Packing and luggage

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Gold member
Default Packing and luggage

These comments were written in another section of this forum in response to a question. I thought that others on this forum might find this helpful.

"One of my biggest problems will be overweight luggage for a 3 week trip. I have a Samsonite hard side 3 suiter (29in) and I think that weighs close to 50lbs to start! I imagine private luggage service to Europe is expensive..how do I find out?"

Would it pay for you to go to some yard sales and look for lighter luggage? There are luggage services available including Fed Ex and UPS. There are other services that I have heard about. If I still have the info I will post it.

When we were returning to Buenos Aires we were over the legal weight limit. What we did was put all the extra items in one suitcase. This way we only had to pay for one over weight suitcase. In this case it cost us $25.

If you have items that are not fragile I have seen people travel with a multi colored plastic bag with zipper. That way the bag may only weigh a couple of pounds and you have 48 pounds worth of items you can pack.

I am not going to say what my pocketbook weighs when we travel.

Hope this helps.

HB
Old 05-27-2008, 11:11 PM
Default Re: PACKING AND LUGGAGE

For years we used a light weight duffel type bag. We packed it in one suitcase and used it for dirty clothes. Then the souvenirs could go into a suitcase.
New Jersey
Old 05-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Gold member
Default Re:Packing and Luggage

Good idea. I like the bags with wheels and a handle. I know they make the duffels that way now and when we travel I have a similar bag that gets all the soft items. It is amazing how much you can stuff into those bags. The only thing that stops me from packing more into those bags is the weight limitations imposed by the airlines.

We also put items that are breakable or liquor and/or wine into our regular suitcase. These items are wrapped in our clothing, then put them in a zip lock bag (if they fit into one) and then put into a plastic bag. We always place these items in the middle of the suitcase and try to put something hard under the items and over them. We have never had anything break on us.

HB
Old 05-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Default Re: PACKING AND LUGGAGE

We had one bottle that broke out of many, many trips. We do what you do, and I think, perhaps, I wasn't as careful with that one bottle.
New Jersey
Old 05-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Packing and Luggage

njgranny, things happen. I would look at this as an excellent reason to go back to the place where you bought the bottle - that is if you want to.

HB
Old 05-31-2008, 12:17 AM
Sage
Default Re: Packing and luggage

We saw another couple do it, so the last time we took a cruise we put our liquor into the plastic water bottles. My vanilla rum looks just like water in my Fiji bottle! LOL :bigthumbsup: Also, I roll my clothes. Learned this from a flight attendant friend and you can really pack more into a smaller suitcase and it doesn't wrinkle.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:06 AM
Gold member

Hi, by rolling up your clothing you do not get wrinkles. No ironing. I agree with you on this.

Chel Can I have some of your Fiji water? One problem with that is if the liquor is a gift.

I also sort my underwear and put it in plastic zip loc bags. That way it is easy to find, especially if we are on a road trip.

HB
Old 05-31-2008, 01:11 AM
Sage

LOL HB, yes you can have some of my Fiji water. I thought you were talking about bringing liquor aboard ship. We always sneak some on. That's so funny because I do the same thing with my underwear! Two great minds think alike! :-*
Old 05-31-2008, 02:51 AM
Gold member

It is lucky they do not sniff all the water bottles or medicine bottles that come aboard. Let's not forget the mouth wash bottles.

I guess if it was some decades ago it would be in the hot water bottles.

Yes, great minds think alike.

HB
Old 06-07-2008, 12:08 AM

HB, I'm always up to go back! That's why I don't worry if we miss something on a trip. Gives you a great excuse to return.

Jan
New Jersey
Old 06-07-2008, 12:23 AM
Gold member

NJ - Great minds think alike.

Our bags are always packed and ready to go. We have doubles on many items and if I forget something - just another reason to explore a market or look for yard sales.

HB
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.