Travel insurance recommendations?

Closed Thread
Old 03-09-2015, 09:09 AM
Veteran member
Default Travel insurance recommendations?

We will be cruising from Ft lauderdale soon and will be gone 5 days. I looked into travel insurance through the travel company that we booked the cruise with. The price for insurance for those 5 days seemed unreasonable to me. We paid $1400 each for the cruise and they want over $900 for insurance. Having had no experience with travel insurance, I'm looking for advice and suggestions for insurance companies.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

We have used Travel Guard several times for cruises. Normally, in the range of $300 for the both of us. Be aware, it does depend upon your age, as well.

I'm never so concerned with loosing my cruise fare...I always get insurance that provides for an airlift, if that should become necessary. That airlift will cost you in the neighborhood of $25,000 if that happens.

Enjoy your cruise!
Old 03-09-2015, 09:22 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
We will be cruising from Ft lauderdale soon and will be gone 5 days. I looked into travel insurance through the travel company that we booked the cruise with. The price for insurance for those 5 days seemed unreasonable to me. We paid $1400 each for the cruise and they want over $900 for insurance. Having had no experience with travel insurance, I'm looking for advice and suggestions for insurance companies.
I think you might have gotten the numbers incorrect. As a outside agent for a villages Travel agency, I have to tell you, thats way to much.

If you got those numbers from your agent, call the cruise line directly and ask them for a trip insurance quote.....not a year quote, which maybe what you were given.

If you would perfer, send me a pm with the ship and the dates and I will look up the hopefully, more correct number and let you know what it should be so you can call back your company and tell them they made a mistake..

I do also believe you can go onto the cruise lines web site and attempt to book the cruise yourself and add travel insurance to your price and see what you get but if you are unable, send the info to me.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:35 AM
Platinum member

A good comparison site is InsureMyTrip dot Com.
Some great articles to learn what you may really need. I prefer Primary Coverage.
Travel Insurance Plans, Quotes, Research, Reviews, and Advice ? InsureMyTrip
Suffering from TV envy
Old 03-09-2015, 10:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
A good comparison site is InsureMyTrip dot Com.
Some great articles to learn what you may really need. I prefer Primary Coverage.
Travel Insurance Plans, Quotes, Research, Reviews, and Advice ? InsureMyTrip
I use InsureMyTrip to compare prices and terms of coverage.

Here is another link that may help. Travel Insurance Primer for Cruise Travelers - Cruise Critic
Old 03-09-2015, 11:00 AM
Eternal Member

I have breathing issues and had to get airlifted off of St. Maarten last May. Cost was $24,100 cash up front !!!
I now have travel insurance through Emergency Assistance Plus. It is $189.00 for the year for both of us. They are endorsed by the American Legion, VFW, Marine Corp and many others.
Because we are American Legion members, we got the insurance for $109.00 per year.
I know people who have had to use it and they said awesome.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
I have breathing issues and had to get airlifted off of St. Maarten last May. Cost was $24,100 cash up front !!!
I now have travel insurance through Emergency Assistance Plus. It is $189.00 for the year for both of us. They are endorsed by the American Legion, VFW, Marine Corp and many others.
Because we are American Legion members, we got the insurance for $109.00 per year.
I know people who have had to use it and they said awesome.
Bonny...correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to pay that money up front, so you need a credit card with a limit that high. Your insurance will reimburse you at a later date.

When shopping for travel insurance, make sure you get the coverage you might need and not cheap it out. You could be sorry, if something happens unexpectedly.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Are you talking about insurance if you have to cancel your trip, or medical insurance while you are on the trip?

For medical insurance when out of the country, we have always used Medex. $90 apiece for three weeks in Europe. Includes airlift and medical, but not trip cancellation. https://www.medexassist.com/

They offer many different options.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:32 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Bonny...correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to pay that money up front, so you need a credit card with a limit that high. Your insurance will reimburse you at a later date.

When shopping for travel insurance, make sure you get the coverage you might need and not cheap it out. You could be sorry, if something happens unexpectedly.
Yes, I had credit cards to put it on. Otherwise they would have helped me secure a loan or I would have stayed in the hospital there until someone home could get me the money or I could fly on a regular plane.
Medicare would not cover it. However after much work and 3 months, Tricare reimbursed us almost the full amount.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:35 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Are you talking about insurance if you have to cancel your trip, or medical insurance while you are on the trip?

For medical insurance when out of the country, we have always used Medex. $90 apiece for three weeks in Europe. Includes airlift and medical, but not trip cancellation. https://www.medexassist.com/

They offer many different options.
Right our travel insurance doesn't cover the cost of trip, however they will help you with lost luggage, medications, passport along with airlifting, etc.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:44 AM

We use Allianz for travel insurance. Have put in claims that were paid oromptly.
We get the top coverage for trip cancellation, delayed luggage, air lift etc.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:37 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for all the good info. I will check on the companies mentioned. I feel better already! Seemed like the cost of insurance was going to take all the fun out of the trip.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.