match you up with a cruise line, ship, and itinerary that suit your interests and your budget. There are many cruise lines but they appeal to different groups.

k.

PS -- Half the people on cruise ships walk around with those patches on their necks and most of them have never been sea sick. They just FEAR that they might be. Those things give you blurred vision and extremely dry mouth. I do not recommend using one unless you have a history of motion issues. Even if you do, this is what I recommend to my clients. Most remedies must be used prior to feeling sick. ReliefBand can be turned on after symptoms appear and it eliminates them. I won't cruise without mine.

ReliefBand: Robot Check

Last edited by kathyspear; 02-16-2020 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:25 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to rick2071

Thank you very much for taking the time to post al that information.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, day, 3, 5, suggest, travel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.