Tauck Tours & others?

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Tauck Tours & others?

I am a pretty unsophisticated traveler and if I am going to venture out of the country, I know I will need a tour company to take care of me. I get some really nice catalogs from Tauck. I have been told that even though they look expensive at first glance, they include things that other tours do not.

Is there anyone here who has personal experience with Tauck and would not mind sharing thoughts?

I would also like suggestions about other tour companies to use. And I would appreciate knowing about any to stay away from. Tour company advice in general?

Thanks.

Boomer
Old 06-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Default Re: Tauck Tours & others?

We know a couple that will only go with this co. They get the best rooms in great hotels and are treated like family. Does sound good.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:15 AM
Gold member

Hi BBB, Tauck Tours is an excellent tour company. To keep there prices competitive they have cut back on things that used to be included in a tour. Tours that are no longer offered as part of the package are now under the title of Optional Tours and you will have to pay if you want these excursions.

Each tour company has both pros and cons. It depends upon where you want to go, what your budget is, how many days you want to spend abroad, how many people you want to travel with, how you want to travel (ship, plane, boat, bus, or a combination). There are other variables that are part of the decision making process.

There are companies I would not recommend for various reasons, but I do not feel comfortable posting them here on this forum.

If you would like BBB please email me and I will answer your individual questions.

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 06-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Platinum member

BBB:

In mid-April I did my 7th Tauck tour (Williamsburg & Washington, DC and, as usual, had a ball.

I worked for nearly 20 years in an upscale travel agency. We sold Tauck almost exclusively, partly because our clientele was pretty well-heeled. And, it is true that Tauck sounds expensive, but it inevitably works out to be a really, really good deal.

Case in point: on my own first trip with them, we stayed a couple of nights in the grand Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City. A single room, as posted on the back of the door, was quoted as CA$600 a night - at that time roughly US$450. A bit above my personal touch! But, I figured out how much the entire trip had cost me, including airfare and the 2 or 3 three not-included meals: less than US$325 per night. That gives a good indication of how Tauck gets good rates at the very best hotels. [The same should be true of any tour operator; it's just that Tauck specializes in 4-star or better hotels, whereas other companies may do only 3-star or even less]

In many ways, the best part of traveling with Tauck is their meal "plan." For meals that are shown as included, you generally have free rein off the standard menu! So, when a lobster dish was on the menu at the Mayflower in Washington on my last trip, at $34, I didn't feel upset at ordering it, 'cuz I'd already paid!

As a single, I've never been treated like one. My rooms have always been just as good as the doubles; indeed, I often am in a room with two king beds, so have to make the hard decision as to which to sleep in :joke:

And, I've never met anyone I disliked on any of the trips. In fact, I still communicate with a good many; even had dinner the other night with an English couple I met in Costa Rica in 2004 - they're renting briefly here for the third time!

I could go on and on, but don't want to bore you and everyone else. Glad to answer any pm, however!

SWR

Old 06-04-2008, 11:28 PM

I highly recommend Tauck. We traveled with Tauck to Hawaii and two trips out west, Grand Canyon and Yellowstone. Trips were expensive, however lodging and meals were top notch. You get what you pay for! In our younger years we dealt with other companies and they were just fine. Now that we are older it is nice to be spoiled and Tauck does just that.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Gold member

Hi,

What has been written about Tauck tours is true. It is a high end tour company and as MSPNA wrote "You get what you pay for" is true. Tauck like other high end tour companies will use, at times, the same hotels and resorts as other tour companies. And like all hotels there are better rooms than others, meaning parking area view vs ocean view. I have had clients who have been in rooms with the parking area view.

When I called Tauck about this, they were very apologetic, and stated that the hotel was filled to capacity and there was nothing they could do. I believe they wrote my clients a letter acknowledging the view from the room and gave an explanation how that happened.

I have booked repeat clients on there tours over the years and what they notice most is that what used to be included in the tour package are now sometimes optional tours. This is how they keep there prices competitive.

What SWR wrote about the friends she has made is true on all tours.

Also what she wrote about dining is true. Many of my clients like the idea they are given a menu and can choose any items they want.

In reference to "single room, as posted on the back of the door, was quoted as CA$600 a night - at that time roughly US$450. A bit above my personal touch!" These figures are the maximum amount they charge for that room. If you stay in any hotel room they will have those figures.

When you make reservations find out what discounts you are entitled to, check the web also for current prices. Unless there is a major event happening where you are you will be paying a lot less for the room.

Cost of total package - I agree with what has been written. When I have taken into consideration what each item would cost, if I booked each item individually - with all possible discounts taken, a tour package has always been less expensive.

I need to know the cost of these components because many of my clients know them. They are asking me, is it worth taking a package as compared to doing it on their own.

Like all travellers and/or agents I could go on.

From my own experience whether my clients have taken the luxury route, moderate route or the budget route they all have had fantastic times. It depends on what you want to experience, how you want to experience where you are going and in some cases your budget.

I have several couples who can afford high end tours, they go on budget tours. They feel they mingle more with the local people in each place, feel they get "more of a feel" of a place, eat in local restaurants and are in places that are not tourist oriented.

It is an individual choice. Whatever you decide to do have a wonderful time.

Just my thoughts.

HB
Old 06-05-2008, 01:35 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

I really like what you are all telling me. I have not done much traveling, but when I do, I like to have things taken care of by people who know their stuff.

I keep looking at those Tauck trips by rail through the Canadian Rockies.

I am also interested in learning about Elderhostel. (Horrible Name. How do they expect to snag us boomers?) I realize that Elderhostel and Tauck are different approaches to travel. And Elderhostel is a .org I think.

Once again, thank you all for the information.

(I think I will go start a separate thread about Elderhostel.)

Boomer

Old 06-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Platinum member

I'll reinforce HB's remarks, although I'm not sure where Tauck has made many cuts. Granted, my last trip was after a gap of almost two years, so things may have changed. But each trip has always included some little special thing that was not written up in the itinerary or documents. That adds "fun!"

Oh, just to set HB right - SWR is male!!!!! :

SWR
Old 06-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Gold member

SWR :redface: :redface: :dontknow:

I stand corrected. From now on, to be politically correct, I will write s/he. Hopefully I will not be :redface: :redface: again.

Thank you for correcting me.

HB - female
Old 11-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Default John Hall's Alaska Tours

Has anyone ever taken a cruise/tour using John Hall's Alaska Tours? If so, do you recommend using them?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.