Quick Overnight Beach Getaway

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2023, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Since I’m still a newbie to Florida (just 8 months) - I need a recommendation for a 2-night stay along either the Gulf or Atlantic coasts. So far, since I moved to TV, I’ve visited Clearwater Beach, which was nice, but I’m looking for something a little less crowded. Before moving to Florida, I’ve visited Pensacola/Destin/Lauderdale-Miami/Key West, so I’m familiar with those areas. I’ve been told and read that Daytona Beach isn’t all that great. I’m looking for someplace where I can get really good seafood, has some nice walking trails or boardwalk along the beach, and is relaxing. I want to take advantage of the lower hotel costs this time of year, and before things get really crowded during high season. I’m willing to drive up to 4 hours from The Villages. Any recommendations? Thanks.
We have a condo down on North Hutchinson Island just south of Vero Beach. Lovely beaches in that area unspoiled by commercial enterprise. Disney has a hotel south of Vero, and there are several hotels on South Hutchinson Island, which also has nice beaches and several places to eat. Kyle G's is a favorite.
Old 08-09-2023, 06:31 AM

2nd vote for New Smyrna Beach. Walk/shop Flagler Ave, eat at The Garlic, Breakers or Chase’s on the beach. Wintered there for 5 years prior to owning in Richmond. Miss NSB beach walks!!
Old 08-09-2023, 06:35 AM

Anna Maria and Cortez…lots of fresh seafood and beaches. Do go to St Augustine over the holidays for the Night of Lights- the entire town is decorated for the holidays and it’s beautiful. If you go to Nokomis you can do a side visit to Siesta Key in the evening- the Village has a number of restaurants/bars.
Old 08-09-2023, 06:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Since I’m still a newbie to Florida (just 8 months) - I need a recommendation for a 2-night stay along either the Gulf or Atlantic coasts. So far, since I moved to TV, I’ve visited Clearwater Beach, which was nice, but I’m looking for something a little less crowded. Before moving to Florida, I’ve visited Pensacola/Destin/Lauderdale-Miami/Key West, so I’m familiar with those areas. I’ve been told and read that Daytona Beach isn’t all that great. I’m looking for someplace where I can get really good seafood, has some nice walking trails or boardwalk along the beach, and is relaxing. I want to take advantage of the lower hotel costs this time of year, and before things get really crowded during high season. I’m willing to drive up to 4 hours from The Villages. Any recommendations? Thanks.
yes Daytona S***cks less cvrowded and very very nice is Flagler beach a small quiet little town on the coast north of Ormond Beach that has it's own flair...
Old 08-09-2023, 07:04 AM

Try Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach, and St. Augustine.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:17 AM
Gold member

Lots of great recommendations. & the best is choosing one this time, doesn't preclude choosing another the next time, & the next
Old 08-09-2023, 07:22 AM

Fellow Californian here. When I think of beach, I think of the Pacific. You know, waves. So I go to the Atlantic side of the state. Starting north there are three beach towns in Jacksonville, Atlantic Beach, Jacksonville Beach and Neptune Beach. They run together within about a five mile stretch along the Atlantic Ocean and each has its own flavor. There’s a lovely hotel, One Ocean, right on the beach at the intersection of Atlantic Avenue and A1A. Lots of shops and restaurants. Some upscale and some funk. You can walk along the beach and then fall into Lynches (an Irish Pub) for Sunday Brunch. They don’t mind sand there and you can have a bottle of champagne and your choice of juice for $10. Going down the coast you have Vilano Beach near St Augustine and also St Augustine Beach. Beautiful too. Then there’s Flagler Beach and the Funky Pelican. You can actually eat on an outdoor patio and see the waves there. Not too many places have that, or I haven’t found them yet. Then there is New Smyrna, Cocoa and Vero Beach. Cocoa and Vero probably has more of what you’re looking for. Of course if you’re looking for a real adventure, head to Haulover Beach. Not a day trip, but certainly plenty of sights to see (wink). What ever you do, have fun and embrace the wild Atlantic. You may even see a dolphin or two.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:42 AM

Sand Dune Suites, Treasure Island ...Awesome place...walking distance to John's Pass
Old 08-09-2023, 07:47 AM
Default Beach Trip

If you want to head Northeast, try Amelia Island on the Atlantic side.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:53 AM

All the beaches will be crowded on weekends. If you are retired or have a flex schedule, and now that schools are starting, going during the week would be much more pleasant. My favorite, about 2.5 hrs from The Villages, is Pass-a-Grille, on the south tip of St.Pete beach. No boardwalks or trails, just a nice, clean beach, and very quiet. There are several places to eat, on the bay side, enough for a two day visit. There are many AirB&Bs and a couple of Mom and Pop motels on the beach front. It is not a condo canyon, as no structures are more than 2 or 3 stories high (except for a condo building at the southernmost point). To get there, just set your GPS for the Don Cesar, a very old, but quite fancy and expensive hotel, art deco style, and PINK!!. When you get to this hotel, head south for less than a mile, and there’s Pass a Grille. You can also hunt for specials at the Don Cesar, especially after Labor Day. The hotels will give you a parking permit, most of the time.
Old 08-09-2023, 08:36 AM

Siesta Key!!! My favorite! I love the beautiful white sand of the Gulf!
Old 08-09-2023, 09:30 AM
Gold member

Look into Longboat Key in Sarasota Very quiet, older group.
Siesta Key in Sarasota Younger and more active than Longboat Key.
Anna Maria in Bradenton : Younger family vibe
Old 08-09-2023, 09:32 AM

I have visited many of Florida’s beach towns over the years. My favorite is New Smyrna Beach. It’s only two hours away, has many good places to eat and Flagler Avenue is a fun shopping, eating and socializing piece of old Florida. I recommend you stay in a condo right on the non-driving part of the beach for excellent views and uncrowded beaches. Off-season you can get a condo (low-rise is my preference) or house right on the beach for the cost of a hotel room. Some of the best seafood in NSB is at JB’s Fish Camp, which is on the marsh just a block off the ocean on South A1A. There are numerous restaurants right on the beach.
Old 08-09-2023, 01:38 PM

i like cocoa beach - it has a bohemian feel to it
Old 08-09-2023, 02:23 PM

Consider Cedar Key. Not far and it feels like Key West without all the eccentric people. Good nightlife and restaurants. I stayed at the "Bed & Breakfast" it is the only one there. They only have one genal store in town so bring what you need.
Closed Thread

Tags
i’m, beach, i’ve, crowded, nice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.