Quick Overnight Beach Getaway

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2023, 11:09 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,640 Times in 444 Posts
Default Quick Overnight Beach Getaway

Since I’m still a newbie to Florida (just 8 months) - I need a recommendation for a 2-night stay along either the Gulf or Atlantic coasts. So far, since I moved to TV, I’ve visited Clearwater Beach, which was nice, but I’m looking for something a little less crowded. Before moving to Florida, I’ve visited Pensacola/Destin/Lauderdale-Miami/Key West, so I’m familiar with those areas. I’ve been told and read that Daytona Beach isn’t all that great. I’m looking for someplace where I can get really good seafood, has some nice walking trails or boardwalk along the beach, and is relaxing. I want to take advantage of the lower hotel costs this time of year, and before things get really crowded during high season. I’m willing to drive up to 4 hours from The Villages. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:18 AM

Go to Anna Maria, Bradenton Beach, Holmes beach. They are all together. Go to Cortez for the best freshest seafood anywhere. You can watch it come off the boat. You can thank me later.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Since I’m still a newbie to Florida (just 8 months) - I need a recommendation for a 2-night stay along either the Gulf or Atlantic coasts. So far, since I moved to TV, I’ve visited Clearwater Beach, which was nice, but I’m looking for something a little less crowded. Before moving to Florida, I’ve visited Pensacola/Destin/Lauderdale-Miami/Key West, so I’m familiar with those areas. I’ve been told and read that Daytona Beach isn’t all that great. I’m looking for someplace where I can get really good seafood, has some nice walking trails or boardwalk along the beach, and is relaxing. I want to take advantage of the lower hotel costs this time of year, and before things get really crowded during high season. I’m willing to drive up to 4 hours from The Villages. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Try Treasure Island area about 30 minutes south of Clearwater. We used to own a condo near Caddy's. There were times that we were the only ones on the beach.
Old 08-08-2023, 12:21 PM

I’ve never been but I’ve been told Honeymoon beach is nice. No personal experience
Old 08-08-2023, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

My wife and I enjoyed the Cocoa Beach area.
Lots of good walks.
Not sure about sea food restaurants, although there were plenty of places to eat.
Time your stay with a space launch from Cape Canaveral, and it is a perfect place to view them.
Old 08-08-2023, 02:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

New Smyrna on the east coast, Indian Rocks on the west coast.
Old 08-08-2023, 03:16 PM

Sarasota is nice. Lots of shops and restaurants. No board walk but it’s got a very nice beach. Not sure about “off season rates”. Everything seems expensive along the coast…..either that or my wife’s a big spender.
Old 08-08-2023, 03:38 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

My suggestion would be to go to Hudson, Fl which is 75 miles away on the West coast and takes about 1 ½ hour of driving time. I love to eat at the Inn on the Gulf, Sam’s Beach Bar and Get Hooked Bar & Grill. For breakfast we eat at the Tin Can Café. While the beach at Hudson is poor, there are many walking/ nature areas just to the south and north of Hudson. Our condo is located there on Sea Ranch Drive which gives us a direct view of the Gulf waters. If we are at the condo, you are welcome to stop and say hello. Send us a private message to arrange a time.
Old 08-08-2023, 03:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwatson1 View Post
Go to Anna Maria, Bradenton Beach, Holmes beach. They are all together. Go to Cortez for the best freshest seafood anywhere. You can watch it come off the boat. You can thank me later.
I second Anna Maria Island!
Old 08-09-2023, 05:22 AM

Stuart tends to have a less crowded beach and a great downtown that's on the water. Long Boat Key is another favorite which lots of great food.
Old 08-09-2023, 05:37 AM

I concur with both the AMI and Cortez suggestion!!!
Old 08-09-2023, 05:54 AM

We love Nokomis Beach. Out the door, down 75 South, Exit 200 from our house in The Villages, about 2 hrs. We elect to go on Sundays for several reasons. One, less traffic going down Sunday, hotel prices are cheaper on Sunday-Thursday rather than the weekend. 3, Nokomis Beach does not charge for parking.4) The beach is 15 mins away once you make your exit off 75. When you exit 200 on 75, and after you get on 41 south aka as Tamani Trail, you turn right at the light on Albi Road heading west. When you cross over the cause way and come to the stop sign, the beach and parking area are right in front of you as well as very clean restrooms. OR, our preferred spot, you can take a left, go to the end of the road and park by the North jetty and walk out onto the beach….we can also watch the boats come in and out, clean restrooms, also a snack bar, etc. All free parking. Hotels/ As you come across the intercoastal, take a right and its the first place on you left, and it is right on the beach. Its a little motel with efficiency rooms, 2 bedrooms and they even have one 3 bedroom unit as well…called “ A Beach Retreat” and is very clean and nice and they also have a pool. or you can go to the Hampton Inn back out on 41, instead of turning to the beach ,head down the road another two minutes and on the left is the Hampton inn, on the Hilton site, its called Hampton Inn, Bayside, South Sarasota…but it is located in Nokomis. Again, SUnday through Thursday their rates are cheaper than the weekend and they also have a beautiful pool area and a nice breakfast that starts at 6 am. We like this area as the water is so pretty, they are shark teeth to look for as you walk up the beach, lots of shells by the jetty if go early….and usually its not as crowded if you go early day and leave around 230 or 3. When we drive on a Sunday, we leave at 6 am, and are on the beach around 8 or 830 depending on traffic. Coming home we leave the beach by 230 and head up 75 and miss most of later day work traffic. Good luck, we like it better than the east Coast…prettier, often see dolphins…and other sea creatures, but no sharks that I have ever heard off…Its a great time, lots of good restaurants in the area… downtown Venice is pretty and lots of shops etc… Enjoy.
Old 08-09-2023, 06:00 AM
Default eat

I like Coconuts at Cocoa
Old 08-09-2023, 06:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
New Smyrna on the east coast, Indian Rocks on the west coast.
I second this opinion, except that Indian Rocks doesn't have a boardwalk or restaurants on the beach. But very uncrowded.
Old 08-09-2023, 06:09 AM

Wow! Urbana Ohio! I grew up near Greenville.
Closed Thread

Tags
i’m, beach, i’ve, crowded, nice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.