Gulf beaches

Closed Thread
Old 04-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach
Default Gulf beaches

Went to two gulf beaches last month...Fred Howard in Tarpon Springs and Siesta Key Beach, south of Sarasota. Fred Howard is a very nice beach with good parking and facilities. The beach was busy, but not problematic ... some broken shells make flip flops or beach shoes a good idea. About an hour and a half from the south of TV. Siesta Key is rated by many as the best beach in the U.S., and it is certainly one of them from my experience. Very fine sand, almost no broken shells, and an extraordinary distance from the dunes to the water. Pretty crowded, but good services and a busy concession area. The parking can be difficult, so you may want to get there early. Siesta is about two and a quarter hours from south end of TV. Neither of these beaches allow parking on the beach like New Smyrna or other Atlantic beaches.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:07 PM

Cherie and i are beach lovers. You might also want to try St. Pete Beach. I'll meet you at the Palm Pavilion for a cold one.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Gold member

I was at Siesta Key beach Friday before last. It was nice but not as nice as the northern Gulf Coast beaches between Gulf Shores, Alabama and Apalachicola, Florida. I've lived in the area most of my life and they are the best sandy white beaches combined with beautiful water.
In reality, they're different!
Old 04-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Sage

I love he Gulf beaches, @eweissenbach. We haven't been to either of your two picks, but I will do some research and plan a trip. We took some guests to Fort Desoto for a cook-out and some fun fishing and swimming in the Gulf just a few days ago. It is really beautiful there too. Have you been?
Old 04-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Default Beaches

Ed I lived in Manatee County in the early 80's and I'll take the Manatee County Beaches over Siesta Key any day! It's the same sand but not as crowded as it's Sarasota neighbor. Coquina Beach has ample parking, a refreshment stand and bath house and a lot shorter walk then Siesta. Try it next time you are down there. I also recommend the clam chowder at the Seafood Shack on the inter coastal near the Cortez Ave bridge.
Jeff
Old 04-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Sage

Honeymoon Island State Park has a very nice beach. It costs $8 entry fee but disabled veterans (thank you, Florida) get in free for life.

Nice beach, changing areas, parking lots, and snack bar.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Went to two gulf beaches last month...Fred Howard in Tarpon Springs and Siesta Key Beach, south of Sarasota. Fred Howard is a very nice beach with good parking and facilities. The beach was busy, but not problematic ... some broken shells make flip flops or beach shoes a good idea. About an hour and a half from the south of TV. Siesta Key is rated by many as the best beach in the U.S., and it is certainly one of them from my experience. Very fine sand, almost no broken shells, and an extraordinary distance from the dunes to the water. Pretty crowded, but good services and a busy concession area. The parking can be difficult, so you may want to get there early. Siesta is about two and a quarter hours from south end of TV. Neither of these beaches allow parking on the beach like New Smyrna or other Atlantic beaches.

Thanks!

I've been to Tarpon Springs but haven't been to Siesta Key. We will try to make that one this summer.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Default Manasota Key

Manasota Key in Englewood is a barrier island that is old Florida. No highrises, friendly, and uncrowded. The beach is known for its fossils and shark's teeth which makes beach walking an adventure.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.