October transatlantic - celebrity eclipse

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default October transatlantic - celebrity eclipse

We are taking a transatlantic on the NEW Celebrity Eclipse this October and wondering if anyone has stopped in the ports of Le Harve or Cherbourg France. From Cherbourg we plan to rent a car and tour the Normandy beaches from WWII. ANy other suggestions especially for Le Harve...or for that matter Vigo Spain ???
Old 06-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Gold member

One of these days I hope to do a transatlantic cruise. Sorry I have no input on your questions, just had to post something, we are booked on the first cruise the Eclipse does out of Miami in November. Just got back from a cruise on the Solstice, great ship.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We are arriving in Miami on November 13th...so that must be the day you are departing. We are "Elite" Cruisers with Celebrity and definitely enjoy their style of cruising. For the first time we chose SELECT dining..always have been late diners in the past but we wanted to try this approach to see if we would like it. 6pm was always tooo early and 8:45 was starting to get tooo late. I know a big issue will be when can we see the shows since show times are based around the early and late dining times.

How are you planning to get to and from Miami? I was thinking of renting a car in Miami (Enterprise) and drive to TV !

Where are you from in PA...wife and I were born and raised in Scranton.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:12 AM
Gold member

When I had looked for cruises I was only looking for 7 day cruises, after your post I looked again and see they have a short 3 day cruise to the Bahamas on the 17th, then ours on the 20th.

I like the select dining, we did miss one show. If you plan ahead it shouldn't be an issue.

If this is your first cruise on a solstice class ship you're in for a treat, we had planned a trip on another Celebrity ship in November but switched to Eclipse after our Solstice cruise.

Our friends are flying in to Orlando to join us, we will meet them then drive to Miami.

We lived in the Reading area.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
We are taking a transatlantic on the NEW Celebrity Eclipse this October and wondering if anyone has stopped in the ports of Le Harve or Cherbourg France. From Cherbourg we plan to rent a car and tour the Normandy beaches from WWII. ANy other suggestions especially for Le Harve...or for that matter Vigo Spain ???
Be glad you are doing the crossing from Fla and not NY, the north atlantic can be a bit of a problem in the fall. We did the crossing and then a 6 day spain and Portugal (Iberian) back in the 80's and ran into a huricane on the way back. We loved Vigo. And have friends who go every summer from London. It has been a beach resort destination for the Brits for along time and alot of the people speak english. It is a smalish city, with all the stores one would expect in a major metro area. There is a nice old castle away out of town that I am sure will be on the ships tour list(if you are on the ship at this point.) If you are touring at this point it is one of those national registry places (sorry can't remember what the spanish call them)where you can book a room for a few days, but must do so well in advance. It was plesant and had a nice view, however that was 25 years ago so I would check the recomendations on the net. The area they call the American beach was a very nice beach. My mother was with us and she spoke spanish so this may have made the visit better for us, but I remember a great couple of days, and a warm and friendly people. My friends do say however that the reason all the houses have metal rolldown shutters is one for the heat but mostly to keep out the theives.

Last edited by TrudyM; 06-30-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Default Mont St. Michel

I go to LeHavre several times a year on business. My favorites are the American cemetery at Normandy and Mont St. Michel.

I don't think I am allowed to post links yet. Mont St. Michel Its not too far from Normandy be car and you will never forget either place.

I would put a link but don't think I am allowed to do that yet.

Ed
Old 10-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Default Le Havre

There is not much to do and see in Le Havre. People on our cruise rented cars and toured the countryside. The said Hon Fluer was beautiful. Le hHavre is just a big city and port
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.